4 students killed, 11 injured when hit by former director's car: Thailand

webfact

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was his first seizure, and he didnt realize he had epilepsy then it was a tragic accident. If he knew he was driving with a real risk of seizure then it was manslaughter or worse, and they should throw the book at him.

By "throwing the book at him", I hope you mean a life sentence of hard labour with no chance of parole or appeal. And here, life MEANS life.

I had in mind a more medieval punishment involving 4 horses, a disembowling blade, and a length of hemp rope. And the dead kiddies mums and dads to giddy-up the nags.

Thats why you choose Jaidam as nickname !

how this people can have cars where they need to work 4-5 years and spend all money for the car, not possible

Did you think about your comment before posting.

The man was a former school director,meaning he had a previous, reasonably well paid career behind him.

I doubt he was on B10,000 a month. He normally had a driver, who was absent today and for some unknown reason he drove himself.

Tragedy struck. This people sometimes have money to buy cars.

I know of no country in the west that allows a person with a history of epilepsy to operate a motor vehicle, for obvious reasons. I would have to surmise that he had a history of epilepsy since it would be impossible to diagnose this condition on the spot and would need a full medical exam to substantiate the condition. My condolences to the victims' families. Especially since this was a preventable tragedy.

Very valid point made here

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I know of no country in the west that allows a person with a history of epilepsy to operate a motor vehicle, for obvious reasons. I would have to surmise that he had a history of epilepsy since it would be impossible to diagnose this condition on the spot and would need a full medical exam to substantiate the condition. My condolences to the victims' families. Especially since this was a preventable tragedy.

This is not a valid point. People with epilepsy (not "epileptics") may drive if they have seizure management, ie. if their meds suppress the seizures. Sure, if this guy knew he had a risk of having a seizure, then he shouldn't be behind the wheel, and may be culpable.

RIP poor kids, a very short life.

Further I'm amazed (or shocked) that posters condemn someone who is driving although he has a history of epilepsy (given the fact that).

All over the world it is not allowed to drive a motor-vehicle when the driver is drunk or above a set limit of alcohol in the blood.

STILL many accidents are caused by drunk drivers, everywhere!

So please don't play saint by saying how is this possible in Thailand, it happens everywhere!

But I agree that such a person should not drive, neither those that have been drinking over the limit and those that have used drugs that alters their vision or reaction time.

TIT , nobody will stop you if you have any disease here, you can still drive until a tragic accident like this will happen . And the driver survived with some minor injuries. So he will be back on the roads again pretty soon.

Who will stop him from driving ? Not the police, not his doctors. It's just another day for him tomorrow, he will be out there in the traffic , gambling with others lifes.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

RIP kids ❤️

Epileptic sufferers SHOULD NOT be allowed to drive as is in my country.

They are a liability just the same as drunk drivers in my opinion!!!

2 bodies at fault here.

1: the driver for even thinking he's fit and able to drive in his condition.

2: The medic/Dr that wrote the medical certificate saying he's fit to drive.

He should be charged with SEVEN counts of manslaughter and locked up for life!!!

I got my Thai car and motorcycle licenses two weeks ago. Obtaining the doctors certificate involved walking in to a random clinic, telling the doctor my height and weight, him taking my blood pressure, then him signing the cert. My BP was borderline high, too. How would anyone know but the driver?

Maybe on of those bizarre things that happens, But a school director with that condition and driving when he could have had this problem at any time.

The other question is WAS it a fit or is that was reported----reality or excuse we do not know.

Epileptic seizures are verifiable through blood tests and brain scans...!! Anyone falsely claiming to have had a seizure will be found out...!!

• Like 1

My niece goes to this school. She lives with us and just showed me some pretty shocking pics on her phone. A horrific accident, the kind that just should never happen. I am additionally concerned that a group of kids 12 years and up, now all have gruesome reminders on their smartphones. Beyond that, I have nothing to add.

• Like 1

This is a tragedy, but what's the point in speculating? WE all know that in our respective countries what the laws are regarding being in a fit condition to drive, but Thailand is so different, I've heard it so many times "This is Thailand"

I'm also sure that Epilepsy can strike you at any age and can be triggered by many different things, a stroke being one of them, some people have mild strokes and are unaware of what's happened to them.

I wouldn't be too quick to judge this guy, nobody knows if he had a medical condition prior to this or not but it will soon be disclosed if he was taking any medication for it. It's all too easy to speculate, from the comfort of our own homes, he didn't set out from his house in the morning with an intention to mow down the kids, and he has to live with this for the rest of his life.

RIP to the deceased Children.

Moot point to speculate.

Thai people are reactive. Thais do not believe in prevention if they are wearing their amulets.

From direct experience with Thais I have seen people ignoring progressively degenerating medical conditions (Diabetes type 2 and cataracts, etc.) until they had loss of vision and fainting spells before they sought medical attention. Only then, after I pounded on the subject repeatedly, they decided first to consult their fortune tellers. As you well put it: TIT

Why do some people generalise so much??? My wife is Thai and has no faith in amulets. As soon as anybody in our family has any symptoms she brings them straight to a doctor. She also doesn't believe in fortune tellers. She also ensures our son always wears a seat belt etc...Generalisations about any race or culture smack of ignorance and intolerance.....

This is not a valid point. People with epilepsy (not "epileptics") may drive if they have seizure management, ie. if their meds suppress the seizures. Sure, if this guy knew he had a risk of having a seizure, then he shouldn't be behind the wheel, and may be culpable.

so you are saying he had a valid point? biggrin.png

I appreciate all the folks on here talking about revoking driving licenses or not having a driving license issued in cases such as this etc. but in the 3 minor accidents I've been involved in since moving to LOS I was the only bugger in any of them who actually had a driving license, and two of the three weren't even insured.

I suppose I'm what some would call a Thai "apologist" in many things but when it comes to driving the word "scofflaw" might as well say " See also a large amount of Thai drivers"

I have had drivers' licences in the U.S., Taiwan, Germany, France, and Greece. Now I have 2 Thai licenses. I have never been asked if I have had any debilitating diseases. Perhaps I have been but did not notice because I have never had any.

One would soon know when looking at the driver at the time of the incident. I remember my dad having them...............He wasn't allowed to drive..

Same as my sister, she was rather selfish and "hid" her grand mal epilepsy and passed her driving test but was reported after suffering a fit in Germany. Luckily she never had the chance to get behind the wheel of a car. A family friend also with grand mal epilepsy ended up killing a couple of people after suffering a fit at the wheel.

If true, I understand the wish to be independent but I also understand that common sense should take preference.

Just seen the video on Facebook...absolutely shocking...no parent would want to see that.

Of course lots of people were standing around videoing the scene....I felt a lot of anger as nobody seemed to help or comfort the injured/dying kids.

Tears rolling down my cheeks.

TIT , nobody will stop you if you have any disease here, you can still drive until a tragic accident like this will happen . And the driver survived with some minor injuries. So he will be back on the roads again pretty soon.

Who will stop him from driving ? Not the police, not his doctors. It's just another day for him tomorrow, he will be out there in the traffic , gambling with others lifes.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

How cruel. Do you really think just another day tomorrow for him?

Unbelievable.

As a school admin he will be lamenting for the rest of his life, no doubt about it.

• Like 1

This is a tragedy, but what's the point in speculating? WE all know that in our respective countries what the laws are regarding being in a fit condition to drive, but Thailand is so different, I've heard it so many times "This is Thailand"

I'm also sure that Epilepsy can strike you at any age and can be triggered by many different things, a stroke being one of them, some people have mild strokes and are unaware of what's happened to them.

I wouldn't be too quick to judge this guy, nobody knows if he had a medical condition prior to this or not but it will soon be disclosed if he was taking any medication for it. It's all too easy to speculate, from the comfort of our own homes, he didn't set out from his house in the morning with an intention to mow down the kids, and he has to live with this for the rest of his life.

RIP to the deceased Children.

Moot point to speculate.

Thai people are reactive. Thais do not believe in prevention if they are wearing their amulets.

From direct experience with Thais I have seen people ignoring progressively degenerating medical conditions (Diabetes type 2 and cataracts, etc.) until they had loss of vision and fainting spells before they sought medical attention. Only then, after I pounded on the subject repeatedly, they decided first to consult their fortune tellers. As you well put it: TIT

People are people, I have seen plenty of people in the US do exactly the same before talking to a Dr. they keep hoping it will go away. Do not imply it is some sort of Thai thing to do t.his.

It is the same as saying Thai people are lazy and will not work when all one has to do is open your eyes and look around at all of the Thai people at work on a daily basis.

Edited by moe666

Just seen the video on Facebook...absolutely shocking...no parent would want to see that.

Of course lots of people were standing around videoing the scene....I felt a lot of anger as nobody seemed to help or comfort the injured/dying kids.

Tears rolling down my cheeks.

No surprise the video has now been removed.....

Maybe on of those bizarre things that happens, But a school director with that condition and driving when he could have had this problem at any time.

The other question is WAS it a fit or is that was reported----reality or excuse we do not know.

Epileptic seizures are verifiable through blood tests and brain scans...!! Anyone falsely claiming to have had a seizure will be found out...!!

He would not have to attend for a brain scan, reports on accidents can contain anything, look at the cause of death certificates here in Thailand.

I mentioned the fact because we don't know or may never know.

Ask the son of the elderly couple from Boston UK who died at the same moment in their bedroom at Downtown INN Chiang Mai. --cause heart attacks ??????

Edited by ginjag
  • Like 1

how this people can have cars where they need to work 4-5 years and spend all money for the car, not possible

Former school director.

A nieghbour is a retired school director. Recieved 2m baht lump sum and 40k p/m for life.

They also live a life of interest free loans and mortgages.

wai2.gif

My partner is from Nong Bua Lamphu.

She knows people at the school. The epileptic fit is a just a cover story.

The director had a big row with one of the teachers at the school and drove off at high speed and lost control of his car. Everyone in the area knows what happened.

Anyone who is familiar with upcountry Thailand, knows a school director, ex- or not, is a big cheese and is not going to be prosecuted for anything. The deaths of 4 children is so terrible that a cover story has to be concocted for the press. The story cannot be hushed up.

Money will change hands and that will be that.

You can talk about epilepsy all you want but it has nothing to do with what happened here. He was driving too fast and lost control of his car.

My partner is from Nong Bua Lamphu.

She knows people at the school. The epileptic fit is a just a cover story.

The director had a big row with one of the teachers at the school and drove off at high speed and lost control of his car. Everyone in the area knows what happened.

Anyone who is familiar with upcountry Thailand, knows a school director, ex- or not, is a big cheese and is not going to be prosecuted for anything. The deaths of 4 children is so terrible that a cover story has to be concocted for the press. The story cannot be hushed up.

Money will change hands and that will be that.

You can talk about epilepsy all you want but it has nothing to do with what happened here. He was driving too fast and lost control of his car.

Sadly, probably true..............