Police set up special unit for football gambling suppression

webfact

Police set up special unit for football gambling suppression
By Digital Content

14024760961669.jpg

BANGKOK, June 11 -- The Thai Metropolitan Police Bureau set up three special investigative units to crack down on football gambling ahead of the World Cup 2014, which kicks off tomorrow.

Deputy Thai Metropolitan Police Bureau Commissioner, Pol Maj Gen Chantawit Ramasut, who oversees crime prevention, said the bureau would set up three special investigative units to beef up its prevention and suppression of football gambling.

Every team dispatched must report to headquarters daily on the number of arrests they have made.

Gen Chantawit said the investigative unit will be the main means of eliminating the crime, while public relations messages on preventing football gambling are being publicised in schools and communities.

In the meantime, he expressed concern regarding online gambling websites, stressing that the bureau would coordinate with the ICT ministry, as well as the 191 special branch police unit in football gambling website suppression. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-06-11

Unfortunately gambling is one vice that would be hard to suppress, it’s in our blood and practiced almost on a daily bases, it’s done between our family members at home, between our co-workers in the office, between our children at schools and universities, wherever one looks there is some form of gambling going on. I even heard that there was a underground betting station as to how many deaths will occur during our 7 most dangerous days during the holiday season.

With the general knowledge of football in Thailand i would suggest someone may put a million baht on ghana to win,possibly from a tip from the pee in a local tree,so good i hope they do stop it,as many people could lose a lot based on what the local tree or lake told them.

If they really do it the amount of Brits will drop they love to gamble just like Thais

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

But with the Brits, how can the police find out? They speak Farang :-)

Bloody stupid childish nonsense, get gambling state controlled with a minimal tax slapped on it and see the state coffers blossom.

The country is still living in the darn stone age!

They already have, it's called Lotteries.

Unfortunately gambling is one vice that would be hard to suppress, it’s in our blood and practiced almost on a daily bases, it’s done between our family members at home, between our co-workers in the office, between our children at schools and universities, wherever one looks there is some form of gambling going on. I even heard that there was a underground betting station as to how many deaths will occur during our 7 most dangerous days during the holiday season.

How very Buddhist.

So when Thais go the temple are they praying for a lottery win?

How very Buddhist.

So when Thais go the temple are they praying for a lottery win?

I think they go because they have not won,hope for a blessing so they may win next time.

That "special unit", are those the same policemen who run (or receive monthly stipends from) all those year-round illegal gambling dens that allegedly don't exist (and show me only ONE policeman who doesn't have a hand in the till one way or another)? Just wondering, because we all know how it goes. Trust in Thai police? Man, that hasn't been an issue for decades.

Why not assemble an Army squad deallng with the problem? At least that's an organization that so far has performed admirably. My first task as coup leader would have been to disband the so-called Royal Thai Police altogether. After all, they are the ones who condoned - nay, supported through inactivity and blatant disregard of the laws of the land - that the situation could get out of hand in the first place.

Close to where I live there is a well organised football betting system running at least for the last 7 years. The entire neighborhood is placing bets all week long on EPL games. Now, take a wild guess who is running and protecting the show. To give you a hint: it’s not the local barber shop owner.

Bloody stupid childish nonsense, get gambling state controlled with a minimal tax slapped on it and see the state coffers blossom.

The country is still living in the darn stone age!

They already have, it's called Lotteries.

I am talking gambling in general not just the silly number BS!

My Girlfriend once came screaming into my apartment, they had been raided for playing cards illegally and the BIB arrested her friends, but she managed to escape...I pissed myself laughing and thought what a great story...sadly it was true..didn't seem to stop her the following week from taking me to 3 illegal gambling dens in rachada. when I asked how come they are able to open in broad daylight. her response man pay to open. so I guess this betting on football is going to catch a few officers in shall we say a conflict of interest!