Phuket beach clubs told, knock down illegal structures

webfact

So, the little fish are removing their shacks, but the big fish are staying as they have "invested" more? Seems fair, and about right for the Phuket way of doing things.

Maybe wait a bit and not jump to conclusions?

• Like 1

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday afternoon went down to Kamala an than over to Surin.

A few ( in the minority) are taking down their structures, even in Surin, taking up their bricks, but the majority are trying to do business as usual

There is BIG money invested in some of these an i am sure they have not yet recouped their investment.

I wonder about the one at the end of Surin beach, no doubt illegal but...

Seems they have also removed the carts/ make shift food stalls from the Surin parking lot!!

It will look great, like it did years ago...

There was a lot of good food actually in those parking lot stalls, and as an option to the tourists whose choices in that area are pretty darn expensive, especially at the resorts they're staying at, well,it's a little too bad really. Hopefully they dole out equally to those beach clubs, as it does not seem at all fair to clear out the little people and leave the big fish.

Money laundering threat will be easily followed when they follow the money to the people paid to allow Catch, Bimi,Diamond,Zazada.

• Like 1

At least till the present deadline expires.??

They were give 7 days and have until next Tuesday. They were told if they did not self-demolish, then the authorities would do so, AND they would FACE PROSECUTION.

So is there any sign of activity from the big fish (apart from preparing the large brown envelopes, I mean)? If not, then we might as well all go home and forget it.

They were give 7 days and have until next Tuesday. They were told if they did not self-demolish, then the authorities would do so, AND they would FACE PROSECUTION.

So is there any sign of activity from the big fish (apart from preparing the large brown envelopes, I mean)? If not, then we might as well all go home and forget it.

You need to note that the deadline was 7 days. Not the usual 30-90 days timespan, which is long enough for general public to forget and officials to be paid.

I think the army means business and would loose face if these clubs are still there. I also think that the army is not an entity which likes to loose face.

We will be able to see what really happens soon enough.

had a look an hour ago,

more an more of kamala beach is being returned to nature!!

even the places on the far side of the walk way

"more an more of kamala beach is being returned to nature!" - I wonder if there will be any consequences if the tea money is not returned at the same rate? :)

• Like 1

Update Sunday 3 pm

95% of Kamala public land is now clear of all structures an by late tomorrow it will be 100% If the beach wasn't so dirty cause of the storms it would look so nice.

over to Surin

<deleted>

less than 20% have started clearing and ONLY one of the ones between the parking lot and the big club at the north end have done anything. Otherwise its business as normal.

I guess they figure since they spent so much $$ they will be immune from the upcoming Tuesday deadline.

I would imagine there's going to be some very unhappy people in a few days. I look forward to the confrontation between bulldozers, a few hundred police and Army vs the local " we are above all these rules"

• Like 1

So Catch, Bimi, etc are trading as normal? I saw some photographs but couldn't identify exactly where they were taken? Zazada (the newest beach club at the Northern end has been demolished?)

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile appjxnhl

But you said :less than 20% have started clearing and ONLY one of the ones between the parking lot and the big club at the north end have done anything

That's different from

none of the big clubs from the parking lot all the way to the north end have even begun to do anything other than stay open as normal

PHUKET NEWS- Monday 16 June 2014, 05:53PM- Anthika Muangrod

Demolition time: Phuket beach clubs bow to government orders

PHUKET: The beachfront at Surin Beach began to undergo a massive change today (June 16) as restaurants and beach clubs, who have been sitting on public land – in some cases for decades – complied with government orders to clear illegal structures. - See more at: http://www.thephuketnews.com/demolition-time-phuket-beach-clubs-bow-to-government-orders-46883.php?news-alert=1#sthash.yXsYOBHf.dpuf

1402916103_1-org.jpg

• Like 1

But you said :less than 20% have started clearing and ONLY one of the ones between the parking lot and the big club at the north end have done anything

That's different from

none of the big clubs from the parking lot all the way to the north end have even begun to do anything other than stay open as normal

not different at all

the only one that was being torn down ( they had taken up their bricks an than put their chairs and tables on the sand) was not half the size ( ie NOT ONE OF THE BIG CLUBS) of all the ones near the end which have not done anything

but it doesn't matter as it seems they held on as long as thye could an than figured the army is bigger than them!!!

Hip Hip Hurraayyyyyyyclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Edited by phuketrichard

. At Nai Thon beach a few restaurants at the south end have taken down their premises, leaving hundreds of now deteriorating, shedding plastic sand bags.

There was trash coating the entire length of it. None of the beaches will ever return to nature.

Every single wave line is marked with a line with tiny pieces of plastic- another couple of years and the sea will be dead. The baby turtle releases should be stopped, no way those creatures have a chance of surviving in that soup.

Cannot believe people travel from thousands of miles away to swim in this garbage.

Edited by EBlair48

DO people read before posting??facepalm.gif

as of yesterday afternoon

There were a lot of conflicting reports from different sources.. Most do not identify the specific venues. The pictures I saw online were not of Zazada..

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile appjxnhl

Edited by jaffacakes1

It looks like your posts in these threads 'nothing is going to change, they just need some envelopes' were not completely correct.

Illegal as they are/were, I am sure that the small simple made of straw/wood/bamboo eateries/bars right on the beach are/were an important part of the charm Thailand has/had for tourists.

And the bigger beach clubs and restaurants were also an attraction... Look you can't have it both ways, do you want them cleared or not??

It looks like your posts in these threads 'nothing is going to change, they just need some envelopes' were not completely correct.

Where did I say nothing is going to change? I was saying there should be more physical evidence of demolition of the bigger structures given the imminent deadline (today), after which they were threatened with prosecution (which means big fines and jail)..

Where did I say nothing is going to change?

Your posts 30 and 36 in this thread, and quite a few in the other threads about this as well.

But hey, it's ok, it really look they're finally going.

Where did I say nothing is going to change?

Your posts 30 and 36 in this thread, and quite a few in the other threads about this as well.

You do understand the purpose of a question mark in punctuation. I was asking what was happening, not saying nothing would change. You're beginning to sound like that other <deleted> on PW.

Where did I say nothing is going to change? I was saying there should be more physical evidence of demolition of the bigger structures given the imminent deadline (today), after which they were threatened with prosecution (which means big fines and jail)..

Very little chance of conspiracy theories here while the Military are pro-actively involved in seeing the job get done.

Outside of going to the beach yourself to see, alternatively you just need to have faith in your local media who are also empowered and compelled to report the truth accurately at this time.

You do understand the purpose of a question mark in punctuation. I was asking what was happening, not saying nothing would change. You're beginning to sound like that other <deleted> on PW.

My last post on this.

Your words are really clear in indicating 'nothing will happen':

So, the little fish are removing their shacks, but the big fish are staying as they have "invested" more? Seems fair, and about right for the Phuket way of doing things.

• Like 1

My last post on this.

Your words are really clear in indicating 'nothing will happen':

Were you absent during the question marks lessons at school, and don't they use sarcasm and irony where you come from? Edited by LivinginKata
insulting remarks removed