Buying Rice

chiangrai

Hi,

I have noticed that the rice for sale in the local shops is not so nice.It must be commercial varieties that don't taste very nutritious.

I went to Tesco and found jasmine rice and bought the most expensive one and it was some bit better.

Does any body know where to by good rice or better still where to by Basmati rice in Thailand or online.

When you say "the local shops" do you mean the rice merchants that have 20 or so opened sacks of different types of rice? I'm suprised you haven't found a good one. Round about 45 baht and up per kilo should get you a nice fragrant and soft rice.

When you say "the local shops" do you mean the rice merchants that have 20 or so opened sacks of different types of rice? I'm suprised you haven't found a good one. Round about 45 baht and up per kilo should get you a nice fragrant and soft rice.

The OP prizes basmati rice more highly than even good Thai rice. I don't think he's going to be satisfied with what Thai people consider good, i.e. soft.

In such a vein there was a discussion recently on the perceived virtues of Jasmine rice here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/725742-jasmine-ricewhats-the-big-deal/

• Like 1