vaccinations etc

beau thai

Talking to a thai girl earlier this week who explained her 2 year old had just had a typhoid vaccination, as had she on the advice of her farang boyfriend/husband- father of the child anyway!

While I dont want to be anal about this stuff I jusrt wonder if I am too laid back in not doing aything like that here.

Do other TV members routinely have vaccinations here and if so what are the most sensible ones to go for? Or maybe there is a website that sets out the risks and which to go for?

I would highly recommend Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B and Tetanus as firsts. Costs in the local clinic where I get stuff done is B540 per Hep B shot, B1300 per Hep A shot and B100 per Tetanus shot. 3 of each is recommended.

Depending on age, many Westerners will already have been immunized against Hep A as it has been part of the routine immunization schedule in most countries for a while now. But those who are older will not have had it, in which case it is definitely indicated. Hepatitis B is also definitely advised particularly if you will be having sex with locals.

The pre-exposure rabies vaccine is also a good idea, lots of stray dogs here and rabies is endemic. It will greatly reduce the number of shots needed if you get bitten.

If you live in a rural area or will spend much time in one, the Japanese B vaccination is a good idea but not needed if living in a city, the resevoir is pigs so it is most prominent in areas with pig farming.

That's really it for Thailand-specific needs. A tetanus booster if you haven't had one in the past 10 years is always a good idea but nothing specific to Thailand.

Typhoid is uncommon in Thailand and in any event the vaccine is not very effective so would not recommend it.

• Like 1

Depending on age, many Westerners will already have been immunized against Hep A as it has been part of the routine immunization schedule in most countries for a while now. But those who are older will not have had it, in which case it is definitely indicated. Hepatitis B is also definitely advised particularly if you will be having sex with locals.

The pre-exposure rabies vaccine is also a good idea, lots of stray dogs here and rabies is endemic. It will greatly reduce the number of shots needed if you get bitten.

If you live in a rural area or will spend much time in one, the Japanese B vaccination is a good idea but not needed if living in a city, the resevoir is pigs so it is most prominent in areas with pig farming.

That's really it for Thailand-specific needs. A tetanus booster if you haven't had one in the past 10 years is always a good idea but nothing specific to Thailand.

Typhoid is uncommon in Thailand and in any event the vaccine is not very effective so would not recommend it.

Many thanks Sheryl - I appreciate you taking time to make a considered reply.

I know friends who have been bitten and had to dash off for their 5 shots and I thought that so long as you are in reach of a hospital/clinic having shots after the event was ok. How long is pre-rabies effective?

I will check my card to ensure Hep A is up to date- and maybe tetanus?

And I think Hep B is not only about sex with locals!!!

Thanks again

Many thanks Sheryl - I appreciate you taking time to make a considered reply.

I know friends who have been bitten and had to dash off for their 5 shots and I thought that so long as you are in reach of a hospital/clinic having shots after the event was ok. How long is pre-rabies effective?

I will check my card to ensure Hep A is up to date- and maybe tetanus?

And I think Hep B is not only about sex with locals!!!

Thanks again

Receiving the pre-exposure vaccination series makes it unnecessary to receive the separate Immuno-Globulin Booster in the event you do get bitten or exposed. This IG booster is the most expensive cost of post-exposure treatment AND the series of shots with the most discomfort.

If you receive the pre-exposure vaccination series and are then exposed to Rabies, you still need to receive medical treatment as soon as you can after the bite. The wound will need to be thoroughly scrubbed with soap and water and an iodine solution used to irrigate the wound. You will also receive another shot of vaccination and possibly a tetanus booster. Ofcourse, if the wound is severe you would get stitches, etc.

Do you see the round pool at the left edge of image?

The building in front of it is the Immunization &Traveler Clinic of the Red Cross.

They are courteous, professional and I have not found any clinic or hospital that charges less for immunizations, including Rabies.

http://english.redcross.or.th/node/53

post-206265-0-31308900-1402613155_thumb.

Edited by ClutchClark

The building in front of it is the Immunization &Traveler Clinic of the Red Cross.

They are courteous, professional and I have not found any clinic or hospital that charges less for immunizations, including Rabies.

Cant work out where this is so I assume not Chiang Mai where I live!

Maybe we have a red cross centre here too- or somewhere similar that does a good job at a good price?

Maybe we have a red cross centre here too- or somewhere similar that does a good job at a good price?

My apologies. Its the Red Cross Campus in Bangkok.

Hopefully someone will offer advice on CM.

Chiang Mai has a Red Cross Clinic too and does vaccinations... It's just down the river from the American Consulate..

• Like 1

Chiang Mai has a Red Cross Clinic too and does vaccinations... It's just down the river from the American Consulate..

Many thanks - apologies for delayed acknowledgement. I will get over there.