Thai dishes to order

intel4004

Pad Thai

Pad See You

Cow Pad Gai

Guay Diaw Moo Sen Lek Naam Sai

Khao Soi Gai

The above will come as a single plate dish, no need to order anything else.

Below are a few dishes that usually come in a dish without rice, so you'll need to order a plate of rice (khao suai nueng jaan), although some can be ordered "laad khao" which means "over rice" and works out cheaper but you get less.

Dom kha gai

Gaeng Kiaw Waan

Gaeng Henlay

Dom Jued

Pad Gai Med Mamuang

Pad Gai Briaw Waan

Brilliant, thank you so much smile.png

All good suggestions

I'd add the following (not sure if they are particularly Chiang Mai dishes)

Cow Man Gai - the ginger and chilli sauce can be a touch spicy but it's a side dish so you can add as much or as little as you like, also comes with a clear chicken soup as a side order

Hung Lay

Hoi Tod

Cow Ka Moo

Gob Tod

Edited by narkeddiver

You can order phat pak ruam (stir-fried mixed vegetables almost anywhere) gai (chicken) or moo (pork)

Pad Thai
Pad See You
Cow Pad Gai
Khao Soi Gai

Below are a few dishes that usually come in a dish without rice, so you'll need to order a plate of rice (khao suai nueng jaan), although some can be ordered "laad khao" which means "over rice" and works out cheaper but you get less.

Dom kha gai
Gaeng Kiaw Waan
Gaeng Henlay
Dom Jued
Pad Gai Med Mamuang
Pad Gai Briaw Waan

All good suggestions

Cow Man Gai - the ginger and chilli sauce can be a touch spicy but it's a side dish so you can add as much or as little as you like, also comes with a clear chicken soup as a side order

Hung Lay

Hoi Tod

Cow Ka Moo

Gob Tod

The first one is more like Cow Mun Guy. chicken rice. The Mun comes into play because the rice is supposed to be cooked in the water from cooking the chicken. Easyto find , Boiled chickens hanging in the window.

The rest you better like strange things.

All good suggestions

Hung Lay

Hoi Tod

Cow Ka Moo

Gob Tod

The first one is more like Cow Mun Guy. chicken rice. The Mun comes into play because the rice is supposed to be cooked in the water from cooking the chicken. Easyto find , Boiled chickens hanging in the window.

Cow Mun Guy sounds a bit closer to the pronunciation - of the rest Gob Tod is the only one I'd say could be rated as strange - but fried frogs legs isn't so far away from fried chicken legs ;)

Pad Thai

Pad See You

Cow Pad Gai

Khao Soi Gai

Dom kha gai

Gaeng Kiaw Waan

Gaeng Henlay

Dom Jued

Pad Gai Med Mamuang

Pad Gai Briaw Waan

those are some good starters for a newbie although - to me at least -- gaeng kiaw waan is an acquired taste and once in a blue moon at that. can't figure out what dom jued means as the transliteration could be different. pad gaprow would be too spicy for a newbie. khao man khai (gai) is a really safe choice. just pass on the sauce they give.

Pad Thai

Pad See You

Cow Pad Gai

Khao Soi Gai

Dom kha gai

Gaeng Kiaw Waan

Gaeng Henlay

Dom Jued

Pad Gai Med Mamuang

Pad Gai Briaw Waan

Dang i'm hungry now!

Keep in mind that NO ONE is checking the cleanliness or safety of any of the food joints in Thailand. NO ONE! The meat that you eat, may or may not be the one that you want to eat. The "delicious" flavor may come from poisonous ingredients. It is not against the law and no one will check.

One post using Thai Characters removed

English is the only acceptable language, except within the Thai language forum, where of course using Thai is allowed.

Pad Thai

Pad See You

Cow Pad Gai

Khao Soi Gai

Dom kha gai

Gaeng Kiaw Waan

Gaeng Henlay

Dom Jued

Pad Gai Med Mamuang

Pad Gai Briaw Waan

Khaw Mun Kai is not Thai food. It is a Singapore food.

Yam Pla-duk foo

(Minced deep fried crispy catfish with mango sauce)

Yam pak-boong grawb

("Morning Glory" tempura with spicy coconut milk and lemon grass sauce)

Cow pad keaw wan

(Green curry fried rice)

Pad Thai haw-ki

(Pad Thai wrapped in an egg)

Larb-gai

(Chicken larb - a classic. [Try with peanuts!])

Cow pad neau bpoo

(Crab meat friend rice. Very hard to find - but great when you can!)

Edited by BudRight

Keep in mind that NO ONE is checking the cleanliness or safety of any of the food joints in Thailand. NO ONE! The meat that you eat, may or may not be the one that you want to eat. The "delicious" flavor may come from poisonous ingredients. It is not against the law and no one will check.

To reduce any risks, I only order meals, which are made à la minute. I do not eat curries out of aluminium pots, as one does not know, how long they have been sitting outside already. I also insist, that the food I order, is made without MSG (Pomtschurot). And last not least I try to avoid farmed fish or shrimp, because of their contamination with antibiotics. Luckily I can get real seafood there where I live.

http://csr-asia.com/csr-asia-weekly-news-detail.php?id=12335

All good suggestions but my favourite that our lass makes is called Palo or Moo Palo or Khai Palo

All the same dish but called different in various eateries…..

Basically its pork shoulder-shank (moo) with hard boiled egg (Khai) in a fragrant

aromatic(not spicy) sauce made with five spice, (cinnamon, star anise etc…)

Its cooked a long time so the meat just melts in your mouth and infuses all the gorgeous taste of the spices.

You will need rice with it to soak up the sauce

Ohhhh.....must have some tonight.

Have a nice Day.

Edited by firefox999uk

All good suggestions

Hung Lay

Hoi Tod

Cow Ka Moo

Gob Tod

Cow Ka Moo is really good and I am not a big fan of Thai food, although I eat a lot of it. It is pork - pork leg - not spicy and really tasty.

• Like 2

Khaw Mun Kai is not Thai food. It is a Singapore food.

It is Thai food when you are in Thailand, although it originated elsewhere. So is Jup Chai - another one of my favorite dishes that are easy to find in Thailand. It came from China long ago.

Many good suggestions above… and i can only add, keep your eyes open and see what other people are eating. Many restaurants are specialty joints like the noodle soup places, etc...

You might find that there are some spicy dishes which are ok for you and of course, in CM, there are plenty of Western supermarkets and foreign foods available -

Enjoy the food adventure, keep an open mind and understand that even if you ask for some dishes not spicy [mai phet ] they might come spicy anyway as that is part of the ingredients already in the sauce. And often, it is not spicy for Thai people.

All good suggestions but my favourite that our lass makes is called Palo or Moo Palo or Khai Palo

All the same dish but called different in various eateries…..

Basically its pork shoulder-shank (moo) with hard boiled egg (Khai) in a fragrant

aromatic(not spicy) sauce made with five spice, (cinnamon, star anise etc…)

Its cooked a long time so the meat just melts in your mouth and infuses all the gorgeous taste of the spices.

You will need rice with it to soak up the sauce

Ohhhh.....must have some tonight.

Have a nice Day.

khao ka moo.

• Like 1

Many good suggestions above… and i can only add, keep your eyes open and see what other people are eating. Many restaurants are specialty joints like the noodle soup places, etc...

You might find that there are some spicy dishes which are ok for you and of course, in CM, there are plenty of Western supermarkets and foreign foods available -

Enjoy the food adventure, keep an open mind and understand that even if you ask for some dishes not spicy [mai phet ] they might come spicy anyway as that is part of the ingredients already in the sauce. And often, it is not spicy for Thai people.

he may want to be cautious if ordering moo hang lay. some places (like Jok Somphet) prepare it very spicy while other places prepare it mild. it is already prepared in advance (takes hours to cook) so asking for it mai phet may not be an option.

Just to make sure you know what you are asking for.....

Khao (Cow) - Rice
Pak - Vegetables
Gai (Guy) - Chicken
Moo - Pork
Goong - Prawns
Pla - Fish
Boo - Crab
Talay - Seafood (mixed)
Khai - Egg
Pad - stir fried
Tod - deep fried
Yaang - BBQ
Tom - soup
Most dishes can be ordered with a preferred protein - e.g., pad thai goong
Khai Daow (a fried egg) can be added.
Pad Thai - Fried noodles, Thai style.
Pad See Ewe - Stir-fried broad noodles and veggies cooked in soy sauce, Pad See Ewe Gai is a reliable choice
Cow Pad - Fried rice, Cow Pad Gai Khai Daow is a nice breakfast and Cow Pad Boo is good with supper
Guay Diaw Moo Sen Lek - The ubiquitous staple pork noodle soup, Sen Lek is thin rice noodles
Khao Soi Gai - Chicken and mild curry broth with garnishes served over crispy Bam Mee (egg noodles)
Pad Pak Ruam - Stir-fried mixed vegetables
Guy Tod - Think KFC
Slightly more challenging to order, and not available everywhere:
Kaanaa Naam Man Hoi - Kale (usually with garlic) in oyster sauce, yummy and healthy
Goong Shoop Prang Tod - Tempura battered prawns
Edited by zziffle
  • Like 1

Oh for heavens sake, get a life. There are cheap food joints all over the world that have cockroaches running about the kitchen.

Street food is one of the great things about this region.

We seem to have a few members that are obsessed about the truly poisonous food in Thaland. Are you going to live longer by not eating it- probably not.

Getting back to the OP

Top man gumm deep fried prawn cake

• Like 1

Oh for heavens sake, get a life. There are cheap food joints all over the world that have cockroaches running about the kitchen.

Street food is one of the great things about this region.

We seem to have a few members that are obsessed about the truly poisonous food in Thaland. Are you going to live longer by not eating it- probably not.

Getting back to the OP

Top man gumm deep fried prawn cake

Agreed there peterb17. Enjoy Thailand warts and all. I'm more concerned with the western fast food crap I ate before. The info is out there. Never been sick here, just get the occasional squitters from food made with pla raa. I know it, so try to avoid it. Som Tham Thai for me Phet Maak.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1