What is the pecking order in thai society? Just for fun nothing serious

ultimate weapon

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Farangs are judged on who they are married to. Any poor girl or man married to an old farang will always been seen as a hooker whether she or he is or not. Any man or woman with a hooker will always be seen as the lowest of the low. They are seen by Thai men as to be used for the purpose and that's it, and pretty much all Thai women hate them.

As previously posted money talks and buys your education in this country and farangs are judged on how much their partners family have.

As for teachers being held in high regard , maybe in the boonies, but in industrial Thailand they are nobodies. Money talks.

Speaking of hooker is there a definition in thai society on that since i understand many normal thai ladies in normal professions like models, teachers do go overseas and have sex for money but i don't think they are called hookers. Are they like massage palor girls, ago ago girls?

If it quacks like a duck...

To climb up the social-ladder: Use liberal amounts of Skin-Whitening cream or marry a Farang.

Cheers.

A whore who marries a farang is still a whore, however her husband becomes a man who married a whore.

ie, she stays the same, he goes down a notch.

exactly,

if they are poor issarn bar girls and marry some old smelly fart on a uk pension then they are still considered the low of the low despite what they think

however if some mid or hiso girl married a David Beckham type of guy, i would assume its an upgrade

Serious question, no smart ass responses

I know of two sisters who were born in udon thani to farming parents

both are very pale, tall and skinny and attractive

Both went to university

One now works in an office job,

The other did some business and did quite well and now works In a office

Both now live in bkk

Both now roam the hiso scene, with their cars, jewerely, branded stuff, lubes etc etc

From a thai perspective , is your class based on where you are born? Or the circles you move around in?

Most people that roam the Hi-so scene are wannabes living on credit trying to land one of the real ones, but most of them are just living off parents money until they pull the plug on it.

Most people who earned the money or are old money go no where near it.

Chinese girls would say "hansum boy" - "but he No speak Ingrish"

To climb up the social-ladder: Use liberal amounts of Skin-Whitening cream or marry a Farang.

Cheers.

A whore who marries a farang is still a whore, however her husband becomes a man who married a whore.

ie, she stays the same, he goes down a notch.

exactly,

if they are poor issarn bar girls and marry some old smelly fart on a uk pension then they are still considered the low of the low despite what they think

however if some mid or hiso girl married a David Beckham type of guy, i would assume its an upgrade

Serious question, no smart ass responses

I know of two sisters who were born in udon thani to farming parents

both are very pale, tall and skinny and attractive

Both went to university

One now works in an office job,

The other did some business and did quite well and now works In a office

Both now live in bkk

Both now roam the hiso scene, with their cars, jewerely, branded stuff, lubes etc etc

From a thai perspective , is your class based on where you are born? Or the circles you move around in?

Most people that roam the Hi-so scene are wannabes living on credit trying to land one of the real ones, but most of them are just living off parents money until they pull the plug on it.

Most people who earned the money or are old money go no where near it.

I agree, thats not thailand specific,

often those that need to show it off, cant afford it

those that are filithy rich, dont feel the need to show it

• Like 1

I hope I don't regret posting this...

Social status, 'pecking order' is complex in every society and always difficult to determine by anyone from another country. I think this is more how Thai people see it:

1. Royal family and their descendants

2. Highest ranking Armed Forces and Privy Councillors

3. Rich families with established business empires

4. High ranking Armed Forces, high ranking civil servants and politicians

5. Other wealthy and overseas/best Thai uni educated people who are associated with any of the above

6. Senior grade professionals including bankers, doctors, technicians, industrialists, other business people and professors

7. Middle grade professionals, Armed Forces, civil servants and politicians including doctors, technicians, industrialist, other business people and teachers

8. Salaried employees of all types ranked by wealth and position. Small business proprietors

9. Wage earners

10. Farmers

11. Unemployed and self employed in dubious professions

Thais are well aware of their status and that of other Thais. They cannot readily determine the status of foreigners and so unless the foreigner is known to clearly fit into one of categories above, tend to lump them all together (in one word or another). Thai language ability has no relevance to a foreigner's status. If a foreigner's status if not known as above, it is determined more by their dress, manners, behaviour and to some extent yes, by the status of their Thai partner (which is easy for another Thai to determine).

Are you saying that they would classify say korean, japanese, indian, african, white american in teh same category???

I can assure you ignoring money, the number of thai girls preferring White males>>>>>>>>korean/japanese>>>>>indian

Social status, 'pecking order' is complex in every society and always difficult to determine by anyone from another country. I think this is more how Thai people see it:

5. Other wealthy and overseas/best Thai uni educated people who are associated with any of the above

6. Senior grade professionals including bankers, doctors, technicians, industrialists, other business people and professors

7. Middle grade professionals, Armed Forces, civil servants and politicians including doctors, technicians, industrialist, other business people and teachers

8. Salaried employees of all types ranked by wealth and position. Small business proprietors

9. Wage earners

10. Farmers

Thais are well aware of their status and that of other Thais. They cannot readily determine the status of foreigners and so unless the foreigner is known to clearly fit into one of categories above, tend to lump them all together (in one word or another). Thai language ability has no relevance to a foreigner's status. If a foreigner's status if not known as above, it is determined more by their dress, manners, behaviour and to some extent yes, by the status of their Thai partner (which is easy for another Thai to determine).

Are you saying that they would classify say korean, japanese, indian, african, white american in teh same category???

I can assure you ignoring money, the number of thai girls preferring White males>>>>>>>>korean/japanese>>>>>indian

I think this is a different question. "How do Thai people rank other nationalities?" I don't want to answer that, except to say that Thais like every nation, have prejudices.

This is too stupid.

You can't put people into categories like this, and then rank according to what you think who Thais look down upon or up to.

It's simply too individual and all in the mind of the observer. Ask a hundred people to make a list, get a hundred different lists. Except for the top few categories,

very few of the lists would look the same.

The many expats who insist that all Thai people think we're the bottom of the barrel and hate us all, I think have problems.

Farangs are judged on who they are married to. Any poor girl or man married to an old farang will always been seen as a hooker whether she or he is or not. Any man or woman with a hooker will always be seen as the lowest of the low. They are seen by Thai men as to be used for the purpose and that's it, and pretty much all Thai women hate them.

As previously posted money talks and buys your education in this country and farangs are judged on how much their partners family have.

As for teachers being held in high regard , maybe in the boonies, but in industrial Thailand they are nobodies. Money talks.

Speaking of hooker is there a definition in thai society on that since i understand many normal thai ladies in normal professions like models, teachers do go overseas and have sex for money but i don't think they are called hookers. Are they like massage palor girls, ago ago girls?

still you do know the thai definition of a hooker is probably different from the western one that was why i wanted to know what exactly defines a hooker in thailand.

I am not sure why you haven't been flagged and given a warning for violating the rules..i once made a joke about Indians and Africans and i was ridiculed and flagged for racism..i was joking and you are serious here.

There is no order; people that set these standards have small minds that will always remain at the bottom. i personally don't know any thai's that truely believe theyre above me, they are confident in their small world but if taken out to the open waters and the quality of their character is seen then you can size up a man.

No pecking order good honest hard working people at top of list

lazy judgemental thieves at the bottom. Put yourself where you believe you belong, get a life and stop being like every other low class farang trash and stand out. Be you really well and don't worry about it.

• Like 2

9. Wage earners

10. Farmers

How do thais actually identify one another from their physical appearance? I know thais from different regions obviously look different but to just simply assume an issan thai as being low class and to assume he/she is working in some poverty job. That sounds so stereotypical.

still you do know the thai definition of a hooker is probably different from the western one that was why i wanted to know what exactly defines a hooker in thailand.

I am not sure why you haven't been flagged and given a warning for violating the rules..i once made a joke about Indians and Africans and i was ridiculed and flagged for racism..i was joking and you are serious here.

There is no order; people that set these standards have small minds that will always remain at the bottom. i personally don't know any thai's that truely believe theyre above me, they are confident in their small world but if taken out to the open waters and the quality of their character is seen then you can size up a man.

No pecking order good honest hard working people at top of list

lazy judgemental thieves at the bottom. Put yourself where you believe you belong, get a life and stop being like every other low class farang trash and stand out. Be you really well and don't worry about it.

And yet, I see racism in your post.

Not every foreigner is white.

9. Wage earners

10. Farmers

How do thais actually identify one another from their physical appearance? I know thais from different regions obviously look different but to just simply assume an issan thai as being low class and to assume he/she is working in some poverty job. That sounds so stereotypical.

Same way farangs identify the "English" teachers amongst the farang population, the cheap polyester work shirts, and unpolished shoes is the usual give away

9. Wage earners

10. Farmers

Yes, everyone identifies another person by their physical appearance. Judging people on their appearance is another matter.

If you meant to ask whether Thais identify social status (solely) on physical appearance, then the answer is no, of course not. The pecking order is defined by other criteria including those I listed.

There was no mention in my post about "simply assume an issan thai as being low class and to assume he/she is working in some poverty job". In fact I never mentioned regions, or class, at all. There are people living in/from Isaan at every level of the pecking order (not sure about #1).

Back to the OP. It was an interesting question, and although I disagreed with his list, you would have to be deaf, dumb and blind (or in complete denial) not to recognise that there is a pecking order in Thailand and in every society. Trying to define it does not mean that you endorse/agree with it in principle. There was nothing judgmental in my post, just an observation.

Foreigners in Thailand are assessed by the same list as Thais. For retirees who did not work in Thailand before coming here it is particularly difficult for Thais to pinpoint where you sit in the list. In terms of status you will be considered at #11 until or unless you find some way to establish otherwise (assuming that you care at all, which is your choice) and as I said, you will likely be judged instead on appearance and demeanour (and partner). This seems to come as a shock to new arrivals who regard themselves as superior in every way to Thai people, adopting an old fashioned colonial attitude.

Don't assume that those friendly wais from restaurant and shop staff give you any meaningful status. That is Thais being polite and doing their job of making you feel comfortable (and to spend more money on the service or goods that they are offering to you). Flashing money around does not give you status either, at least not in the context of the hierarchy listed. Your wealth may give you power and it may or may not win you respect from some Thais, but it does not elevate your status.