Regulation on drivers with epilepsy being considered: Medical Council of Thailand

webfact

Regulation on drivers with epilepsy being considered

PNECO570613001000101_13062014_100105.png

BANGKOK, 13 June 2014 (NNT) – The Medical Council of Thailand has entered into discussion with the Land Transport Department to find measures to address epileptic drivers, after Wednesday's tragic accident which killed 4 young students.

According to Dr. Samphan Khomrit, Medical Council of Thailand secretary-general, epilepsy seizure is unpredictable, and will occur without the patient knowing.

On Wednesday, a school director in Nong Bua Lamphu experienced such an episode of epileptic seizure while driving in front of the school in the morning. No longer having control over the vehicle, he rammed his SUV into several young students, killing 4 students and injuring 11 others.

Dr. Samphan said the Medical Council and the Land Transport Department were determining practical regulations on driver who have epilepsy, heart disease, diabetes and brain illnesses, in order to benefit the safety of the public.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-06-13 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

According to the driving of many Thais, epilepsy seems to be endemic here. Especially among bus and mini van drivers.

It may have something to do with the M150/Lao Khao Diet. Edited by Paulzed
  • Like 1

Common sense would dictate to anybody with a problem, that would impair their driving,the best course of action, is not to drive, to do so is being selfish to everybody else on the roads , even so this occurs anywhere, even when the medical practitioner has had the driving licence suspended.bah.gif

There should be regulation on drivers, period. Thailand should be the first country in the world that ban anything but autonomous vehicles, former drivers can still sit in the front seat and do whatever they used to do before and after the drive...

• Like 1

Well okay,ban the one's with brain illness,heart conditions and diabetes,that still leaves the maniac's, the ones whose, world stop's 2 metre's from the front of their motorsai,the one's with painted on eye,s,the unskilled,untrained and plain moronic,so i can see it really working.

I think they call this "Closing the gate after the Horse has bolted"

It's hard to believe in 2014 that there is no legislation for the safety of all road users from people who have serious health problems. If they can pass a law keeping dangerously ill drivers off the road then "brain illness" should just about make the highways deserted!

This is a slippery slope, be careful! Next thing you know, they will take licenses from the blind and this will be a nanny state so many whinge about.

I came to Thailand because it is warmer here. And then some reasons.

It was not to escape a nanny state, solely for it being a nanny state.

I would not mind if Thailand would incorporate more of the aspects of a nanny state.

That being said, I do know that if Thailand would turn into a nanny state, per European model, it would

be a completely different country, surely more expensive.

Medical Council of Thailand has entered into discussion...

This is a no brainer...an accident waiting to happen...just like the overloaded motorcycles...all riders without helmets...

What is there to discuss...? What is needed...is ENFORCEMENT!

• Like 1

It's hard to believe in 2014 that there is no legislation for the safety of all road users from people who have serious health problems. If they can pass a law keeping dangerously ill drivers off the road then "brain illness" should just about make the highways deserted!

There are a zillion folk in LOS with no license, no insurance, no vehicle MOT, driving under age, can't see 2 feet in front of them let alone illness.. Nobody cares here cos there is nooooooooooo police out there working. Perhaps NOW stuff will change. I hope so.

Yea what's going to happen when he retires,,,,,everything turning to shit again?? or maybe getting an other good one??F;;k knows !

Medical Council of Thailand has entered into discussion...

This is a no brainer...an accident waiting to happen...just like the overloaded motorcycles...all riders without helmets...

What is there to discuss...? What is needed...is ENFORCEMENT!

AGREED! When can we expect to see random breath testing? No bribes from those who fail. (as if!)

Blood tests to prove high alcohol content.

In a couple of weeks, the roads will be half empty.

Just look at the total lack of enforcement after sunset in Chiang Mai. 1 in 20 with a helmet. If the figures we read about are correct, that's 500 per week don't make it home.

This is a slippery slope, be careful! Next thing you know, they will take licenses from the blind and this will be a nanny state so many whinge about.

I have often wondered why many drive up services have directons in Braile. Maybe blind drivers are out there. Or visually handicapped enough to need to learn Braile? Can drive but, not read?

Notice they are peddling this story as fact the driver had an epileptic seizure, I dont believe it for one moment tbh.

Common sense and safety in driving here has never been a strong point.

When I first came here I used to get stopped regularly by the police for driving with my motorbikes headlight on and tea money. I hard wired it in the end so i could just say sorry this model no turn off, is safety by Honda. No more teamoney thumbsup.gif

There are a zillion folk in LOS with no license, no insurance, no vehicle MOT, driving under age, can't see 2 feet in front of them let alone illness.. Nobody cares here cos there is nooooooooooo police out there working. Perhaps NOW stuff will change. I hope so.

This is very true, I bet you could have every condition mentioned and still go to any Dr surgery and speak tot eh receptionist, pay the 50baht and get a medical.

Diabetes?!?!?!?!?!? WhThFu? What limitations should people with diabetes have held against them? Maybe drivers who are thai should not be allowed to drive?? Hey there's an idea.

Because if you have a Hypo behind the wheel you will every chance lose consciousness. Believe me - it happened to me in England. Through my own fault/stupidity. I had just finished a hectic football match and forgot my blood test kit and got in the car to drive about 5 miles. En route home I lost my coordination and had a head on with another car - the Police estimate was a combined collision speed of 65 miles an hour. The result - A BMW and Mercedes both written off and luckily due to my seat belt I only had a broken collarbone. I got three points and 650 quid fine for driving without due care and attention. Now I have to have my licence renewed every three years. Due to the cost of insulin here I suspect that there are thousands of Thais (and maybe others) driving with no clue if their blood/sugar is low.

Curious what does insulin cost a typical T1 diabetic in Thailand a month? Any clue if you were just taking once a day long acting? Just wondering ballpark.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Notice they are peddling this story as fact the driver had an epileptic seizure, I dont believe it for one moment tbh.

When I first came here I used to get stopped regularly by the police for driving with my motorbikes headlight on and tea money. I hard wired it in the end so i could just say sorry this model no turn off, is safety by Honda. No more teamoney alt=thumbsup.gif>

What is your explanation Professor?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

When I first came here I used to get stopped regularly by the police for driving with my motorbikes headlight on and tea money. I hard wired it in the end so i could just say sorry this model no turn off, is safety by Honda. No more teamoney alt=thumbsup.gif>

What is your explanation Professor?

Read the original thread about the incident and decide for yourself young padwan.

"Regulation on drivers with epilepsy being considered"

So in other words if you are from an influential family or have a highly influential position, you are the victim and will be spared from any wrong doings and any deaths by accidents...

There's a reason why most countries don't recognize a valid Thai drivers license. I'm all for lassez faire, to a point, but not when it comes to driving safety.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app