POLL: What is your spending as an expat?

ronthai

How much do you LIVE on in Thailand as a SINGLE person?  

523 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

When I was single...

50,000 baht/month - Rent

3,000 baht/month - Bills electricity etc

1,000 baht/month - Phone bill

15,000 baht/month - Meals out with friends etc (2-3 times per week)

25,000 baht/month - Going out / drinks (3 times a week, approx 2000 baht per night)

15,000 baht/month - Golf

4,000 baht/month - Petrol

2,000 baht/month - Taxis

5,000 baht/month - Grocery shopping etc...

4,000 baht/month - Part time maid.

Av Monthly costs: Approx 125,000 baht per month....

Extras

- Car (Owned)

- Shopping

- Holidays weekend breaks etc

- Regular flights home to visit family / friends

AH ... the good old days ... rolleyes.gif

(when you were single)

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you can live decent ( Thai style ) 20 to 24,000B a month. This is a Thai persons earnings for: Executive Secretary private company or Mid level government official.

Tried it for a month included: Housing, AC - electric - 100 channel TV 24/7, 2 meals a day, 1 bottle of coke-a-cola. smokes, scooter rental and petro, some junk food and some snacks. 19000B and small change: had allowed 24,000B

Was waiting for my girlfriend to change jobs and CITIES - where she was ( company housing ) we could not live together unless married. In Pattaya found a room with enclosed bathroom, fridge, closet, mini desk, 100 channel wide screen TV - AC - electric - water ( included ) - BIG window,,,,,,,,55000B - actually I thought it was 1000B too much - on the "hill" - by the Big Buddha. 7-11 along with many '"street" food vendors - VARIOUS PRICES 3 minute walk. Breakfast 1 minute walk 40B.

The day I don't do the bar scene and drink with Thais, I'm out.

Edit to add Im not an expat. Still only 39.

Being an expat has age conditions attached ?

Maybe after reading Thai Visa for awhile he assumed the meaning of "expat" to be someone who is old and complains ceaselessly ... or possibly he's an English teacher.

Sometime those of you who claim to live on Baht 20,000 a month or less need to break down your budget for those of us who are amazed at your skill. I'm not rich and certainly don't pursue an extravagant lifestyle, but just can't imagine managing that ... although there are times when I walk along the beach in Pattaya before 8:00 in the morning that I see some farang who have obviously slept there. Is that one of the budgetary secrets?

Some of us that are living on 20,000 per month are doing so because we are not eating steaks or hanging out in the bars.

I have 2 teenagers and the 3 of us live on 20,000 a month not counting visa extensions and school fees that a single person would not have to pay.

House and vehicles are paid for.

Electric average 2,000 a month

Internet 700 a month

phone 300 a month

house water 100 a month

I budget 10,000 a month for food.

gasoline about 1,000 a month

14,100 per month.

The balance is spent on miscellaneous things like fixing motorcycle tires etc.

I do have to say if I had more i would probably spend more by buying beef instead of pork and chicken and if I had less I could live on less. For instance if we had to we could live on rice instead of potatoes. i could cut out cheese, peanut butter and home made pizzas and other western foods.

I honestly believe for a single person 20,000 a month in Chiang Mai is easy to do for basic living expenses even with rent. Anything above and beyond that is just adding luxury to your lifestyle.

Sure i would like to have a maid, a gardener and a cook and would have them if i could afford then but they are not necessities.

• Like 1

Maybe after reading Thai Visa for awhile he assumed the meaning of "expat" to be someone who is old and complains ceaselessly ... or possibly he's an English teacher.

Sometime those of you who claim to live on Baht 20,000 a month or less need to break down your budget for those of us who are amazed at your skill. I'm not rich and certainly don't pursue an extravagant lifestyle, but just can't imagine managing that ... although there are times when I walk along the beach in Pattaya before 8:00 in the morning that I see some farang who have obviously slept there. Is that one of the budgetary secrets?

Some of us that are living on 20,000 per month are doing so because we are not eating steaks or hanging out in the bars.

I have 2 teenagers and the 3 of us live on 20,000 a month not counting visa extensions and school fees that a single person would not have to pay.

House and vehicles are paid for.

Electric average 2,000 a month

Internet 700 a month

phone 300 a month

house water 100 a month

I budget 10,000 a month for food.

gasoline about 1,000 a month

14,100 per month.

The balance is spent on miscellaneous things like fixing motorcycle tires etc.

I do have to say if I had more i would probably spend more by buying beef instead of pork and chicken and if I had less I could live on less. For instance if we had to we could live on rice instead of potatoes. i could cut out cheese, peanut butter and home made pizzas and other western foods.

I honestly believe for a single person 20,000 a month in Chiang Mai is easy to do for basic living expenses even with rent. Anything above and beyond that is just adding luxury to your lifestyle.

Sure i would like to have a maid, a gardener and a cook and would have them if i could afford then but they are not necessities.

"Some of us that are living on 20,000 per month are doing so because we are not eating steaks or hanging out in the bars."

I don't eat beef (the one exception is Masaman Nua) and I haven't been in a bar of any sort in 5 years and maybe twice in total in the past 10 years. Certainly don't have a maid or cook.

I do own my condo. I no longer drive, but share some of the automobile expenses of a Thai friend who owns a car and who drives me shopping, to immigrations, to the doctor, etc.

I'm not sneering at anyone who can manage on Baht 20000 a month, rather envious if anything, but don't think I could do it. I suppose I am including some of things the O/P excluded since I budget for all anticipated expenses. If he literally means just for food and housing, I still wouldn't get it down to Baht 20,000, but it would be a lot closer. But then for anyone planning to live here (or anywhere) you can't really plan based solely on food and housing.

Edited by Suradit69

I will be moving to a village in Chiang Mai in a few weeks and can live on 4,000 baht a month "all in" is:

Rent 1000 per month (small room with bathroom etc)

3000 baht a month for food + extras (water/electric 200 a month) I don't drink or smoke do not want a car or motorbike as I don't like the roads and I will get around (as always ) by walking,bicycle & Train. Total cost 4,000 baht a month.

Yes it is possible!!!!!!

Sent from my Lenovo S920_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

my penis is over three feet long

I'm very sorry for you, must be impossible to get sex at 20.000 or 100.000+ baht

My best guess is the anonymous voters are maybe the honest ones.

It only has 3 100.000+ ones and more honest 20-40K baht ones.

Just a startup for the weekly newbie question:

HOW MUCH DO I NEED TO LIVE IN THAILAND

I live in Cambodia so it does not apply but even here I cannot live on 20,000 a month.....

i bet you could if you had to.

Of course I could if I lived in a mud hut and raised my own chick]en. I do neither and I don't have towink.png

Before, when I was staying single, 100,000+ was like it tongue.png – easy to spend more, but I was very modest sad.png – now I have a GF and child on top, so that's why I cannot live that cheap anymore... whistling.gif

Should have had category "<20k/month" imho

I had no problem living on less than $3k a month in USA, and was buying a house

Re: what is an expat? Quick look up got this:

"An expatriate (sometimes shortened to expat) is a person temporarily or permanently residing in a country other than that of the person's upbringing. The word comes from the Latin terms ex ("out of") and patria ("country, fatherland"). Nothing to do with job or age.

• Like 1

I am not saying this to be atagonistic but any less than 100K and what is the point being here?

At least 60K of that would be on "indulgence" and seriously if you are not going to indulge yourself (and often) then seriously what on earth is the point in living here?

When I was single I was spending well over 200,000THB per month (on top of rent as that was paid)...and it was the best 5 years of my life...honestly trying to live here on 20,00 or 30,000 just completely defies the point.

• Like 1

Why does this only go up to 100k? I know very few people spending under 150k and most are in the 200k + range

That's BS if i ever heard it.

Why would that not be true? People that spend 20k a month will typically associate with friends on a similar budget. People that spend 200k a month will typically associate with others on a similar budget. So it is quite possible that he only knows very few people existing on less than 150k per month.

Perhaps the question here should be " without lying to yourself, how much would you spend to live the way you really want to?"

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

7sWKnmx.jpg

Here's my vision of a basic 'cost of living' budget that, IMO, should be more than acceptable for most single folks in Thailand. It should be comfortable, if not extravagant. It doesn't take into account any discretionary spending (beer, companionship, etc.)...but you won't die living on this budget. (The amount shown for health insurance is undoubtedly not the cheapest option available, ymmv)

Edit: "Gas & Water" should be "Electric & Water"

Good budget, but do you not have housing, travel or visa expenses?

Fwiw I spend 200,000-400,000THB per month living in Singapore & am hoping that when I retire to Thailand (within the next 2 years) I'll be able to live reasonably comfortably on around 80,000THB. Per month.

• Like 2

Why does this only go up to 100k? I know very few people spending under 150k and most are in the 200k + range

As I have said in the past, put your money where your mouth is. We can sit at the pub and you can randomly pick 10 people from my phone address book and I will give you their job description and income. If I am right, then you pay.

• Like 1

Not really, 150k is 3,000 pounds not a massive sum to spend to be honest.

150K is on the button for me, although 17K a month of that is paid from a UK bank directly to Bupa UK.

Looks like you are living on the bones of your arse Jeffrey

As I have said in the past, put your money where your mouth is. We can sit at the pub and you can randomly pick 10 people from my phone address book and I will give you their job description and income. If I am right, then you pay.

Seriously, what do they do to be able to spend 200k a month?

Not many that can do that without owing every month.

• Like 1

Seriously, what do they do to be able to spend 200k a month?

Not many that can do that without owing every month.

Are you kidding? Home loan 60k, school fees 50k, maid 14k, car loan x 2 30k, groceries 20k, utilities 10k, insurance 5k, entertainment and dining 20k, holidays 15k +++++

Not really, 150k is 3,000 pounds not a massive sum to spend to be honest.

Type of person that probably argues with a tuk tuk driver over 10 baht.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

I am not saying this to be atagonistic but any less than 100K and what is the point being here?

At least 60K of that would be on "indulgence" and seriously if you are not going to indulge yourself (and often) then seriously what on earth is the point in living here?

When I was single I was spending well over 200,000THB per month (on top of rent as that was paid)...and it was the best 5 years of my life...honestly trying to live here on 20,00 or 30,000 just completely defies the point.

As others have noted, there are a variety of foreigners in Thailand and each group has different spending patterns. We have the full spectrum here on TV, from those on expat packages, offshore workers, teachers, retirees, to those getting by on the skin of their teeth.

I remember to good ole days of being on an expat package in Thailand. Being single, spending like a drunken sailor on leave and enjoying every minute of it. Now that I have retired from my profession in the west, I am planning my long-awaited return to Thailand to live. I've budgeted 100k per month for a comfortable lifestyle which based on western standards is not that extravagant at all.

As others have noted, there are a variety of foreigners in Thailand and each group has different spending patterns. We have the full spectrum here on TV, from those on expat packages, offshore workers, teachers, retirees, to those getting by on the skin of their teeth.

I remember to good ole days of being on an expat package in Thailand. Being single, spending like a drunken sailor on leave and enjoying every minute of it. Now that I have retired from my profession in the west, I am planning my long-awaited return to Thailand to live. I've budgeted 100k per month for a comfortable lifestyle which based on western standards is not that extravagant at all.

Break down the 100k please. Assume part will be accomodation.

Hi Soutpeel Hou gaan dit? Ek is n nogga ein.
Lekker boet

You boys come from New Zealand?

Hi Soutpeel Hou gaan dit? Ek is n nogga ein.
Lekker boet

You boys come from New Zealand?

Yeah Auckland