Prayuth says NCPO will not continue rice-pledging scheme

webfact

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gen Prayuth says no rice pledging or rice price guarantee schemes

rice-warehouse-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The National Council for Peace and Order will definitely not adopt the Yingluck government’s rice pledging scheme or rice price guarantee scheme to help farmers but will try to improve their productivity and cut production costs.

The above policy was announced by NCPO chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha to senior officials at a meeting this morning on budgeting policy.

The army chief outlined budgeting policy with emphasis on transparency, little or no wastage, fiscal discipline and maintaining public debt at legal limits and quality projects.

He urged all parties concerned to cooperate with the NCPO in restoring happiness to the Thai people and to give the junta a chance to prove its worth and to address the pressing problems. “We have not lived in happiness for the past nine years and since May 22 we should live happily,” he said.

Citing the problem of political conflict which, he said, is so deeply entrenched, General Prayuth warned that he might stay longer in the office if the problem was not resolved.

He affirmed that the provisional charter, the National Legislative Assembly and the National Reform Council would all be ready by August after which there would be an interim government in the same month or early September.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/gen-prayuth-says-rice-pledging-rice-price-guarantee-schemes/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=gen-prayuth-says-rice-pledging-rice-price-guarantee-schemes

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-06-13

• Like 1

"Whether it will be continued in the future is another matter"

Ask me tomorrow. MAgic 8 ball says,

Reply hazy try again

Ask again later
Better not tell you now
Cannot predict now
Concentrate and ask again

Now we have to help farmers cut cost and increase production

So the solution to producing too much rice is to produce more? OK, that makes perfect sense, make up a loss by selling more.

Obviously cutting costs is a factor but not sure how achievable that is given the current farming structure, which may take decades to readjust from "Sufficiency" to "globally competitive".

• Like 2

"Whether it will be continued in the future is another matter"

Ask me tomorrow. MAgic 8 ball says,

Reply hazy try again

Ask again later

Better not tell you now

Cannot predict now

Concentrate and ask again

Now we have to help farmers cut cost and increase production

So the solution to producing too much rice is to produce more? OK, that makes perfect sense, make up a loss by selling more.

Obviously cutting costs is a factor but not sure how achievable that is given the current farming structure, which may take decades to readjust from "Sufficiency" to "globally competitive".

and tour business acumen lies where?

This makes perfect BUSINESS SENSE to anyone who runs more than a noodle shop or bar

and tour business acumen lies where?

You are not going to lower production costs overnight without a total re-haul of the entire rice farming 'business'.

And producing more of something, at a loss, is not any way to run a business.

In the short-term I might argue that it would be better to produce less, and offer incentives to growers to either not grow rice, for a season or two. Longer term, increased productivity will lead to fewer jobs, so you're going to need to create some sort of social safety net for those displaced.

"Whether another corrupt political party will offer it as a hugely expensive vote-buying scheme is beyond my control."

Why is it beyond his control? He claims that he will reform/transform Thailand before there are any elections, and that Thai's do not yet have the "discipline" to participate in a Democracy. When his job is done everything will be perfect, just like the last ~ 12 times.

now they need to start smart thinking

So Thai farmers need to start thinking smart? This is an incredibly simplistic view, perhaps even more simplistic than herr General might spout off.

Most of the costs (seed, fertilizer, water, harvest, milling, storage, transport) are fixed per rai, there aren't a lot of variables save labor.

Edited by lomatopo
  • Like 2

"Citing the problem of political conflict which, he said, is so deeply entrenched, General Prayuth warned that he might stay longer in the office if the problem was not resolved."

Heads up there for all concerned

Edited by Bluespunk

It's becoming blindingly obvious that Gen P. is reading the TVF and using the expats sensible ideas and suggestions. Since the coup, he has made all our wildest dreams come true. Police reform, tracking the Shin corruption, booting out corrupt officials, transparent infrastructure planning, dismantling the cult of Thaksin red shirts, we wrote about it here, and the good general is following through with it all. Time to give ourselves a big pat on the back. I wonder what he makes of all the time-warp trollers that still haven't realized that Thaksin is gone forever?

you've been smoking too much!facepalm.gif

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It's becoming blindingly obvious that Gen P. is reading the TVF and using the expats sensible ideas and suggestions. Since the coup, he has made all our wildest dreams come true. Police reform, tracking the Shin corruption, booting out corrupt officials, transparent infrastructure planning, dismantling the cult of Thaksin red shirts, we wrote about it here, and the good general is following through with it all. Time to give ourselves a big pat on the back. I wonder what he makes of all the time-warp trollers that still haven't realized that Thaksin is gone forever?

Maybe the good General or someone close to him , was reading TVF before the coup , that we will never know.clap2.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

you've been smoking too much! alt=facepalm.gif>

And you've been smoking Thaksin to much! :)

• Like 2

you've been smoking too much! alt=facepalm.gif>

And you've been smoking Thaksin to much! smile.png

And that shows you do not know anything! I have never suported Thaksin, maybe you should read my many post in relation to that criminal!

But I would not be so foolish to make comments that somehow imply TVisa forum is having an influence on proceedingd here! cheesy.gif

Edited by ggold
  • Like 1

Prayuth, who at this point is looking like an incredible voice of reason, has chosen to end

this corruption riddled mess that did nothing to help the farmers. As another posted noted,

he must be reading TV as he is cleaning house on the issues that negatively affected Thailand

for years. ........It is almost getting surreal at this point, as one sacred cow after another is being pitched aside. He clearly does not give a flying bleep about whose rice bowls are being

broken. Bravo !!!

And the Easter bunny and the tooth fairy are real too!!

Seriously?? If you honestly think that the General is so far out of touch with all the things that are fundamentally and morally wrong in Thailand, that he has to read about them in an online forum really makes it look like the General is an idiot, and has no concept of how Thailand needs to be "improved"

How about giving him more credibility than stating "he's reading and getting all his ideas about reformation" from an internet forum" , I'm sorry, but if the leader of a Country is relying on the concepts of fixing Thailand for the better, from a forum such as TVF, he does NOT deserve to lead it!!

I think you'll find that as much as it might surprise some people, there's more than enough Thai Academics and economists more than qualified than " goodguy" , "flickmybean" and "rampantrooter" ;)

• Like 1

The good General doesn't need votes like the pollies, although running the junta might cut into his retirement. The RPS has already cost the country 500,000,000,000 baht. That's 500 Billion if you can't count that many zeros. It's not rocket science. Of course the General gets all his best ideas by reading TV, not. I've read some silly things here but that's got to best. Pass me the bong, will ya?

• Like 1

Well, common sense and logic often wins in the end. All it took was someone with big plums to do the job.

Or, perhaps TVF is blessed and it makes all your dreams come true,,,?

So,, I hope that very soon I come into enough money to free myself from the daily grind… (you never know)

• Like 2

My thoughts exactly. State intervention in commodity purchase might make sense in cases where otherwise, subjected to free market, a speciality is threatened by extinction. The contrary has been true for rice in Thailand, a sector that functioned extremely well before State intervention and has been declining ever since. Yes, it seems the General did adopt a few of our thoughts, but the need for these was as plain as daylight and so there is limited need for severe back patting. A great example, all this, to prove that a GOOD dictatorship is largely preferable to a BAD democracy. I just hope the proposed changes, which will inevitably need some time, will not be reversed by whichever democratically elected regime that will follow, otherwise we might have to coerce the General to stay a little longer...

Agree, I posted the same thing earlier on a topic. I said unless it is a coincidence. But I have a gut feeling some feedback could have come from TVF.