Thailand Confirms 11th Human Bird Flu Case

george

Thailand confirms 11th human bird flu case

BANGKOK: -- Thailand on Tuesday confirmed its 11th human victim of bird flu, a breeder of fighting cocks who has since recovered.

The 29-year-old man, from the northeastern province of Nakhon Ratchasima, was admitted to a the hospital with pneumonia-like symptoms on Feb. 20 and discharged on Sunday.

Laboratory tests received Monday confirmed he had the deadly virus, said Deputy Permanent Secretary of Public Health Thawat Sunthracharn.

Four of Thailand's 11 human victims of the deadly virus have recovered, but the seven others — primarily young children — have died.

A Thai livestock official on Monday declared that Thailand is free of bird flu and announced that farmers will resume breeding chickens next month.

No areas of Thailand have had active cases of bird flu in poultry since Feb. 25, more than a month after the country's first case was reported, said Yukol Limlamthong, director-general of the ministry's Livestock Department of the Agriculture Ministry.

--AP 2004-03-10

Thailand confirms 11th human bird flu case

BANGKOK: -- Thailand on Tuesday confirmed its 11th human victim of bird flu, ..... The 29-year-old man, .... was admitted to a the hospital with pneumonia-like symptoms on Feb. 20 and discharged on Sunday.

A Thai livestock official on Monday declared that Thailand is free of bird flu and announced that farmers will resume breeding chickens next month.

How does he (the government man) know??

Does he think that Thai farmers are as daft as Thai politicians (or any politicians, for that matter)

If I was a farmer I would be waiting for my promised compensation for birds lost, before investing further. Meanwhile --- off to the building site to earn enough for tomorrow's rice.