USM to get 14 more flights per day.

Bangkok Airways finally allowed to increase movements at Samui

Over the past few years Bangkok Airways has been trying to secure approvals to expand the cap on flights allowed at Samui.

Bangkok Airways executives expect approval to be finalized within the next couple of months allowing for 14 additional daily return flights for a total of 50 flights.

http://centreforaviation.com/analysis/bangkok-airways-reattempts-an-ipo-outlook-brightens-as-samui-expansion-opportunities-open-up-172121

• Like 1

Let's cross our fingers and toes that the IPO will also mean cheaper tickets on Samui routes or even better that they'll let other airlines operate on Samui. Fat chance though.

quote from TFA

"but its bread and butter is the highly overpriced monopoly on Samui routes"

There I fixed it for you...

Edited by Mole

Considering how Chaweng beach has mutated into nowadays, more flight won't really make much difference to it's "enjoyment".

Besides, there's plenty of other beaches on this island, and if more flights means people will be staying on other beaches than Chaweng, this is one more reason to support this.

• Like 1

Considering how Chaweng beach has mutated into nowadays, more flight won't really make much difference to it's "enjoyment".

Besides, there's plenty of other beaches on this island, and if more flights means people will be staying on other beaches than Chaweng, this is one more reason to support this.

Thats your opinion.

My opinion is that the south end of Chaweng still has one of my favorite hotels and the beach itself is quite beautiful for early morning runs however the smell of jet fuel continues to worsen under the flight path around the Ark Bar and this news will make it worse.

If you think more tourism is what Samui needs then you and I probably won't agree on much else.

Only if you're a business owner.

I wonder if Firefly will try and get the additional slots to offer a daily service for Penang. Popped there last week for a couple of days and even though it's low season, the flight was just about full with people going for tourist visas.

Thats your opinion.

My opinion is that the south end of Chaweng still has one of my favorite hotels and the beach itself is quite beautiful for early morning runs however the smell of jet fuel continues to worsen under the flight path around the Ark Bar and this news will make it worse.

If you think more tourism is what Samui needs then you and I probably won't agree on much else.

If you are opposed to tourism you aren't going to make many friends here. Virtually all long-term residents of Samui rely on tourism to some extent.

• Like 1

Samui would have never been what it is now if it wasn't for tourists and the progress which it brings. Your favorite hotel would have never existed and I'm pretty sure they disagree with your statement that Samui doesn't need more tourists.

Samui needs more tourists to pay for improvements in the infrastructure to accommodate more tourists.

Haven't flown with Bangkok Airways now in over two years. Got tired of the crap.

Drive to Surat and fly Nok Air return for 2,000-2,500. Flies in to Don Meuang so closer to town.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Thats your opinion.

I am not saying you are wrong, but I have never smelled jetfuel anywhere on Chaweng beach. I have however often smelled gasoline from the jetskis.

14 additional flights is just a blip on the chart of the island's toxicity. People can bitch as much as they want but aside from the odd prop, all the planes that come here are pretty dam n fuel efficient. I don't think anyone is against tourism because it pays the bills so as to create the situation where we can all have reasonably stable power, good residence and 'net/TV access. Samui is certainly not alone in wanting to spur growth so how far will they go to gain the mighty Baht? I've come to the conclusion after so many years that most people wouldn't do well in a independently assessed mathematics exam. Don't want to turn this into a Bangkok Airways (BKA) rant because there is a place for that.

BKA run the island and can have what they want so long as goes through due process, if required.

BKA don't "run the island". They provide a service that people want to use. Previously they have been severely restricted from running this service because of government regulation. Now they will be less restricted. That is a good thing.

Thats your opinion.

I am not saying you are wrong, but I have never smelled jetfuel anywhere on Chaweng beach. I have however often smelled gasoline from the jetskis.

Agree on that, dont think its a big problem, I live quite close to the airport and sometimes walked on Bangrak beach when there was a flight departing just over my head.

I think the modern planes are quite clean. I have a really sensitive nose but never smelled any fuel, however I smell smoke from locals burning plastic for many hours almost every night.