Farang Police Volunteer with a very bad attitude.

Chainsaw

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is referred to as a police assistant and not a part of either the tourist police or region 8 police volunteers.

Police volunteers in Thailand, whether Thai or foreign, posses the same authority as the officers directly supervising them. You're right, he's not a real policeman, but he is also right that you are required to show him your tax disc, DL etc. if he was instructed by the police to do so, and sounds like he was, although sounds as though he may have been a dick about it which certainly doesn't help the image of the foreign volunteers.

Sent from my Lenovo A369i using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Your explanation of the distinctions amongst different enforcement agencies is enlightening.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Did he try to sell you any drugs.I hear that is what they are good at now.

Probably a security guard back in his own country.Another wanabee.

They try to entrap people?

How do you join this volunteer force? Do they have a lot of training and any power? They must have a working knowledge of Thai.

A lot of these guys are cop buffs who love the power the badge gives them even if it's not a real badge!

How do you join this volunteer force? Do they have a lot of training and any power? They must have a working knowledge of Thai.

A lot of these guys are cop buffs who love the power the badge gives them even if it's not a real badge!

A lot of people do it for perks, you don't need to know any Thai language and just have to do a few volunteer sessions.

Can come in handy if you own a bar or whatever. plenty of TP do not care what is going on around them that is illegal unless it is directly affecting them, at which point they only need to do a hand signal or make a phone call.

• Like 1

No, they don't try to entrap you. He is making a reference to a TPV who was caught dealing. And using that to try to further tarnish the image of police volunteers and Phuket in general.

In Pattaya, they set up a major roadblock on Suk between Pattaya Klang and Pattaya Tai, reducing the south-bound road to one lane (and targeting, sigh, only m/cycles). The foreign assistants wear smart yellow uniforms and most of them appear to be eastern Euro types. The ones I dealt with have a definite attitude problem. A couple of the older guys were snapping out orders and all but goose-stepping, while one younger guy stood uncomfortably close to me with a shit-eating grin on his face as if he was dying to say "go ahead, make my day?"

BTW, I wonder if the NCPO will end this persistent, almost criminal, harrassment of motorcyclists.

• Like 1

This story sounds very familiar. Had the exact same conversation with a PV in Pattaya. I filed a complaint with the fine clerk (a real policeman).

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

No, they do not.

Sent from my Lenovo A369i using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

In Pattaya, they set up a major roadblock on Suk between Pattaya Klang and Pattaya Tai, reducing the south-bound road to one lane (and targeting, sigh, only m/cycles). The foreign assistants wear smart yellow uniforms and most of them appear to be eastern Euro types. The ones I dealt with have a definite attitude problem. A couple of the older guys were snapping out orders and all but goose-stepping, while one younger guy stood uncomfortably close to me with a shit-eating grin on his face as if he was dying to say "go ahead, make my day?"

BTW, I wonder if the NCPO will end this persistent, almost criminal, harrassment of motorcyclists.

So they're checking for licenses and tax, and you call that 'persistent, almost criminal harassment?

Over the years only interaction I have had with the volunteers while they are in duty has been in the immigration office. Never had an issue with them. Overall I think it's great that there are people who are investing their time to help others.

All of us have bad days every now and then, which might lead to communication which sounds hostile like OP. Then again. Real bullying attitude and overuse of power is one thing I would likely to fight back.

What are my rights in these kind of situations, when the volunteer/police have their uniforms on?

- Can I ask the volunteer and or police officer to show their ID card and take a photo of the card?

- Can I take photo of these people?

- Where to report in case of misconduct?

Could some of our volunteers help to fill out the caps, correct the errors and add additional information.

1) Tourist police volunteers. Reporting to the Tourist police head office in Bangkok.

2) Police volunteers. Reporting to Region 8 provisional division headquarters in Surat Thani.

3) Immigration volunteers. Reporting to Office of immigration bureau in Bangkok

4) Highway police volunteers - ???

Perhaps if you would have showed the guy what he wanted to see you could have been on your way in a minute. Was he a di-khead? Yes ... Perhaps... But I think you can not change this guy, he will be an as-hole all his life. He wasted your time but also his....

• Like 1

So they're checking for licenses and tax, and you call that 'persistent, almost criminal harassment?
Don't be naive. Every rider knows what I'm talking about. In 21 years I've been stopped once in the car but 200 times on the bike - and booked a dozen times for non-existent offences. A two-week-on, two-week-off checkpoint was established near my office for six months and periodically after that. I had no choice but to go through it. Was never stopped in the car, but everytime on the bike.

PS: Just to clarify, I have no objection to checks and willingly comply.

Edited by Dexlowe

Don't be naive. Every rider knows what I'm talking about. In 21 years I've been stopped once in the car but 200 times on the bike - and booked a dozen times for non-existent offences. A two-week-on, two-week-off checkpoint was established near my office for six months and periodically after that. I had no choice but to go through it. Was never stopped in the car, but everytime on the bike.

PS: Just to clarify, I have no objection to checks and willingly comply.

I ride a bike, and sometimes get stopped at a checkpoint, but never fined for non-existing offenses. So what that motorbikes get pulled over more than cars, does not make it harassment, let alone almost criminal behaviour. So you have no objections but complain anyway.

Please explain 'every rider knows what I'm talking about'.

• Like 1

Stevenl you must be living on the moon.

Next you will be telling us that there is no corruption here.

I will go as far as to say that check points are even set up at certain times of the month(paydays)to get tea money,and it is aimed 90% of the time at motorcye riders.

Are you a volunteer btw?

Your sentence 'I will go ...riders' is in my experience true, but also in my experience has no connection to unjustified fines, let alone 'persistent, almost criminal harassment'. Edited by LivinginKata
Inflammatory insult removed

Stevenl you must be living on the moon.

Next you will be telling us that there is no corruption here.

I will go as far as to say that check points are even set up at certain times of the month(paydays)to get tea money,and it is aimed 90% of the time at motorcye riders.

Are you a volunteer btw?

Your sentence 'I will go ...riders' is in my experience true, but also in my experience has no connection to unjustified fines, let alone 'persistent, almost criminal harassment'.

So you agree that check points are set up at certain times of the month when people..... mostly low paid workers have money from there employment! that alone is unjustified isn't it or would you just put a smarmy name on to it like criminal profiling due to having the end of the month pay check in the bank? It is persistent and it is harassment to a lot of normal folk.

Sorry about the quip about the moon btw wai2.gif i know you don't live on the moon really smile.png

Edited by LivinginKata
Reply to insults removed