Nam manao

Kanga Japan

It depends on context.

Thai people traditionally haven't had lemons. They're still a rarity. The word MANAO is used to refer to both.

NAM MANAO literally means "lime water" and can refer to both lime juice and the drink made with lime juice and sugar syrup. (It's not fizzy, so in my book it's not lemonade.)

Thai people would use the same name to refer to lemon juice and lemon drinks since they don't usually differentiate between lemons and limes.

• Like 1

Dear AyG,

Thanks for that information. I know that lemons are not common in Thailand and I appreciate your confirmation that NAM MANAO can apply to both lemon and lime juice, even though the word itself is 'lime juice'. I will indicate it as such.

I have noticed in a few sites that they label it as 'lemonade' also, so I was curious. I will leave that out. The lemonade I know is also fizzy.

Thanks again for your help.

I would add that in some places, particularly bars with a large English patronage Lime Juice is in fact a cordial and very far from real lime juice. A ''Lager and Lime'' is a glass of beer with a shot of lime cordial in it. As it is clear it does not resemble nam manao at all.

Therfore I would regard Nam Manao as 'Fresh Lime juice' as a distinction from lime juice.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I would add that in some places, particularly bars with a large English patronage Lime Juice is in fact a cordial and very far from real lime juice. A ''Lager and Lime'' is a glass of beer with a shot of lime cordial in it. As it is clear it does not resemble nam manao at all.

Therfore I would regard Nam Manao as 'Fresh Lime juice' as a distinction from lime juice.

And the kind of lager used in a lager and lime probably does not resemble beer at all.

Off topic, Kanga, sorry.