Health Insurance, whats recommended? For people living in thailand..

mataleo

Hi, I stay in Thailand 1 year already, no insurance, apart my thai bank acc, KTB smart card, comes with some insurance, Its Bupa.

http://www.ktb.co.th/ktb/en/product-detail-precious.aspx?product=0PjSUfzLflkhOXal3W2tSw%3D%3D

What do You use?

any online service worth mention?

Im 33, healthy person, but need some in case of bike, or car accident....

Something not expensive.

Or my bank insurence will do?

I dont want pay 200 000 hospitl fees for just simple injury and night hospital stay...

Thx

Bupa looks good. But bit pricely..

On my KTB diaamond card there is Bupa logo.

I posted link to it it cays on top treatment is in Bupa associated hospitals...

Hopefully its enough as basic insurance...

mataleo

Bupa looks good. But bit pricely..

On my KTB diaamond card there is Bupa logo.

I posted link to it it cays on top treatment is in Bupa associated hospitals...

Hopefully its enough as basic insurance...

mataleo

It almost surely is not. Check the details. Most of these bank cards provide a very low level of cover and some are limited to specific things like accidents.

At your age, BUPA platinum (5 million cover) should be only about 2,700 baht/month. I'm not sure you can find a similar level of coverage at lower cost. But suggest you read through the insurance sub-forum as well as doing a search in the Health forum as there have been many past discussions.

Whatever you do, do not assume that just because you have something that says "insurance" you are covered adequately. It is essential to read the fine print. Many people have had rude shocks as a result of not doing that.

• Like 1

I would suggest Thai Life Insurance Company, they sell medical insurance, we have been here 8 months, 6 of those months without insurance, we found this insurance though our relatives Thai people, but they have a few expats that have been happy with the price and service. We decided to just get hospital and emergency care only, we are 62 years old and we paid 1400.00 a year US money, it will also pay for travel insurance, but no prescription, doctor opp. blood test, or dental. But all of those things are cheap by American Standards. We just had our teeth cleaned for 30.00 US, ear doctor opp for 15.00 US. prescription are cheap 5.00-10.00 usually. If you want more information about this coverage I can give you there phone number and name of the person, who handled us. They will insure you till you are 90 years old, and they can never cancel you. Good Luck Patrick [email protected]

• Like 2

And that's why i reregistered on my sisters adress in Sweden. I now pay 1300 bht month extra for world wide insurance. As a resident in her house i benefit from her home insurance and the extra world wide traveller insurance costs 1300 bht month. Atleast now i feel at ease.

I can assure you that a simple injury and one night stay in a hospital, even the top end ones, will not cost 200,000 baht. However a catastrophic accident or illness can easily run into millions of baht and for that reason insurance is essential.

Read the small print on what you have with your bank card band I think you will find it is negligible.

As to what insurance to get, different people have made different choices, if you do a search in this forum you will find many discussions. Some people opt to self-insure, putting aside a large sum of money for that purpose. Others opt to get a private insurance policy. Most of us go with just inpartient cover as the cost of including OPD pretty well equals or the allowable benefit and OPD costs are usually pretty affordable. Premium without OPD cover is substantially less than with.

Personally I have BUPA Thailand Platinum policy. Other members have opted for other companies, some for companies abroad. BUPA is probably the largest and certainly best known of the Thailand-based health insurers. Be wary of life insurance companies and the like offering "health insurance" policies, the coverage is scanty in the extreme and sometimes limited to accidents...whichever company you choose, make sure it is one that primarily does health insurance.

And get at least 2, preferrably 5, million in coverage per episode. For some reason the Thai companies offer many policies at very low levels of coverage which to my mind hardly makes sense.

"Most of us go with just inpatient cover as the cost of including OPD pretty well equals or the allowable benefit and OPD costs are usually pretty affordable."

Yes, when I had BUPA I looked at the rates for adding on outpatient cover and the additional charges were pretty much the maximum I might ever receive in compensation. So if I gave them Baht 10,000 extra for add-on OP cover for example, the most I might ever get back for OP claims would be Baht 10,000 ... and probably less. Even in Las Vegas you sometimes get back more than you bet.

Edited by Suradit69

And that's why i reregistered on my sisters adress in Sweden. I now pay 1300 bht month extra for world wide insurance. As a resident in her house i benefit from her home insurance and the extra world wide traveller insurance costs 1300 bht month. Atleast now i feel at ease.

travel insurance u get in home country insure u for 4 weeks stays at time if u live here perm. it dosent works

mataleo

• Like 2

just register on the thai health service.....everything 30 bht......I get my blood pressure tabs every 2 months 30 baht........my friend on the scheme fell off ladders in January.,.smashed his ankle to pieces....4 operations...pins in his ankle etc.........went to leave the hospital a bill for 58000 bht....his wife presented his thai health service card...,..,the bill came down to 30 bht.......simple if you are married to a thai national and have a yellow house book, just go to your local hospital, have a blood test, urine test and a chest x ray.....pay 2800 bht and you are on the thai health service rate......simple...........you will find bupa and the likes will let you down in the long run, I have friends who have paid out 1000s in bupa cover.......not worth the paper its wrote on when push comes to shove.....

• Like 1

travel insurance u get in home country insure u for 4 weeks stays at time if u live here perm. it dosent works

mataleo

Hmm don't know how it work where you come from but in Sweden i can buy extended worldwide insurance for longer stay than 45 days . If i for example choose 6 months extended then it costs me 210 euro covering everything.

ps if you have had one drink and have an accident or become ill.....holiday insurance and the likes of bupa wont pay out...just get on the thai 30 baht scheme.....nothing could be more simple....

not married yet

no yellow book

mataleo

• Like 1

Only a few parts of the country allow farangs to register under the 30 baht scheme, most do not and some that did have since rescinded it on instructions of the central Ministry of Public Health, which means the others may too at any point that the MoPH becomes aware that they have enrolled expats. Although the decree which went out failed to make this clear, the intention was to cover only migrant workers.

There are Travel Insurance policies that will cover you for a full year, I know World Nomads does as it is what I use (in my case, when traveling from Thailand to the US). But not more than a year and you would have to be enrolled at an address in a different country/have a permanent address in another country. Still, not a bad option for people who are not planning to stay more than a year or haven't yet decided if they will.

• Like 2

just register on the thai health service.....everything 30 bht......I get my blood pressure tabs every 2 months 30 baht........my friend on the scheme fell off ladders in January.,.smashed his ankle to pieces....4 operations...pins in his ankle etc.........went to leave the hospital a bill for 58000 bht....his wife presented his thai health service card...,..,the bill came down to 30 bht.......simple if you are married to a thai national and have a yellow house book, just go to your local hospital, have a blood test, urine test and a chest x ray.....pay 2800 bht and you are on the thai health service rate......simple...........you will find bupa and the likes will let you down in the long run, I have friends who have paid out 1000s in bupa cover.......not worth the paper its wrote on when push comes to shohihi

thanks for your post ,, just like to know after I go to the hospital and get all the test done ,with yellow book , pay 2800

how I will be on the thai heath is this automatic the put me on it or I have fill application ... am so sorry this my first time I don't know how it work ,,

I had a Thai/Farang firm for 4 years, and they were quite good, but threw me out for a very fuzzy reason (like pain from a broken finger 38 years ago which I had forgotten about but flared up again, or some such thing).

I am now with BUPA and they are good. Personally I do have the OPD cover (I had a small accident recently which came to 13,000b) but it's your choice. Once you have gone over the 30,000b OPD annual limit, BUPA sends you a bill for "over-spend". I have frequent ear infections, so add that to something bigger and a dose of flu, and you will soon reach the 30,000b. Some people say that the doctor will admit you (so you are covered) , but even the savviest doc cannot admit you for anything very minor. BUPA has doctors and nurses who monitor stuff. One thing to make sure of is that a small surgical procedure is listed as a day-case (ask this!), because then it is covered by the non-OPD segment.

Be careful also with lower end cover like "turquoise" or "bronze". You will often find that everything has a tariff (e.g. they will pay out 40% of an appendix operation, 30% of a bunion, etc.) You really need to go for the maximum you can afford (Gold or Platinum level). Some lower level covers forbid you from using the posh hospitals like Bumr. Other lower levels will only allow you in a 3 or 4 bed room, so you will have Thai kids and Thai TV to contend with.

As the guys say, don't get anything that is an extra which is added on to life or Car Insurance. That is often like a P.Acc. insurance and is no good at all for health cover. Health Insurance is vital here, even if you do have the 30b scheme (I think so, anyway. I have the Social Sec as well, but the last time I was admitted to a Thai general ward there were 30 people, some at death's door, and the beds were only 50cm apart).

If you are a farang with a posh BUPA card, you will often get overcharged anyway, but there is no sense or logic to it. I had an XRay at a "cheap" hospital which was 50% dearer than an XRay at BNH. There are also items on the bill like "Nursing Charge" and "First OPD visit" which are wrong or sheer fiction. The doctor fee also varies. I know of a kidney doctor who always charges 1000b to open his mouth, but a very good bone doctor in the next room who only asks 500b to set your bone if it's uncomplicated.

Dental work is almost always excluded, even with BUPA and co. Many kinds of organ transplant are also excluded, because they are expensive and difficult. Physiotherapy, often vital after an accident or a slipped disc, may be limited to 3,000b a year. Most firms will only pay out 50% of costs for a motorbike accident. There are many hidden things in policies. Some will not pay for anything possibly long-standing (warts or varicose veins) for at least 6 months. Also be aware that starting before age 60 (this varies...) means that you are covered until you die, as long as you pay every year.

If you have the money, you can get some very nice top end firms (upscale from BUPA and then some) who will do dental work and fly you in a Lear Jet for your liver transplant in London. But, they are out of my league...

As Sheryl says, at least 2M is best. If you have a major illness or accident, 1-2 weeks in ICU can easily gobble up 1M. Hospitals here are a big business. Most of the hospitals are owned by wealthy individuals (yes, a man in Dubai owns one) or, often, by a consortium of very rich doctors. Many of the deluxe hospitals are now "chains", through mergers and acquisitions, anyway.

Nurses, doctors and the "translators" who follow you around are trained to maximise profits, and will often be on some type of bonus. Money is king.

However, Thailand is still good value. A gastric by-pass here costs only 30% of what it would cost in Hollywood, if that.

Eddy

• Like 1

Only a few parts of the country allow farangs to register under the 30 baht scheme, most do not and some that did have since rescinded it on instructions of the central Ministry of Public Health, which means the others may too at any point that the MoPH becomes aware that they have enrolled expats. Although the decree which went out failed to make this clear, the intention was to cover only migrant workers.

There are Travel Insurance policies that will cover you for a full year, I know World Nomads does as it is what I use (in my case, when traveling from Thailand to the US). But not more than a year and you would have to be enrolled at an address in a different country/have a permanent address in another country. Still, not a bad option for people who are not planning to stay more than a year or haven't yet decided if they will.

How does one go about signing up for this 30 baht Thai health service? Not just me, a farang, but a Thai? My girlfriend has no insurance and when she's had to go to a hospital it's been one of the government ones, wait all day to see someone who gives you some pills and says come back next month. Or is that the health service being mentioned? She never "signed up" as far as I know, it's just government health care for "poor people".

At the moment I relay on the Thai healthcare for B30 with no problem (paying tax). I thought I had a really nice international insurance when I came here, payed 2000 Euro a year. Then I had an accident (hit by a motorcycle while walking) and I did not get anything back from the insurance company, they claimed pre existing condition because I have psoriasis... I don't understand how my psoriasis could affect the accident and a broken bone ?!

Edited by Kasset Tak
  • Like 2

BUPA is a scam. They will try any method they can to get out of paying when you need it. I had it for a year. I was honest when I filled out the form about a prior lung condition and they said they would never pay for treatment for any condition at all related to the lungs...all I had before was bronchitis and haven't had it for a long time. So I have no confidence that they would pay for treatment for anything. I'm sure if it was a major illness they would find a way to not pay.

All insurance people should be roasted alive slowly until dead and they can all rot in hell. They are killing people every day by not paying people who thought they were covered. Have a look at Michael Moore's "Sicko" documentary.

• Like 1

I can assure you that a simple injury and one night stay in a hospital, even the top end ones, will not cost 200,000 baht. However a catastrophic accident or illness can easily run into millions of baht and for that reason insurance is essential.

Rather a blanket statement that may not always apply.

I broke a wrist requiring a night-time operation and then a second night in hospital and reached that amount.

The infamous Pattaya.

Good job I didn't want cream in my coffee.

Old USA folks can use Medicare, if in States. I guess if really sick hop on plane to LA and check in at nearest hospital. If in roadside accident in T'land, hope and pay for the best available here. Then onto LA.

If over 70 yrs i do not think any medical insurance available. Of course for astronomical rates, any thing is possible .

How does one go about signing up for this 30 baht Thai health service? Not just me, a farang, but a Thai? My girlfriend has no insurance and when she's had to go to a hospital it's been one of the government ones, wait all day to see someone who gives you some pills and says come back next month. Or is that the health service being mentioned? She never "signed up" as far as I know, it's just government health care for "poor people".

In the past some westerners signed up with two schemes (with similar benefit entitlements): (a) the universal coverage scheme AKA 30 baht scheme - for which a 30 baht co-payment may be required depending in the hospital, and ( b ) the foreigner healthcard scheme for which an annual premium is payable. Neither scheme was intended for westerners, though in some areas hospitals encouraged them to sign up for the latter. The National Health Security Office (UCS) and the MoPH (FHCS) have weeded out most westerner members now, or at least are not allowing renewals. There had been serious discussion under the last government about introducing a fairly-costed version of the foreigner scheme for Westerners, but I think the more conservative elements who now hold sway in the MoPH are against this and it has little chance of going forward. You can do a search for previous threads on both schemes.

It sounds like your girlfriend is already in the UCS scheme. If not, registration depends on presenting a house registration document to one of the organisations that belong to the local contracting unit for primary care (the CUP - probably your local community hospital or in urban areas a health clinic). A small number of CUPs are based in private clinics or hospitals, though most are based in MoPH hospitals. Her Thai (smart) ID card will then be her proof of membership. You can find out about the scheme here:

http://www.nhso.go.th/eng/Site/Default.aspx

In my opinion the UCS is not as bad as you say - certainly many high-cost procedures are performed very year. It is not exclusively for poor people, although many in formal employment are covered by either the Social Security Scheme or the Civil Servant Medical Benefits Scheme. If in doubt about the UCS then ring the 1330 hotline.

Edited by citizen33

BUPA is a scam. They will try any method they can to get out of paying when you need it. I had it for a year. I was honest when I filled out the form about a prior lung condition and they said they would never pay for treatment for any condition at all related to the lungs...all I had before was bronchitis and haven't had it for a long time. So I have no confidence that they would pay for treatment for anything. I'm sure if it was a major illness they would find a way to not pay.

All insurance people should be roasted alive slowly until dead and they can all rot in hell. They are killing people every day by not paying people who thought they were covered. Have a look at Michael Moore's "Sicko" documentary.

I would hardly say that. I have had it for over 2 years and in that time 2 claims, both paid directly by BUPA with no problem, and many other TV members have had the same experience.

They will, however, very closely scrutinize any claim coming in the first year, as will most insurance companies, and they will aleays disallow anything related to a prexisting condition (i.e. a condition you had before you first enrolled). Two reasons why it is important to enroll while still young and healthy.