The art or Negotiating?

TobyOliver

How do you negotiate correctly in Thailand?

The prices you pay varies a lot and there is no real set price. I know rough what the price of things are but still find it hard to haggle.

Some people have mentioned loss of face . . so how do you negotiate in a appropriate way without causing offence?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I always find "asking" rather than offering works best, on the lines of "you can low little"? rather than they say one price and you counter it. Asking puts or gives them the power and hence not losing face.

Well whatever it is, thats what works everytime for me.

• Like 2

You can only start to negotiate when the seller says no.

Bartering is used in Thailand to keep the other sellers happy.

If the guy next door advertises a cheaper price on his same items as the other guy, it causes conflict. Better to both have the same price, and then barter.

Usually I just let my wife get the best price. It's just easier.

If it's me, and I really want a small item, I don't haggle over 50cents.

• Like 1

Last year bought new air con from one of the home improvement chains, including installation. When they came to put it in, told me I needed new pipe to drain @800 baht/m! I told them that pipe should be included since agreed to installation at price I paid. They said no. I said "Pack it up and take it back, I will go buy from somewhere else." Somehow they figured out how to use old pipe. Always be willing to walk away when negotiating. Face smace, we're talking money!

• Like 2

Just smile a lot while negotiating. smile.png No loss of face!

Yes, smile, but be ready to look sad and deep in thought. If you haven't noticed, many vendors do this when you offer them a lower amount. They're not exactly refusing you, but they are indicating that you're off the mark slightly...it works both ways. When he's getting close to what you want, pull the sad thoughtful face. It also shows you are being polite enough to consider his price, and it puts him on tenterhooks that you will walk away.

go to tesco , 7/11, no need to bargain

Once I saw some tourist arguing in a mall, the had a copy of lonely planet and tried to explain to the poor girl that it says right here that you should negotiate about the prize.

• Like 1

It's a big problem for people who come from non-bargaining cultures. Our great grandfathers knew how to bargain but somehow it's been lost.

Many times the first price you hear is a high one because bargaining down is expected.

You have to know about what you want and the quality of the goods.

"How much are these shirts?"

"600 baht"

"How about 450? That guy has shirts for 450."

"These have an elastic collar and three buttons on the neck. They have a pocket,too. More dressy and nicer."

"How about two for 1000?"

"Two for 1100 is a good price."

"OK .... a blue one and an orange one."

So is everybody happy with the deal? The buyer got a little better quality shirt for which he would pay a little more.

ONE prob... You may be talking to an employee who is just working in the shop and is not allowed to bargain. Just go elsewhere.

'nuff said

~

Definitely, the most important part of bargaining is knowing what you think the item is worth and what you are willing to pay. If you consistantly buy the same item then you can get a better idea of what the local prices are. And, as mentioned before, keep a smile and don't think of it as a fighting match .

• Like 1

Dunno what language that chap is talking.

"Lot rak-car by noy dai mai" would be the Thai request "can you lower the price a little bit".

or

"xxxbht gaw lao gan" would be the Thai request "can we agree on xxxbht"

nut-jobs speaking English baby talk to foreign language speakers rarely have success in anything.

• Like 1

We saved a few thousand Baht at Big C by buying a Television, a refrigerator and a microwave all at the same time and at lot of long and hard haggling by my Thai wife and myself, she has the mouth but I have the money.

Know your prices and then make up your mind on what you are willing to pay. Look very carefully at the article for any defect, as this would give you leverage to get the price further down. Make an offer and if the vendor say no, say thank you, smile and walk away. If they really want to sell the item they will call you back. Another factor is that vendors are very keen to get their first sale done, so in certain cases you may find these vendors are more open to negotiations just after they opened. Never ever offer a prices thats way too low as this makes you loose face in the eyes of the seller. It's sometimes also better just to ask if there is a discount on the item, instead of offering a price. I had cases where the discounted price was lower than the price I would have offered.

Dunno what language that chap is talking.

"Lot rak-car by noy dai mai" would be the Thai request "can you lower the price a little bit".

or

"xxxbht gaw lao gan" would be the Thai request "can we agree on xxxbht"

nut-jobs speaking English baby talk to foreign language speakers rarely have success in anything.

If you are going to correct someone..... get it right.

My Thai G.F. tells me it's "lot ra car hai noi dai mai khrap"

Whats that about nut-jobs speaking English baby talk................?

Edited by AussieSteve

Things have somewhat changed in Thailand. Many tourist location vendors flat out don't negotiate, and I'm taking about outside street stalls such as in some areas of the CM Night Bazaar. I've been surprised on more than one occasion when this happened. I got the feeling that the vendor felt that they didn't need my business and that someone else would come along and pay their price. I was surprised mostly because Thailand was always know for bargaining.

Anyway, the three things that I always do to negotiate are:

1) Ask if they can make the price lower. (Depending where you are they will respond with asking, "how many you want"?) at that point I go to point 2.

2) If they are busy and have other potential customers I try to position myself so I am more discrete away from the customers and attempt to make eye contact with the vendor and then I smile with my eye and ask again. Please make the price lower. Generally by this time the price that they quote you is their best price so I will go ahead and pay it with a smile and thank you.

3) If I just couldn't get the personal connection going or couldn't make that special eye contact with a smile then I will ask again about any promotions. Every place or most every place have promotions. The more friendly time you spend with a vendor it's to your benefit. Besides, you could make a friend and then next time get a better price or at the very least, you may learn something about them and their business and see (in most cases) they really don't make such a big profit after they negotiate a price with you.

Comment: if you don't agree with their price and walk away, never ridicule them or the price they are asking even if you know they are marking the price higher than somewhere else. Always thank them when leaving.

And you may already be aware of this but just in case... If you're the first customer of the day it would be good luck for them if you were to purchase something. This holds true for many of the older Thai-Chinese type shops.

Good luck and enjoy!

• Like 1