Jobless Thai MPs seek new ways for meaningful lives

webfact

Jobless MPs seek new ways for meaningful lives
Budsarakham Sinlapalavan,
Kornchanok Raksaseri
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The military's seizure of power has left politicians with long breaks from Parliament House - allowing many to take advantage of the comparative peace and lead active lives.

Former Pheu Thai MP Leelawadee Watcharobol said that during the coup her life remains generally normal, but she must limit some activities - such as visiting people in her area - in case someone mistakes her intentions. To continue her development projects she must send her team to take care of them for her.

"In this situation the party has no meetings and most MPs abandon activities because the political work may be misunderstood in such an abnormal environment."

Former Chart Thai Pattana party MP Paradon Prissananantagul said the coup hasn't changed his daily life, villagers still give him invitation cards asking him to join their ceremonial events. "The only one big change is I have no salary, but it's not a problem because I use my mother's money," Paradon laughed.

Sunisa Lertpakawat, former deputy government spokesperson, said that after the coup her daily life included watching television and reading newspapers because she wanted to follow the National Council for Peace and Order's (NCPO) movements and how they managed the country.

The big difference today for the former deputy Pheu Thai Party spokeswoman is that there are no meetings at the party's headquarters and no statements from the party. Meanwhile, she thinks this situation will build a new face for local politics and the old style will be out after the next step.

Another political figure now turning to non-political activities is Kokaew Pikulthong, who was among red-shirt leaders who donated blood to the Thai Red Cross Society. He posted on his Facebook page that "he has free time now so he will do anything that slows him down, including giving blood donations".

Former Pheu Thai MP Jarupan Kuldiloke said as part of continuing her political work she currently is deputy chairperson of the International Conference of Asian Political Parties Women’s Wing. In the future, she might return to teaching at Mahidol University's Faculty of Engineering.

A former Pheu Thai MP, who asked not to be named, said the party had not held meetings for a while and key members felt uncertain and refrained from any political movement. They had made clear earlier that an election would be the only answer to return power to the people properly, and they would wait and see how the new Constitution would look.

The former MP personally believed that Thailand's political problems would not end, however, and a grass-roots' uprising would occur after the next election.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-16

was there ever anything useful and sustainable they were doing when in office? look what happens now,,,,it is what the govwernement should have done a long time ago, but as usual here, never admit to mistakes done and to learn from it.......the basic bad habit in that society....you could loose your face

A meaningful life in this case means busy covering up those paper trails before the Junta come calling to start sniffing as to where those new shiny Mercedes in the drive for their bratty offspring to drive around in, really came from....

Maybe a purple patch for shredding machine salesman and women.

I've not met every dormant MP, nor do I have access to their financial assets. Others appear to have an inside on that information or perhaps they are just displaying their lack of it.

What the MPs do to keep occupied until a new government is formed, while somewhat interesting, is vastly overshadowed by the significant changes taking place without them.

• Like 2

One only hopes they are out of "work" for a very long time,

"work" it would kill them if they had to do a proper days work,

Politicians here and most countries are leaches on society.

regards Worgeordie

Correction; politicians in ALL COUNTRIES

One only hopes they are out of "work" for a very long time,

"work" it would kill them if they had to do a proper days work,

Politicians here and most countries are leaches on society.

regards Worgeordie

Correction; politicians in ALL COUNTRIES

I've not been to all countries nor do I know the "leaching" track record for all politicians.

If I were to lump all politicians together, it would be similar to saying that all posters have supporting data for all statements.

By the way, CAPS equals shouting. All posters know that. :)

• Like 1

Since the Cambos left last week I have nobody to tend the fields all day in the rain.

Any takers (from the ex-politico pool)??? I pay full-whack (300 baht a day)...

Full Wack ? No you pay the legal minimum, thats like saying 'if I could get away with paying less I would'

That said, 300 Baht per day for a useless unemployable MP is way too much, better to turn them into pig feed as they have already spent lots of time at the trough and its probably the only way they will ever pay back the poor who they stole from. Sleaseball bacon anyone ?

Alternatively someone could set up a circus using the unemployed MP's - plenty of clowns available, a few illusionists (yes they can make rice disappear) & the public would love to see them walk the tightrope. Circus Corruptus ?

• Like 2

Three questions on the OP.

1. Why are only Pheu Thai MPs mentioned?

2. Ms. Leelawadee Watcharobo thinks her visits may be misunderstood, but sending her team to take care of her development projects is no problem. I fail to see the logic of that.

3. ""In this situation the party has no meetings and most MPs abandon activities because the political work may be misunderstood in such an abnormal environment.""

Is all MPs work only political work? Don't they have non-political activities? Is 'service to the community' a political activity only?

• Like 2

Too bad these politicians (and all, come to think of it) didn't consider serving Thai people as meaningful occupation, other than fattening their bank accounts. Perhaps if they had, wouldn't be in situation we are today.