What keeps you in Thailand?

Somsrisonphimai

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anybody said "beaches and temples" yet?

No not yet is that why you are here? I'm not being sarcastic.

I burn easy so avoid the beaches and am not religious so avoid the temples. I am however, a raging alcoholic, so I cane the bars

• Like 1

I burn easy so avoid the beaches and am not religious so avoid the temples. I am however, a raging alcoholic, so I cane the bars

You forgot to mention the bargirls :).

They are part of the packet.

I went to Sukothai when I first came to Thailand and was completely blown away by the Temples there. I don't think there are any better temples in Thailand. I also enjoyed the beaches when I first came but I get bored easily and can't sit around on a beach for a week however beautiful it is.

What keeps me in Thailand is the people, the no nonsense culture, the food, fast motorbikes and golf and of course my family and I can't think of a better place to live.

• Like 1

Its the small things, today I needed some oil for my strimmer, and a new cooking gas bottle. Phoned the store in town and 30 mins later a guy on a 3 wheeler mo-cy thing turns up with the stuff and you pay him.

You forgot to mention the bargirls smile.png.

That would be Bar Bar right?

*Package [emoji106]

I think the beaches are the magnet that brought us here...

I went to Phuket for a typical 2 weeks back in '97, within 15 minutes of checking in to the Patong hotel I donned my swimming shorts, ran across the beach road, down the pure white sand beach and dove like a madman into the sea...

I can still see the big grin on my brother's face as he was just as happy as I was,,,

It's a bit different from the "ooh ouch" oil splattered pebble beach of Dover!

There again, my Thai wife's uncontrolled excitement was awesome as we drove down the A20 and the White Cliffs of Dover came into view!

I still have the audio on the dash cam [emoji8]

On the contrary her face turned to a frown of disappointment when I took her to the beach and I felt the need to apologise [emoji23]

Well for me it's good news and bad news.

I'm here until I achieve the title of being the first guy to have a TV wedding, ie, to meet someone from TV and marry them.

The bad news for the OP is, I've decided I'm going to marry her.

55555. First time I've laughed out loud reading TV. Let me guess, you're a Brit.

• Like 1

*Package [emoji106]

I think the beaches are the magnet that brought us here...

I went to Phuket for a typical 2 weeks back in '97, within 15 minutes of checking in to the Patong hotel I donned my swimming shorts, ran across the beach road, down the pure white sand beach and dove like a madman into the sea...

I can still see the big grin on my brother's face as he was just as happy as I was,,,

It's a bit different from the "ooh ouch" oil splattered pebble beach of Dover!

There again, my Thai wife's uncontrolled excitement was awesome as we drove down the A20 and the White Cliffs of Dover came into view!

I still have the audio on the dash cam [emoji8]

On the contrary her face turned to a frown of disappointment when I took her to the beach and I felt the need to apologise [emoji23]

Thank you for the spelling :).

I would say love, family and job are the three biggest reason people stay in Thailand.

• Like 1

After 30 years in Bangkok and the last 7 up here in Chiang Rai, Thailand is quite simply my home and I have no desire to leave my home, except for brief periods of time to visit other interesting places.

I speak the language but I like being a Farang in Thailand. I have more freedom and I have always been treated better than a Thai, not defined by a family name or locked into some predetermined social class. So I am not one of those who laments not being Thai. Life is good for this village farang.

• Like 2

A happy and settled family life. 18th year here and 14 years of marriage with a daughter and its become my home. I went back to the UK last year for the first time in a decade and felt like a stranger in my own country. Things were so different. Hair salons with signs in Polish outside. Entering my pin number when paying a bill in a restaurant. My mates laughed when I didn't know what to do in that case. Felt like a tourist.

My daughter. My lady. Warm weather. Cheaper living. Healthier lifestyle. Higher standard of living. Better quality of life. Its more interesting here. Pleasant atmosphere. Hot chicks to ogle at.

Have you been out lately?

Fatties,shorties and a 'Tom' epidemic of gargantuan proportions.

...and whatever few hotties there are they tend to work in the <deleted>..

Really? Where is that place?

I came here because I started working offshore and I was damned if I was going to give >35% (tax) of my salary to a bunch of freeloaders living off our welfare only to play the racist card if we object!

I haven't paid tax in the 16 years of being here, two birds with one stone there I suppose...

I do miss my country, but I miss MY country.. Something it isn't anymore... It's being/has been taken over by "them" because the politicians opened the immigration gates to let them flood in...

I'm not allowed to go into detail so I'll just keep it short and say because of Tax, Immigrants & Politicians.

Hope it's not too P.I. Mr Mod? [emoji120]

lol! as he brags about being an immigrant himself

There is a difference in being in a country Legally, Responsibly, having a legal local job earning money and being self-supporting and not riding on the host country's welfare handouts and attempting to learn the host country's language culture and customs and abiding by the host country's laws.. I believe this poster was referring to the millions let into his country - many illegally who sponge off the welfare benefits.. all the while rejecting the host country's (his country's) culture, language and religion... It is a BIG DIFFERENCE.

• Like 2

I'm here until I achieve the title of being the first guy to have a TV wedding, ie, to meet someone from TV and marry them.

smile.png

555, you might regret with your decision.

It's always a possibility, but hey, what is life if not an adventure? smile.png

My daughter. My lady. Warm weather. Cheaper living. Healthier lifestyle. Higher standard of living. Better quality of life. Its more interesting here. Pleasant atmosphere. Hot chicks to ogle at.

Have you been out lately?

Fatties,shorties and a 'Tom' epidemic of gargantuan proportions.

...and whatever few hotties there are they tend to work in the<deleted>..

You need to go to Top Chalern for an eye test, and watch the foul language!

smile.png

Yes, no risk no reward. I admire your confident.

• Like 1

A happy and settled family life. 18th year here and 14 years of marriage with a daughter and its become my home. I went back to the UK last year for the first time in a decade and felt like a stranger in my own country. Things were so different. Hair salons with signs in Polish outside. Entering my pin number when paying a bill in a restaurant. My mates laughed when I didn't know what to do in that case. Felt like a tourist.

I hear you there on the signs!

They got streets in London with their names written in Tamil and Arabic now!

But were your sad old mates still drinking at the same pub? Even still sitting on the same stool ?

Looking straight through you like you're full of bull when you tell them how good life is in Thailand

It's a sad site to see when all that's changed is that He's finally got married and had a kid, He got divorced and is fighting for custody for the 2 kids!

But has one of your mates turned out to be a gay alcoholic still living with Mum n Dad at 45 ! ? That was an awkward silence I can tell you!

The only gay in the village ! Apparently not...

What a quaint little it used to be...

Mind you... I can say the same about how Phuket has changed dramatically since '97, And not for the better either...

• Like 1

smile.png

Sorry luv, I'm going to have to do it again... Confidence [emoji120] Edited by Porkster

smile.png

Sorry luv, I'm going to have to do it again... Confidence [emoji120]

555, I love it when you make a correction. How much do you charge for English lesson?

My very beautiful, honest, sweet, caring, funny, sexi, active, affectionate, loyal, spiritual, gentle, patient, hard working and independent minded wife, willing to sacrifice material things in life, getting married with me on my retired years.

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed again.
  • Like 2

Fantastic value for quality of life, wonderful people, delicious food, close to so many fascinating places to explore and near enough to the coral triangle to hit world class diving anytime I want. What more could I ask for?

Thanks for posing this question. Sometimes I get the impression that this forum is just a place for foreigners to bitch about things they don't like or understand about Thailand. To those ppl I say, go home!

• Like 1

Bohemian lifestyle.

When I'm bored of my house and neighbours I take off and wander about Thailand with relative ease and minimum expense.

Your never too far from a Western feel of Starbucks etc when you feel yourself getting a bit too native.

When at my home in Lao life is 1 of "you must have something for me to do on the farm" after a month or so.

Cambodia can be like the ole west of America, gun tooting bandits, I'm never eying people up here constantly when walking with ฿50-100k in my pocket.

The wife can relate to people here.

When I return to the UK (3 month each year) I appreciate the place because not being there it hasn't dragged me down to be servitude to the state to pay for everything that doesn't benefit myself.

I feel free...

• Like 2

(Wikipedia) Waves in the oceans can travel thousands of miles before reaching land.

Waves on other bodies of water are generated occasionally by wind.

and where do you think the ocean waves come from?

The tooth fairy -- so far on this topic I have been taking exotic medications and fxxxing dogs so what the heck.

So you are not into Gerbils like Dr Will?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

(Wikipedia) Waves in the oceans can travel thousands of miles before reaching land.

Waves on other bodies of water are generated occasionally by wind.

and where do you think the ocean waves come from?

The tooth fairy -- so far on this topic I have been taking exotic medications and fxxxing dogs so what the heck.

So you are not into Gerbils like Dr Will?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I didn't know that gerbils like Dr. Will whoever the hell he is.

Great thread and it has me thinking why I've been here for so long. In my case its the ease of one more year courtesy of my annual extension due to retirement.

But its a big world out there and I need to move on and see more of it :)

• Like 1

Fantastic value for quality of life, wonderful people, delicious food, close to so many fascinating places to explore and near enough to the coral triangle to hit world class diving anytime I want. What more could I ask for?

Thanks for posing this question. Sometimes I get the impression that this forum is just a place for foreigners to bitch about things they don't like or understand about Thailand. To those ppl I say, go home!

They can't - that's why they bitch so much.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I stay for the work, and one day when it ends which it will do eventually will be time to move on

Yep, same here.