What keeps you in Thailand?

Somsrisonphimai

Being able to smoke in pubs and restaurants!

What keeps me out of pubs and restaurants in Thailand... People being allowed to smoke in same. Your a dinosaur and thank god dying out through self abuse.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the freedom! Freedom from excessive taxes, freedom to do as you please, no constant rules and permits or licences for this and that.

Just "freedom" or as the Thais often say "up to you"

Agree.

Oh, congrats on your new job. I will try and behave............smile.png

So will I.

I am a veteran. Many veterans in the US die while waiting for an appointment to see a doctor. Here I don't even need an appointment. I think the health care here is much better and quicker (two serious operations). A good dinner out for myself and the wife is $9. Our new house by the ocean is $600 a month.

If I ever needed home care one of the young family members would move in and take care of me for a reasonable amount of money.

The dog likes it here. I can get anything I need delivered to the house quickly and cheaply if I ever became ill. I've got money in the bank for emergencies but we live well on my pension; I don't think I could do that in the West.

One of the big things is there are no Jones to keep up with here. I wear what I want. Go out when I want. Fast computer, big screen TV that was made for watching football. I got the ocean, good food, good house, good dog, good wife.

If I want a big weekend I can go to Bangkok and live the high life for a couple of days and then back to my comfort zone in the country.

There are also many negatives here in Thailand, you have listed only the positives. A lot of posters here on TV might want to learn from your positive approach and attitude and enjoy the stay.

In my case the positives far outweigh the negatives. Negative's can be counted on one hand/finger positives Id need a calculator.

Positives.

I come from England the cost there are frightening, fuel, government tax, house tax, just the latter covers all my utility bills here with loads left over. If I want anything done I just get someone to do it here for around 350bt = £7 a day that compares to well over £100 if I was lucky in Blighty.

I also don't have to pay any tax not in the EU, holidaying here costs peanuts. Quality of living here is great. Heat although it can be a bit over the top even oppressive at times I don't get any aching bones because of the cold, the big smile I get from my Thai wife several times everyday, compared to the grumpy look I used to get from the now departed (thank Buddha) English EX. I could go on and on but that would take forever, then again I don't live in a tourist resort, or BKK that I must say would drive me to distraction.

Negatives.

Having to report by post every 90 days then once a year having to spend about 20 min: doing paperwork for visa.

Bit of a loss to think of anything else at the moment, there must be some but I think they are only of your own making. Over to peeps that seem to have those to enlighten me.

I forgot double pricing where I live you just don't get it in fact I seem to get better service from Thai's at better prices (I always ask for a discount) than my Thai wife.

About your negatives, can I ask you something? Do you drive, or ride a motorbike? If so, don't you have negatives about that?

• Like 1

I'm sure this has been asked many times before, but whatever ( before I met my wife ).

It's hot.

It's NOT PC.

The girls are soooooooo pretty and wear those short shorts.

No body bothers me when I go out ie they don't look at me and judge me by my clothes.

It's cheap to live simply ( like a Thai ).

I don't have to stand in a queue in the bank.

Public transport is excellent and cheap.

I can stay on a beach in a room, not in a tent.

Yes, most questions have been asked already on TVF, but TV has new members everyday and they did not get to ask/respond, so this would allow them to do so :).

• Like 1

What keeps me out of pubs and restaurants in Thailand... People being allowed to smoke in same. Your a dinosaur and thank god dying out through self abuse.

Yeah I'll drink to that!

Although smoking restricts the veins and arteries, alcohol expands them!

Proving that cigarette & alcohol were made for each other [emoji173]️

I smoke therefore I am! The pubs/restaurants says I can in theirs, therefore I do. ..Why?.. Because I can [emoji56]

Imagine how much poorer the world would be without tax from tobacco & alcohol...?

T.I.T. & you're a minority here, Live with it & stop your whining.

Yeah I'll drink to that!

I smoke therefore I am! The pubs/restaurants says I can in theirs, therefore I do. ..Why?.. Because I can [emoji56]

Imagine how much poorer the world would be without tax from tobacco & alcohol...?

if folks didnt spend their money on those taxes, theyd spend it on something else

THERE'S something I'd like to change about Thailand, for the better.

Tesco Lotus to start importing CRUMPETS!

Or a new thread could be started titled "foods and sundries that Thailand needs to import"

I would start it myself but I'm not VIP (Very Important Poster) enough according to TVF !

Now THAT's a prefect example of PRETENTIOUS !

What is the criteria to become the VIP? I want to be one :).
You already are Som,

You're obviously grown up enough to be allowed to start a new topic by TVF's standards....

I used to participate and comment on threads a lot when I first became a member. I was somewhat opinionated on some of the topics I passion about. I was called many things :(. Then I decided not to reply on negative responses and laugh it off. You know some of comments make me smile and light up my day :).

Now that you are grammar police I have to watch it, but I still need help, 555.

I'll PM you before I get told off by the TVF police hi-so's for being off topic :)

Yeah I'll drink to that!

if folks didnt spend their money on those taxes, theyd spend it on something else

You mean like ya baa, heroin & cocaine?!

Oh what a perfect world THAT would be!

I'll stick to cigarets and alcohol thank you very much

Post removed

9) Do not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling.Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

• Like 1

how many times do you have to tell everyone you have been here for 30 years?
Well, I suppose until they get it right.wink.png That was 30 years in Bangkok and 7 years in Chiang Rai. I don’t really count the first two years because I was still in school and only came here four or five times during that period. So come to think of it, next year will mark 40 years since I started my Thailand journey in 1975, but then again who is counting.
So like I said, what keeps me in Thailand is that this is my home and has been for a rather long time. That seems like a good reason to me and I am sticking to it.smile.png

wow long time my father was a Professor of Marketing in the College of Business Administration in 1975 and i was young i wish i came to this tropical paradise years ago i was helping my father with the family trust and as soon as i could i came here the trust fund really helped now i enjoy a good life here and my sister (maxine ) and brother come to see me and they to love this tropical paradise i like the weather the most as temperature suits all of ussmile.png

• Like 1

Anyway, back to the OP's topic.

Being able to smoke in 99% of pubs & restaurants [emoji120][emoji120][emoji120] [emoji502][emoji501][emoji500]+[emoji482]+[emoji377]=[emoji2]

Cheap cigarettes and alcohol of course

No speed or red light cameras

No points system for the driving licence

Cheap car insurance especially for the cover one gets for 19,000฿

Half price fuel ! (34฿ vs £1.47 litre)

Half price electricity (4.6฿ vs 18.5 Pence KWh)

FREE water!

Great Thai food (depending on who cooks it)

Great seafood (depending on who cleans it & cooks it)

Fantastic weather, even when it rains, when IS IT going to rain???

Some of the best beaches in the world

A warm Sea all year round

Being quoted 2/3/4 times the Thai price, I just find that hilarious and their faces amuse me when I laugh

The fun of the price coming down the moment you start speaking Thai

Getting it for the actual Thai price when your wife makes you sit in the car around the out of the way

Oooh! It's beer o'clock!

• Like 1

Anyway, back to the OP's topic.

Being able to smoke in 99% of pubs & restaurants [emoji120][emoji120][emoji120] [emoji502][emoji501][emoji500]+[emoji482]+[emoji377]=[emoji2]

Cheap cigarettes and alcohol of course

No speed or red light cameras

No points system for the driving licence

Cheap car insurance especially for the cover one gets for 19,000฿

Half price fuel ! (34฿ vs £1.47 litre)

Half price electricity (4.6฿ vs 18.5 Pence KWh)

FREE water!

Great Thai food (depending on who cooks it)

Great seafood (depending on who cleans it & cooks it)

Fantastic weather, even when it rains, when IS IT going to rain???

Some of the best beaches in the world

A warm Sea all year round

Being quoted 2/3/4 times the Thai price, I just find that hilarious and their faces amuse me when I laugh

The fun of the price coming down the moment you start speaking Thai

Getting it for the actual Thai price when your wife makes you sit in the car around the out of the way

Oooh! It's beer o'clock!

Why leave when you are happy where you are at?

You seemed to know a lot about Thailand. I think my new topic would be what do you know about Thailand. Yeah, I think I'll start a new thread now :).

• Like 1

I really like my average day in Thailnd,being it the people I come in contact with,or the food I eat,or the warm climate,or just the no hassle approach to life here.

As one man said when I first moved here "I like the lawlessness". That is so true now I go back to Canada and they have a law for everything and very situation. The freedoms are gone.Here a man can do as he pleases as long as he hurts no one. No permits needed to tear down a building or to build one on your property. In Canada you need a permit to tear down a shithouse on a farm in the middle of no where. This is just an example.

A man can smile at a pretty women and even get a smile in Thailand, back,in Canada they would call the police for smiling at them or at the very least let everyone in earshot know you had gone beyond personal privacy in her opinion.

I retired 3 years earlier than I planned, because of Thailands cost of living,which is quite low compared to Canada. The first 5 years of retirement was allowed to save more per year to improve my retirement than I could have in Canada.

My wife isnot a feminist. I donot need to be politically correct to stave off ridicule .I can mention to someone that they look good now they lost some weight. In Canada if you say something like that they take offence and will reply "are you saying I was fat". Here compliments are taken as compliments and not twisted around and used to attack you.

Women are so nice to be around here,be they maids,restaurant workers,nurses,cashiers,friends, you name it. A man can be good to them and they reply with kindness. When a man marries in thailand even if it doesnot workout he still can leave with dignity,and not be broken.

Now the food. I grewup where I feel they have the best beef in the world,then i lived on Vancouver Island and ate fresh salmon I caught off my sailboat and ate fresh crabs and prawns right out of the ocean. Yes that is impossible to get here in Thailand,but the food they do cook is great and is so varied. in flavour. How they cook what is here makes up for not having beef or fresh sea food.

The only thing I really miss is yacht racing. I looked into it here, but found it rather pretentious. Not my idea of boaters or yachters. More just show and shine. So now I live in the mountains.

So there are some of the things that keep me here.

Oh I didnot mention my home with 8 different kinds of fruit trees, and small garden for the wife.

• Like 2

I really like my average day in Thailnd,being it the people I come in contact with,or the food I eat,or the warm climate,or just the no hassle approach to life here.

As one man said when I first moved here "I like the lawlessness". That is so true now I go back to Canada and they have a law for everything and very situation. The freedoms are gone.Here a man can do as he pleases as long as he hurts no one. No permits needed to tear down a building or to build one on your property. In Canada you need a permit to tear down a shithouse on a farm in the middle of no where. This is just an example.

A man can smile at a pretty women and even get a smile in Thailand, back,in Canada they would call the police for smiling at them or at the very least let everyone in earshot know you had gone beyond personal privacy in her opinion.

I retired 3 years earlier than I planned, because of Thailands cost of living,which is quite low compared to Canada. The first 5 years of retirement was allowed to save more per year to improve my retirement than I could have in Canada.

My wife isnot a feminist. I donot need to be politically correct to stave off ridicule .I can mention to someone that they look good now they lost some weight. In Canada if you say something like that they take offence and will reply "are you saying I was fat". Here compliments are taken as compliments and not twisted around and used to attack you.

Women are so nice to be around here,be they maids,restaurant workers,nurses,cashiers,friends, you name it. A man can be good to them and they reply with kindness. When a man marries in thailand even if it doesnot workout he still can leave with dignity,and not be broken.

Now the food. I grewup where I feel they have the best beef in the world,then i lived on Vancouver Island and ate fresh salmon I caught off my sailboat and ate fresh crabs and prawns right out of the ocean. Yes that is impossible to get here in Thailand,but the food they do cook is great and is so varied. in flavour. How they cook what is here makes up for not having beef or fresh sea food.

The only thing I really miss is yacht racing. I looked into it here, but found it rather pretentious. Not my idea of boaters or yachters. More just show and shine. So now I live in the mountains.

Oh I didnot mention my home with 8 different kinds of fruit trees, and small garden for the wife.

I am glad you find Thailand a place you like living. That is what people work hard for all their life to be able to live anywhere they enjoy life.

as someone that knows vancouver island pretty well, your anecdote about smiling at a woman makes me wonder about your version of smiling.

as someone that knows vancouver island pretty well, your anecdote about smiling at a woman makes me wonder about your version of smiling.

I'm too afraid to even LOOK at a woman I don't know back home, because of the reaction I know that I would probably get. So much for PC and feminism ( all men bad ).

In LOS when an attractive girl catches me admiring her, I usually get a smile back.

I'm too afraid to even LOOK at a woman I don't know back home, because of the reaction I know that I would probably get. So much for PC and feminism ( all men bad ).

In LOS when an attractive girl catches me admiring her, I usually get a smile back.

have you considered plastic surgery?

England has high unemployment, unfriendly people, unaffordable houses, boring leisure activities ball breaking women.

I'm one of the so called lost generation, graduating just as the financial crisis hit. I would never want to go and live in England again . . Before I had nothing to compare it to (only visits to family in Thailand when I was a kid) so I just got on with things wondering if it was normal.

After living here I think going back would put my sanity at risk

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

Also I hope other foreign people continue to have here head in the sand . . Otherwise they might come here and ruin it for the rest of us.

Most guys I know back home would not be able to cope here, they are to pussy whipped by western society. Shock to the system would be to great

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1