Thai Army Veteran holds his own funeral to see who will attend

webfact

Army Vet Holds His Own Funeral To See Who Will Come

By Khaosod English

14026717401402671766l.jpg

BANGKOK — A 82-year-old war veteran held a funeral for himself at Wat Suwannakhee in Suphanburi Province to see what the ceremony would like before he died.

Samran Meejai lay down in his coffin in uniform, while relatives and friends carried him around the crematory site clockwise three times.

“I wanted to see those who came to my funeral, because when I die I will not have a chance to see their faces,” Mr. Samran told Khaosod.

Twenty-one monks participated in the funeral. After Mr. Samran’s biography was recited, his family friends placed ‘Dok Mai Jan’ – artificial flowers made of wood – into the coffin.

Mr. Samran told Khaosod that served in the King’s Guard Battalion and joined the Royal Thai Army during the wars in Vietnam and Korea. He was promoted to Army Captain before he retired.

Mr. Samran also used the 'dress rehearsal' funeral as an opportunity to donate to a local school and temple.

“When we are still alive, we should keep contributing to humanity. Do not take advantage of others, help those who is in need,” Mr. Samran said.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1402671740&section=14

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-06-16

By the looks of him, it will not be long before his real funeral, if he is not dead already by the anger caused to relatives and people that attended his fake funeral.

Even for charity reasons, I don't find his actions amusing.

• Like 1

By the looks of him, it will not be long before his real funeral, if he is not dead already by the anger caused to relatives and people that attended his fake funeral.

That's OK, Costas. Nobody is ever gonna accuse u of having the slightest sense of humor...

If it is your kind of humour, well be it.

I don't enjoy, macabre humour.

you gotta have one hell of an ego to pull that one

Or lack of one!

"If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise."
(Kipling, IF, 1895)
For who to dumb Forgetfulness a prey,
This pleasing anxious being e'er resigned,
Left the warm precincts of the cheerful day,
Nor cast one longing lingering look behind?

For thee, who mindful of the unhonoured dead

Dost in these lines their artless tale relate;
If chance, by lonely Contemplation led,
Some kindred spirit shall inquire thy fate.
(Gray, Elergy in a Country Churchyard, 1750)
Little more be said. ;)
  • Like 1

Great and gutsy idea. In Tibet as well as in the Thippitaka one is invited to act as though one is dead, to realize what one forgot to say or forgive. This is pretty novel though. From the story I understand that he DID tell them it was a rehearsal.

LOl.... you really think he tried to "fake" it.....c'mon ..wake up ... it was a 'dress rehearsal' , all those attending were quite aware of this.

Very creative. At least he knows who's on the invite list. Very organised. That could be a first. May start a trend even.

Stage your own funeral, get all the details right! I like it.

Come on baby light my fire!!

Families etc will be happy as they have two parties. Funerals are fun in Thailand and I have seen some great parties. I just wonder did the donations came from his money to the wat or was it the envelopes that always get collected.

Funerals are fun in Thailand and I have seen some great parties.

Funerals are not fun when you see granny's ashes being parted, thrown into the air, and down right mis-treated - all to find a tooth that brings good luck.

Only those that know will understand. :(

The mock funeral...does seem a bit bizarre...but must admit...he looks quite dapper in his uniform...me thinks...he did not want to miss all the food and festivities following the funeral...