Will the Junta step in to rectify the Central underpass debacle?

Bulldozer Dawn

The deadline for completion of the underpass at Central Festival intersection on Phuket was January 2014.

That date has long since past.

With the mass exodus of cambodian and burmese labourers and the recent monsoon storms the project sight is now a deserted mud bath.

The interesection is now entirely dysfunctional and perhaps the most dangerous place in Phuket.

Will the Junta step in to rectify this situation?

• Like 1

I thought the deadline was much later than January 2014.

It looks like the junta is trying to establish law and order on the island, and that would be something else. So I doubt they'll do anything.

No they wont, to many more important things for them to sort out

Give them time the world was not made in a day, they are doing a very good job so far

I think the underpass would be at the bottom of their list of things to do in Phuket

If it's even on the list which i doubt

• Like 1

Deadline is in October

“The Darasamuth Intersection underpass [construction project] will start in the middle of this coming October [next month]. The whole project will take approximately two years, or 720 days, to complete,”

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Fears-of-Phuket-underpass-traffic-jams-prompt-alternative-routes-plan/17958#ad-image-0

The deadline for the entire project is October, however the underpass itself was supposed to open in February, then changed to just after Songkran.

So I'd guess the project is at least four months behind schedule.

Deadline is in October

“The Darasamuth Intersection underpass [construction project] will start in the middle of this coming October [next month]. The whole project will take approximately two years, or 720 days, to complete,”

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Fears-of-Phuket-underpass-traffic-jams-prompt-alternative-routes-plan/17958#ad-image-0

The deadline for the entire project is October, however the underpass itself was supposed to open in February, then changed to just after Songkran.

Thanks Mad Mitch, I didn't pull the January deadline out of my butt...I read it somewhere in an online article. Not going to waste the time finding the link.

And to those that say there are more important tasks for the Junta to address in Phuket, I would suggest that this is a primary issue, because if the road infrastructure and public transport issues here are not fixed...none of the other efforts will matter a bit.

Deadline is in October

Thanks Mad Mitch, I didn't pull the January deadline out of my butt...I read it somewhere in an online article. Not going to waste the time finding the link.

And to those that say there are more important tasks for the Junta to address in Phuket, I would suggest that this is a primary issue, because if the road infrastructure and public transport issues here are not fixed...none of the other efforts will matter a bit.

I didn't pull October out of my butt either.

Bulldozer Dawn, on 16 Jun 2014 - 20:21, said:

"I read it somewhere in an online article. Not going to waste the time finding the link"

Until you provide a link....It's bar talk.

Edited by Shot

As no one else is going to do it, here is the link to the story in the Phuket News

http://www.thephuketnews.com/chalong-circle-phuket-underpasses-patong-tunnel-are-hot-topics-during-meeting-42641.php

The link is 7 months old. Hardly breaking news.

The tunnel is basically finished at central. You can enter one side and exit the other. It's just about connecting it all together now.

I could be wrong here, but I think I read something about someone connected to this construction project being part of the junta roundup?

Anyone know?

Would not surprise me at all, they are also looking in to corruption at other big projects. And law and order (jncluding/especially corruption) seems to be the big focus. There was e.g. also a big roundup of ya baa/ice dealer in Nai Harn 2 nights ago, 40+ dealers and users arrested. And the army did that, no police present.

<snip>

There was e.g. also a big roundup of ya baa/ice dealer in Nai Harn 2 nights ago, 40+ dealers and users arrested. And the army did that, no police present.

That is very good to hear. Let's have more of this.

It makes you wonder what the Thai Army must think about how this place has been out of control with corruption, for so long, with no one accountable, and everyone with big bank accounts.

They could be forgiven for being slightly embarrassed at what they have uncovered on Phuket.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

Why do some users always try to post something negative. Even with very positive developments, they still manage to search for the negative.

In answer to NKM: they were embarrassed with what they saw in the whole of Thailand, hence the coup.

Edited by stevenl

Why do some users always try to post something negative. Even with very positive developments, they still manage to search for the negative.

In answer to NKM: they were embarrassed with what they saw in the whole of Thailand, hence the coup.

I didn't see my post as negative. Frankly speaking, I think the Thai Army was shocked by what they have uncovered here. Especially taxi drivers with millions of baht in the bank and all the restaurants and bars on public beaches.

We praise them for the work they are doing, and that's great, but shouldn't they also address the various issues that allowed influential people on Phuket to break so many laws, and for so long?

Without evaluating what has been allowed to happen here over the last 10 years, or longer, how can anything be implemented to stop it happening again? Lessons must be learnt from this and policies put in place to ensure it does not happen again.

What you see as "positive developments" is only returning Phuket back to what is just "normal" in other parts of Thailand.

Yes, it's good the Thai Army is trying to bring Phuket online with the rest of the country, as far as law and order is concerned, and they have my full support, but how is it negative to state just how much work needs to be done here by them?

How is it negative to discuss just how corrupt Phuket is? It's a fact, it's not an attitude.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 2

Imagine you have a garbage dump that is completely infested with rats. The local council doesn't give a toss because they regularly receive tea money from the owners of the dump. Then one day a big dog arrives at the dump and spends the next month catching rats and digging up rat holes. Those rats that are not caught take off and hide underground in the sewer.

Now imagine if one day the big dog decides to up and leave. Do you think the rats will return to the dump?

The Ice Man is entirely correct. There is a lot of work to be done here in Phuket. Removing the vermin and their ratholes is just the first step. Serious work then needs to be done to ensure that there are systems in place that preclude the return of the rats. A functional, accessible and affordable public transport network is one relevant example. Accountability for funds and completion deadlines for roads and other public infrastructure projects is another.

I am at a loss why posters continue to rip on NKM. He is one of the few regular posters here on TV (who is not a paid astroturfer) and who actual lives here in Phuket. He states the facts, unpalatable as they may be, they are still the facts.

Edited by Bulldozer Dawn
  • Like 1

I am at a loss why posters continue to rip on NKM. He is one of the few regular posters here on TV (who is not a paid astroturfer) and who actual lives here in Phuket. He states the facts, unpalatable as they may be, they are still the facts.

It's not always what he says, but how and how often..

<removed>

Overall I like NKM's posts and his often clever mind. If only all that energy could be redirected to something positive every now and then.

Edited by Guest
unnecessary comment removed

i appreciate the comments of support from a couple of members of the forum.

May I just add, and this is quite important, I do not have a business, a property, or a spouse here, and I have never sent money for sick buffalo or been scammed out of a significant sum of money. I have no sour grapes on the topic of Phuket and I continue to enjoy living here.

Therefore, it can not be alleged that my posts arise out of a conflict of interest, either real, or perceived, which is more than I can say for some other members of this forum.

It amazes me that those in business here deny the fact that the corrupt administration on Phuket has had a negative impact on the tourism industry here over the last few years.