Low-fat or non-fat sugar free yogurt

Genericnic

When you read the "how to" instructions, remember they weren't written for people living in the tropics.

It's a lot hotter here, bacteria grows quickly at our room temperatures.

No need for any heating in the process.

As long as the temperature is at least in the low 30's it should work. But if you like your yogurt thicker then heating the milk to about 85 C or 185 F will change the structure of the milk proteins and make for a thicker yogurt. Then holding it at about 110 F -115 F will also help make it thicker. It will also have less whey floating about. Some people don't like whey. Also, that higher temperature will kill a lot of bacteria that might compete with the kind that make yogurt.

All that said, I prefer yogurt made the way you do. I think it has more flavors. Probably safest to open a fresh container of milk to minimize bacterial competition.

That's actually an old wife's tale. Thickness is mainly dependent on starter bacteria.

Try it with two fermentations at the same time, you will see no difference.

Parsturized milk from an unopened container contains no bacteria (that's what pasteurizing is for, killing the bacteria), heating it won't do anything, apart from waste your time.

I actually wonder if the "heating' fallacy isn't spread by yoghurt manufacturers in an attempt to discourage people from making their own.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

When you read the "how to" instructions, remember they weren't written for people living in the tropics.

It's a lot hotter here, bacteria grows quickly at our room temperatures.

No need for any heating in the process.

As long as the temperature is at least in the low 30's it should work. But if you like your yogurt thicker then heating the milk to about 85 C or 185 F will change the structure of the milk proteins and make for a thicker yogurt. Then holding it at about 110 F -115 F will also help make it thicker. It will also have less whey floating about. Some people don't like whey. Also, that higher temperature will kill a lot of bacteria that might compete with the kind that make yogurt.

All that said, I prefer yogurt made the way you do. I think it has more flavors. Probably safest to open a fresh container of milk to minimize bacterial competition.

That's actually an old wife's tale. Thickness is mainly dependent on starter bacteria.

Try it with two fermentations at the same time, you will see no difference.

Parsturized milk from an unopened container contains no bacteria (that's what pasteurizing is for, killing the bacteria), heating it won't do anything, apart from waste your time.

I actually wonder if the "heating' fallacy isn't spread by yoghurt manufacturers in an attempt to discourage people from making their own.

i'll give it a shot and report back

• Like 2