NCPO scraps 'One Tablet per Child' project

webfact

Good. Close the book on anything & everything PTP did; all was a major farce unparalleled in history by a bunch of greedy clowns.

The senior teachers at the schools will be rubbing their hands, back to 'the good old days' of selling books to the kids. Nice little earner back on track for them. The kids education however, left back in the 19th century, just where the Amart want it.

the trouble is/was these cheap knock off tablets provided by PTP didn't bring the kids into the 21st century in the first place Prem. As I said in an earlier post, in theory the idea of all school children been provided with modern educational tools to improve their learning experience is a noble one but unfortunately the whole scheme went pear shaped in it's implementation by PTP ( No Surprise there ). I kinda hope the next Govt reactivates this scheme and successfully provides the students with effective tablets.

I agree. Nothing wrong with the idea itself just the implementation. Same with the rice subsidy. At least the PTP was trying to improve things. Both schemes had merit but as we all know it is very difficult regulate such things. Neither scheme was designed just as a vehicle for corruption there are plenty of those already so no need for more. Instead they were an attempt to improve the lot of the disadvantaged and recently disenfranchised. Pre Taksin no government ever gave a thought for this section of society so well done to him for at least making them politically relevant.

The fact that both schemes have been cancelled does indeed support PREM-R's position. Why cancel them when the boss could just order that they be cleanly implemented?

• Like 2

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good. Close the book on anything & everything PTP did; all was a major farce unparalleled in history by a bunch of greedy clowns.

And start with health care. Also, stop using the Bangkok airport and tear down the government complex, especially that ridiculous armed forces headquarters!

After that, get serious.

Quite true. This has been nothin to do about improving education. It was a populist scam to win votes. Since most rural schools dont even have internet or computers how could this scam help students. They should use the money to improve the schools then to improve curriculum and teaching standards.

Since some school can't use them, no schools can use them. So all schools must do nothing until all schools have, say, electricity? Until then, no schools can have electrical aids? That's how to fix education? Really?

Edited by wandasloan

I agree. Nothing wrong with the idea itself just the implementation. Same with the rice subsidy. At least the PTP was trying to improve things. Both schemes had merit but as we all know it is very difficult regulate such things. Neither scheme was designed just as a vehicle for corruption there are plenty of those already so no need for more. Instead they were an attempt to improve the lot of the disadvantaged and recently disenfranchised. Pre Taksin no government ever gave a thought for this section of society so well done to him for at least making them politically relevant.

The fact that both schemes have been cancelled does indeed support PREM-R's position. Why cancel them when the boss could just order that they be cleanly implemented?

It was a scam from start to finish, IMO.

Yingluck promised them "a tablet just like mine", and held up her Samsung, but only ever intended to deliver cheap Chinese junk, then failed even to achieve that !

No way was that ever "an attempt to improve the lot of the disadvantaged" !

A good tab would be cool... Especially if it had a website to support it and allow downloads that fit a students needs and level from what is taught at a particular school. If it's about teaching them English it's not a bad way to go. Kids can get into it! However, it was such a hurried through the system ill thought scheme for a populist policy that it never had a chance of working. We bought 18 ipads for our kids two years ago as an experiment... The kids loved it at first and then became bored because there was no support from the school or the government regarding going to the next level. What I mean is let students learn at heir own speed. Moreover, the Thai teachers couldn't keep up with it they and maintained a policy of pounding parroting English studies.

Edited by Local Drunk

the trouble is/was these cheap knock off tablets provided by PTP didn't bring the kids into the 21st century in the first place Prem. As I said in an earlier post, in theory the idea of all school children been provided with modern educational tools to improve their learning experience is a noble one but unfortunately the whole scheme went pear shaped in it's implementation by PTP ( No Surprise there ). I kinda hope the next Govt reactivates this scheme and successfully provides the students with effective tablets.

"Same with the rice subsidy. At least the PTP was trying to improve things. Both schemes had merit" cheesy.gif

Oh please! Somo, as Mckenroe once said to the referee, "You cannot be serious!" .... PTP improving things is an assimilation to new quantum physics where 1 + 1 = -3 (-3 being the 2 plus all the money gone laugh.png )

• Like 2

"Same with the rice subsidy. At least the PTP was trying to improve things. Both schemes had merit" cheesy.gif

Oh please! Somo, as Mckenroe once said to the referee, "You cannot be serious!" .... PTP improving things is an assimilation to new quantum physics where 1 + 1 = -3 (-3 being the 2 plus all the money gone laugh.png )

So tell me what better initiatives did the democrats prior to Taksin implement for the benefit of the poor. They had all the money and opportunity but did nothing at all!!!

They didn't even try! It's all very well criticizing those who have tried to help and seen their efforts screwed up but it is more important to criticize those who never lifted a finger to try and help yet you want thoes very same eople back in power for god knows what reason.

Until Taksin came along no government gave a stuff for the poor of Isaan but you still think they are a better alternative. Why? It is well established that they were just as corrupt if not more so and certainly heartless. They think the poor and uneducated should not have a vote but you support them. Tell me one good thing they have done for the people of Thailand.

• Like 1

Oh yes, wipe the slate clean so that the newest group in power can let the scams begin anew. Speaking of anew, it is only the newbies who find what the PTP did to be unparalleled: one of the old euphemisms for politics in Thai is kin muang (กินเมือง).

• Like 1

So tell me what better initiatives did the democrats prior to Taksin implement for the benefit of the poor. They had all the money and opportunity but did nothing at all!!!

They didn't even try! It's all very well criticizing those who have tried to help and seen their efforts screwed up but it is more important to criticize those who never lifted a finger to try and help yet you want thoes very same eople back in power for god knows what reason.

Until Taksin came along no government gave a stuff for the poor of Isaan but you still think they are a better alternative. Why? It is well established that they were just as corrupt if not more so and certainly heartless. They think the poor and uneducated should not have a vote but you support them. Tell me one good thing they have done for the people of Thailand.

As a former technological Luddite who became a digital media producer, I would say this appears to be a classic case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Just about everyehere in the world today, young people need to become digitally literate, and educators around the world recognize that the only way to do this is to give the kids early access to digital technology. Those of us who grew up in the pre-cybernetic era cannot just give the old " when I was your age, I walked to school ten miles a day in the snow speech" to

today's digital generation. Am well aware of the deficiencies of the Thai education system. In my view, it would have benefitted greatly from European colonial management, since I found the curriculum more sophisticated in former Central African colonies. However, short of overhauling the entire educational system from top to bottom and replacing it with a good Asian model like that of Japan or Singapore, it is my humble opinion that tablets in some form would be a step in a positive direction . That is, on the assumption that forward, rather than backwards, is positive.

There was a similar program a few years back by an American philanthropist that aimed to provide a cheap computer to every African kid. The thing is, research has shown that the slower (less intelligent?) kids anywhere do not benefit from machine-based instruction. These kids really need the interaction that they can get from an effective teacher. Articles have been published in the NYT and The Chronicle of Higher Education showing that online instruction (eg. The Khan Academy and the "flipped" classroom) only benefit the clever and highly motivated learners. The rest all do best with good teachers.

• Like 2

EDUCATION
Tablet scheme canned

Supinda na Mahachai
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The "One Tablet Per Child" project has been scrapped, with the National Council for Peace and Order damning it as inappropriate and a poor investment.

Permanent secretary for education Suthasri Wongsaman confirmed that a meeting yesterday agreed to cancel the tablet project for the 2014 academic year, as well as an e-auction to buy tablets for Zone 4 from last year (for Mathayom 1 in the North and Northeast).

Meanwhile, the Office of Transport and Traffic Policy and Planning will propose three urgent mega-projects that cost some Bt2.4 trillion to the junta after the ousted government's high-speed train project was dropped following the coup, director Chula Sukmanop said yesterday.

Budget allocations for the seven-year projects to be launched in 2015 fiscal year will be reduced from Bt3 trillion originally planned, he said. The projects include building 3 Skytrain routes, extension of a motorway, and dual-track trains. These will be put to the junta on Thursday.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-17

Great news but I hope the money saved will be invested in better teacher training and books. There is a place for computer literacy in the classroom but not yet at its centre. Thais are so far behind the curve educationally that attention to the basics is the first foundational step.

Every thinking person knows that it was just another PTP corruption scheme dressed up as helping the poor. Now let's see if some real progress in education comes from the change in political mindset.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The senior teachers at the schools will be rubbing their hands, back to 'the good old days' of selling books to the kids. Nice little earner back on track for them. The kids education however, left back in the 19th century, just where the Amart want it.

Neither was designed as a vehicle for corruption? Are you smoking weed? That kind of naivete is best left over on new mandala lol

• Like 1

Books: the epitome of oppression huh? Trolling are you?

Ah, wait, maybe you're right, tablets would never be sold, used for gaming, abused and are a better option than good old fashioned books right?

PTP was the epitome of all fiefdoms and all they wanted to do was benefit themselves by falsely offering free goodies to get votes.

Bottom line is karma caught up to 'em and these clowns are now history.

Edited by gemini81
  • Like 1

Dear Mr. Spunk, You cannot have kids at an 'ordinary' Thai school, if you did you would know that the parents have to purchase books each term, these books cannot be handed down, the kids have to write in them so they are useless for further use. Why they don't just use 'normal' textbooks and write in 'jotters' I don't know other than the sales of books bring in big 'bucks' for the teachers.

Dear Derby County F.C. Tell me the truth back in Derby would you go out and buy a cheap jack note book with no guarantee and nowhere to take it to for repair.

Now if you had a hit and run idea to purchase 10 million of them at a price that you could buy another comparable one, pocket the scam money, together with the rice--and water management money not a bad idea for the bent of this world.

Mr. Ginjag, if Thaksin discovered a cure for cancer, you and many others on this forum would scream "SCAM" within seconds of it being announced, you need to have a more balanced view, obsession is not a good thing.

Edited by PREM-R

Dear Derby County F.C. Tell me the truth back in Derby would you go out and buy a cheap jack note book with no guarantee and nowhere to take it to for repair.

Now if you had a hit and run idea to purchase 10 million of them at a price that you could buy another comparable one, pocket the scam money, together with the rice--and water management money not a bad idea for the bent of this world.

Mr. Ginjag, if Thaksin discovered a cure for cancer, you and many others on this forum would scream "SCAM" within seconds of it being announced, you need to have a more balanced view, obsession is not a good thing.

With k. Thaksin's background and formal education I would be very reluctant to accept a statement like "Thaksin discovers cure for cancer'.

Of course if the statement included something like "Thaksin retiring" I would be more optimisticrolleyes.gif

• Like 2

Dear Mr. Spunk, You cannot have kids at an 'ordinary' Thai school, if you did you would know that the parents have to purchase books each term, these books cannot be handed down, the kids have to write in them so they are useless for further use. Why they don't just use 'normal' textbooks and write in 'jotters' I don't know other than the sales of books bring in big 'bucks' for the teachers.

Don't be so flaming ridiculous, If he did it would near be a first for him to do any good. My view is not to balance out anything it is just to criticize where needed, hence my stance re PTP. AND any other wrong doings by anyone.

The tablets were crap from day 1. Do you care how many are not functioning, how many have been given out, Yinglucks photo to gain election was a lie---as she held up a Samsung.

Stupid to condone these scam buys---follow the money slogan applies to all PTP projects etc. Pity you have fallen into the red trap.

I am obsessed with what???--what is bad---yes for sure.

Naturally I am not a Derby County supporter--not many are these days.thumbsup.gif

Edited by ginjag
  • Like 1

The kids education however, left back in the 19th century, just where the Amart want it.

Proof it or shut up.

Talking from my short experience with Thai kids and schools.. Schools having computers and big screen in class for education is modern teaching, and it is very good. Given tablets to kids without proper supervition is the worst idea ever, to Thai kids or any country kids. I was lucky that my daughters didn't have portable internet connection durings its teen years. Very lucky. I get sick just watching kids and adults addicted to their Iphones.

Edited by umbanda

The kids education however, left back in the 19th century, just where the Amart want it.

Proof it or shut up.

Talking from my short experience with Thai kids and schools.. Schools having computers and big screen in class for education is modern teaching, and it is very good. Given tablets to kids without proper supervition is the worst idea ever, to Thai kids or any country kids. I was lucky that my daughters didn't have portable internet connection durings its teen years. Very lucky. I get sick just watching kids and adults addicted to their Iphones.

Exactly. Always walking into you and not possessing social skills. Sit, play and eat. Books are timeless.

I had to read paper books in school same as everyone else in my family and we all turned out pretty well in my opinion. The system, the teachers, the curriculum, the books are all part of the problem, but what nobody ever seems to talk about is it is also the lack of motivation to study on the part of the students. The students who actually want to learn and try hard seem to do pretty well if the few I have met are anything to go by, I have met a few kids who go to government schools who are really smart and they work their butt off to get there. It is also partly down to the parents lassaiz faire attitude to their kids education. Parents must motivate the kids, parents are also teachers in fact I learnt more from my mother than I did from school. Tablets are merely a tool that can help in some ways if used correctly. They are welcome if they are not merely a distraction but unnecessary.

Edited by tingtongteesood

Proof it or shut up.

I will excuse your rudeness, just visit any school in Thailand, outside of the big cities, you will have your proof.

You realize that 19th century is the period between 1800 and 1899? You really insult many academics and scientists that lived and got education since the year 1900......... You're saying that all people that live in Thailand now are on the knowledge level of the years 1800 - 1899.

Nickymaster's reaction is correct.

Edited by ubonjoe
Removed a inflammatory comment