Khao San Raod tourism back to normal after curfew lifted: Bangkok

webfact

Khao San Raod tourism back to normal after curfew lifted
By Digital Content

14029082779443.jpg

BANGKOK, June 16 -- Tourism on Khao San Road in the heart of Bangkok, known as the backpack haven for tourists, has returned to its normal liveliness as the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) canceled the curfew it had imposed across the nation.

Khao San Road Business Association chairman Sa-nga Ruangwattanakul said since the NCPO lifted the countryside curfew last Friday, the area has seen the number of visitors climb back to its normal state.

Local Thai residents have been flocking to the tourist spot to enjoy watching the World Cup 2014, while foreign tourists are staying longer in Khao San, up from previously spending just one night in Bangkok before traveling to other provinces to avoid the curfew.

Trading in the area has also regained activeness, noting that he believes the number of visitors to the top tourist destination would soon return to the same level as before.

The association has spread the news of the lifting of the curfew through the world's top social media sites, including Facebook and Twitter, which has brought a better response among Asian tourists than European tourists in traveling to Thailand.

Mr Sa-nga said that the organisation would hold more activities to draw foreign tourists back to the location, since its strategy to return happiness to visitors has proven fruitful and helped to portray the image to the international community that Thailand is safe to visit. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-06-16

"Mr Sa-nga said that the organisation would hold more activities to draw foreign tourists back to the location"

Examples of such activities pls. Tittied lasses displaying fake degrees and such, or anything new worth observation?

I drove through that area last night it was pretty dead. I have spent the last few days in Bangkok and Kanchanaburi, it was dead. I was at the airport today on a domestic flight, it was dead

So, whatever way TAT want to dress it up, tourism hasn't returned to normal.

• Like 2

I drove through that area last night it was pretty dead. I have spent the last few days in Bangkok and Kanchanaburi, it was dead. I was at the airport today on a domestic flight, it was dead

Of course tourism hasn't returned to normal yet and it won't until martial law is lifted.

I know of two or three cases of foreigners cancelling trips to Thailand..... not because they are afraid but because they cannot get travel insurance when the country is under martial law.

seeing you mentioned kanchanaburi thats normal its always dead curfew or no curfew it shuts down around 10.30 pm because there is nothing to do here exept sleep

seeing you mentioned kanchanaburi thats normal its always dead curfew or no curfew it shuts down around 10.30 pm because there is nothing to do here exept sleep

I wasn't referring to the nightlife or the curfew, this was about hotel occupancy, general amounts of tourists in the day, in particular there are normally lots of tourists around the bridge area and the Tanom Nam Khwai, but certainly not this weekend.

Personally, I like Kanchanburi , it sounds like you don't?

sadly you are correct.

Exactly, If Khao San Road is supposedly back to normal it must be claimed that tourist arrivals are up and that claim is TAT's stock in trade unless every tourist already in LoS has decided to flock to the area giggle.gif

god what a place ageing hippies,wide eyed gap year students,and english teachers,still better than Pattaya.

"God what a place...better than Pattaya". I've found that some of the most vocal experts on a subject are those with the least experience on the subject.

Live and Let Live

Edited by Benmart

A few years ago Khao San Rd was thought of by the authorities as a crappy area for cheap backpackers who were no good cos they didnt spend lots of money ( In fact a lot of them do ) Now they are calling it a top tourist destination !! Also they want to encourage Chinese tourists. It wasnt long ago that they wanted to stop Chinese tourists coming on package tours cos they didnt spend much money. How perceptions change when you are desperate for tourists. TAT always talks crap !

A few years ago Khao San Rd was thought of by the authorities as a crappy area for cheap backpackers who were no good cos they didnt spend lots of money ( In fact a lot of them do ) Now they are calling it a top tourist destination !! Also they want to encourage Chinese tourists. It wasnt long ago that they wanted to stop Chinese tourists coming on package tours cos they didnt spend much money. How perceptions change when you are desperate for tourists. TAT always talks crap !

The chinese can come and photograph the westerners,especially chinese men,then go home and tell their pals,'yes i had this one,yes i had this one".