How many months in advance can I extend or renew my Thai driving license

Hi all,

My two Thai driving license (car and Motorbike) are due to expire on the 30th of January 2015. I got them for the fist time on the 30th of January 2014 and they are only valid for one year. On 2015 I was supposed to receive a five years licenses

But I was planning to go back to Europe end of October and will not come back before March 2015

Can I get a renewable on October and if not, will I get again a one year license in March ?

How many months in advance can we apply to have those licenses extended ?

Thanks to all for any positive input

Merideur

Hi puntawo2 and Gonsalviz

I really thank you very much for your kind help, it really helps a lot

Puntawo2 I wish you the best for your own exam and hope you get it very soon successfully

Thanks again

Cheers

Merideur

In Chiang Mai, I was told that the one year license must expire before you can get the 5 year one.

It expired last November and we were not in Thailand.

I did the renewal in March this year and got both 5 year licenses.

Good luck

Edited by laislica
  • Like 1

On Samui they do not allow you to renew your licence until it has run out mine ran out in a February just renewed it last month had to pass the new exam before they would renew I had gone in the January and they were adamant that it could not be renewed until it had expired you also need letter from immigration confirming you residence address

In Chiang Mai, I was told that the one year license must expire before you can get the 5 year one.

You can renew before the one year licence expires, but you only get another one year licence since you haven't held a one year licence for a full year (a requirement to get the 5 year one).

• Like 1

after your driver's license, 1 or 5 years, you have 1 year to renew without having to take the complete retest.

you are illegal to drive on an expired license (know from experience) but no problem renewing within 1 year.

• Like 1

As is true for every bureaucratic topic that I've seen on here, it really depends on where in Thailand you are and who you talk to. I just renewed mine in Ranong 10 days before the expiration date. I only had to pass the color blind and the peripheral vision tests. I did need the letter from Immigration and a certificate of health.

60 days before expire, this what they told me last week in Chiang Mai, i had 70 days left so i have to go next monday,

for sure not 3 month because the lady showed me the law, may be for renew a 5 ears driver licence you have 3 month but not for 1 to 5 years