Final: USA 2 Ghana 1

IMA_FARANG

Very exciting game especially the 2nd half as Ghana were throwing everything at the US to try to equalize the 1st minute goal by Clint Dempsey. The US side looked knackered and when Ghana leveled in the 82nd minute they looked far more likely to score than the US. But as described above the Yanks forced a corner and Brooks headed the winner. A good win for them but I would say they are unlikely to beat Portugal and qualify.

Very exciting game especially the 2nd half as Ghana were throwing everything at the US to try to equalize the 1st minute goal by Clint Dempsey. The US side looked knackered and when Ghana leveled in the 82nd minute they looked far more likely to score than the US. But as described above the Yanks forced a corner and Brooks headed the winner. A good win for them but I would say they are unlikely to beat Portugal and qualify.

Each team in the group still has two more games to play. But even if only one game were left to play, Portugal would have to score 3 or more goals against the US to get out of the group. Merely winning the game by a single goal won't automatically advance them.

Anyhow, all predictions and hopeful wishes aside, there's still a lot more futbol to be played.

Edited by Gumballl

It'll be tough going to beat Portugal but not impossible. No Pepe. No Coentrao. With luck a gimpy Ronaldo.

Speaking as an American, and as an avid lifelong sports fan, all I can say is...........

...... we have a soccer team?

coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif

Yeah, as someone in the U.S. right now I can safely report that there's not alot of news reporting of America's effort in the world cup right now stateside. Stanley cup was big. NBA finals big. Soccer...ermmm...I mean footbal is barely a blip on the radar. Looking here is how I found out U.S.A. won over Ghana. (Ummm...congratulations and yay!!!! I guess).

• Like 1

Speaking as an American, and as an avid lifelong sports fan, all I can say is...........

Yeah, as someone in the U.S. right now I can safely report that there's not alot of news reporting of America's effort in the world cup right now stateside. Stanley cup was big. NBA finals big. Soccer...ermmm...I mean footbal is barely a blip on the radar. Looking here is how I found out U.S.A. won over Ghana. (Ummm...congratulations and yay!!!! I guess).

To each his own.

When does the Rounders season start?

Also speaking as an American......

...... what and/or where is "Ghana"?

whistling.gif

They're probably building a theme park in Las Vegas, called something like 'Trump's Deepest Darkest Africa' and Ghana will have a theme room there. That's where you can find it. Edited by boomerangutang

Yes, and if you go to Italy, don't be surprised if they've got pizza there as well. Luckily, it's pronounced almost the same in the European language.

Then, if you go to visit Windsor Castle, please don't ask why they built it so close to the airport. Above all, if you go to Ireland, County Mayo, please don't ask them if that's where ... ah, never mind.

The US soccer team, though, is a triumph in a country which has several other major sports to attract talent. A draw against Portugal on Sunday and a cagey performance against the Germans should see them through to the last 16, where they could face .... Russia.

• Like 1

To each his own.

When does the Rounders season start?

I don't believe that rounders has ever been played professionally in the US.

Come to think of it, I'm not aware of that game ever having been being played by professionals elsewhere in the world, either!

Having said that.... similarly to it's cousins (schlagball, town ball, cricket, lapta, cat ball, goal ball, round ball, baseball, etc...), the rules of rounders do apparently acknowledge the evolutionary fact that humans have developed opposable thumbs, so there is at least an outside chance that it could conceivably find an audience in the States! thumbsup.gif