Flying with baby.

TexasRanger

I think we've got everything covered with our upcoming flight to the UK, but is there any crazy burocratic nonsense we might have forgotten to trip us up? Got the Thai passport for exit, got the uk one for entry.

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Cheers. TR

• Like 1

When travelling take a copy of the birth certificate with you.

As a family you can use the Thai national lines and in the UK the lines for UK-nationals, you don't have to go through seperate channels.

Thanks for that advice. What's the birth certificate copy for? I hafe electronic copies, do I need a hard copy for something?

I understand it is ok to take water for her milk as long as it is in the milk bottles, I guess Suvharnabhumi security are cool with this? Any recent first hand experience?

We took warm water in a flask, last week, no worries - didnt even check to be honest

• Like 1

Have a pint of real ale for me chum when you get there...........thumbsup.gif

Consider it done.
...traditional British ales, not the new American versions. Promise?
Shocked you would ask to be honest; -) Edited by TexasRanger
  • Like 1

Take your Babies Car safety seat and put it in the planes seat then Baby will be happy and sleep so your trip will be all smiles

You will have to put the seat belt through the baby seat as flight attendants are not allowd to

During descent, and only slightly during ascent, we need to clear our ears and most do it without thinking by just swallowing or the valsalva method. (Pinching your nose while trying to blow out your nose and clearing your ears. Since babies can't do this, it creates incredible pain and can damage the ear drums. Not to mention bothering all the Pax within 30 rows. Sooooo, have a bottle to give just at top of descent, so the baby can swallow all the way down. I've been driving airplanes around the world for the past 30 years and can hear the little brats, I mean babies through the reinforced cockpit door. Use some common sense and hold off that final feeding until then. When will you know it's top of descent? As a rule of thumb, your top of drop is 30 minutes give or take a few minutes, before your actual ETA. So, 0930 arrival? stick that nipple in at 0900. Good luck and most places won't hassle your milk supply but I've been hassled for a nail clipper, go figure.

• Like 1

2 weeks ago bringing the baby out of Thailand for the first time, BKK - MNL we were asked for the Birth certificate which we did not have, stupid us thinking the passport would be good enough. Anyway we were asked for more proof than the passport so i asked like what ?? he said pictures. no worries the misses's pulled out the pad showed him a load of pics no worries all good.

The mind Boggles anyway don't forget the passport, birth certificate and most importantly some pictures...

I noticed on some of the KLM flights that people with babies were sitting at the very front seats and people had hammock type beds fixed on the front bulkhead for the babies to sleep in looked like a good idea as they were all very quiet kids, have a great trip and enjoy the journey.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice. We already have bassinet seats and just came through passport control with just her thai passport.

Regarding that the check in girl said we should hide the uk passport or she will lose her thai one. Is this true? When we come back from uk will thai immigration not wonder why she has no stamp or visa in her Thai passport?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I noticed on some of the KLM flights that people with babies were sitting at the very front seats and people had hammock type beds fixed on the front bulkhead for the babies to sleep in looked like a good idea as they were all very quiet kids, have a great trip and enjoy the journey.

These are called Bassinet seats and have to be prebooked with the airline plus there is a weight limit for use which varies from airline to airline. Also when the seat belt sign comes on you have to take the baby out :(

Thanks for the advice. We already have bassinet seats and just came through passport control with just her thai passport.

Regarding that the check in girl said we should hide the uk passport or she will lose her thai one. Is this true? When we come back from uk will thai immigration not wonder why she has no stamp or visa in her Thai passport?

No, that is not true. Your child has dual nationality by way of birth and in that case there is no problem with holding dual nationality.

• Like 1

One very important thing is to protect your child's ears from pressure changes that cause pain and possible permanent ear damage. Not to mention a nice quiet flight for all. For your child's sake please see this site.

http://www.buybuybaby.com/store/product/earplanes-reg-flight-ear-protection-plugs-for-children/1012588950

My daughter has been flying since see was six months old and never a problem...tried and true! You may be able to find them on another site, but for $3.99 to protect you child's ears is worth much more. I am not affiliated and have no interest in this company only your son or daughters ears. Have a nice flight!

Cheers,

D

Edited by Isaandon
  • Like 1