Khon Kaen Immigration

klikster

For past few years it's been at the Pullman Hotel.

Usually AM only.

The Outreach has been at the Pullman (previously the Sofitel) for the past 12 years... Starts at 8:am and usually states "until 12: Noon", but they will stay until all are served... I have noticed the past couple of years that the numbers of US Citizens attending seems to have grown to 5 to 10 times what it use to be... They use to hold it in the Loby area and were almost always finished and just sitting around visiting with whomever wanted to stay and talk by about 10:30 or so...

Pianoman

Edited by pianoman

• 2 weeks later...

Went yesterday to do my 90 day report and all I can say is that I was amazed. I had already downloaded and filled out my report. Walked in and only a few people doing business, but the 90 day guy on the left wasn't busy. He motioned me over, I gave him my report and passport and. before I could sit down he scanned my passport, then gave a quick look at my report to make sure it was complete and looked at my passport. Removed the old 90 day receipt pulled the new one off of the printer and stapled it in place. Was on my way out in less then 5 min.. He was very cordial and laughing with me at my feeble attempts at Thai. A few new faces there and they now even have a copy machine right outside with a couple of young ladies to help people fill out their forms and such. So was very impressed with the new attitude and service hope they can keep it up.

• Like 2

You really cant blame the miserable one for being so. I've seen people totally disrespect her and even shout and point the finger at her.

Remember it's normal for these officers to be corrupt.

The worst is a newish young guy who looks hungover often and sings mor lam songs. He knows I know someone far superior to him and inflential and doesnt seem to like it and gives me a weird look and doesn't like speaking Thai with me.

Last week he waited for at least 1 min looking for my 100 baht change.

I wonder how many per day tell him to keep the change.

I estimate they earn an extra 50-100k baht a month from change and things like letting gullible retirees use their letter from embassy for more than one year to save them a trip to Bkk. Last guy I knew to pay this gave him 8000 baht. And we can say nothing can we.

No wonder they have to pay for a job there.

Edited by Neeranam

"... like letting gullible retirees use their letter from embassy for more than one year to save them a trip to Bkk."

No need for a trip to Bangkok for an income letter.

With an Outreach visit here a couple of times a year, and a couple more in Udon thani, it can be done locally.

ACS visit to the Pullman tomorrow morning.

"... like letting gullible retirees use their letter from embassy for more than one year to save them a trip to Bkk."

No need for a trip to Bangkok for an income letter.

With an Outreach visit here a couple of times a year, and a couple more in Udon thani, it can be done locally.

ACS visit to the Pullman tomorrow morning.

Not if I'm from Belgium. Only for yanks is it not?
  • Like 1

Last guy I knew ... One of the advantages of not knowing anybody.

... and if you don't want them to monkey around with the 100 baht change bring the exact amount with you -- there is now a 7-11 right on the corner.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Dealt with the middle-aged female officer at the end of the row today.

She's your worst immigration officer nightmare. Rude and pushy. She threatened a "$5000-baht penalty visa overstay" (her words) for not having the "Receipt of Notification" from my last 90-day report (sent by post).

In fact they never sent it to me. I had the EMS receipt and the EMS tracker report showing they signed for it. She refused to even look at it.

For over 10 years, immigration offices have accepted the EMS proof when the Receipt of Notification hasn't come through (I've had to use it 3-4 times).

Not now. It either reflects a change of climate toward foreigners or that said officer got up on the wrong side of the bed this a.m. Having dealt with this particular misanthrope for over 10 years, you know what I suspect.

Scary stuff.

Edited by Fookhaht

She's your worst immigration officer nightmare. Rude and pushy. She threatened a "$5000-baht penalty visa overstay" (her words) for not having the "Receipt of Notification" from my last 90-day report (sent by post).

In fact they never sent it to me. I had the EMS receipt and the EMS tracker report showing they signed for it. She refused to even look at it.

For over 10 years, immigration offices have accepted the EMS proof when the Receipt of Notification hasn't come through (I've had to use it 3-4 times).

Not now. It either reflects a change of climate toward foreigners or that said officer got up on the wrong side of the bed this a.m. Having dealt with this particular misanthrope for over 10 years, you know what I suspect.

Scary stuff.

Really? Have you followed her from her last posting? The staff of the KK office has change completely, at least one time, in the past 10 years. Actually, maybe 2 times.

Did you have to pay $5000??!!

Did you have to pay Bt 5000? If not, how much did you have to pay?

Edited by klikster

Went yesterday to do my 90 day report and all I can say is that I was amazed. I had already downloaded and filled out my report. Walked in and only a few people doing business, but the 90 day guy on the left wasn't busy. He motioned me over, I gave him my report and passport and. before I could sit down he scanned my passport, then gave a quick look at my report to make sure it was complete and looked at my passport. Removed the old 90 day receipt pulled the new one off of the printer and stapled it in place. Was on my way out in less then 5 min.. He was very cordial and laughing with me at my feeble attempts at Thai. A few new faces there and they now even have a copy machine right outside with a couple of young ladies to help people fill out their forms and such. So was very impressed with the new attitude and service hope they can keep it up.

Was there this morning.

Exactly as you described it.

5 minutes and out.

The only difference now is they have a coffee shop outside, so I could enjoy my café yen.

Scary stuff.

Really? Have you followed her from her last posting? The staff of the KK office has change completely, at least one time, in the past 10 years. Actually, maybe 2 times.

Did you have to pay $5000??!!

Did you have to pay Bt 5000? If not, how much did you have to pay?

She has haunted me and my passport/visa for 12 years: Nong Khai, Ek-Udon Hospital, back to Nong Khai and then Khon Kaen.

A witch virtually every single encounter. The woman is infamous, by my own observation and by the multitude of reports about her on ThaiVisa.

No, after a great deal of protesting on my part, explaining that she was trying to make me pay 5000B for their negligence, she relented and shook her finger in my face with a "I'll let you go this time, but next time no mercy if you don't have our receipt!" (paraphrasing her broken English).

I felt like a severely scolded child. She's always taken great pride in her efforts to demean customers.

This is the third time this immigration office has failed to send back the receipt. The other two times they accepted my EMS tracking report as proof of sending my report. This time, she would have none of it.

It has really shaken my confidence in trying to avoid the three hour round-trip by posting my 90 day report.

• Like 1

Seriously, I feel for you, Fookhaht.

My quarterly journeys from Pak Thongchai to Chokchai -- then later on -- Dan Kwian (Korat) were not so bad, except sometimes DK was packed and have had to wait as long as 2 hours.

When I lived in Ban Krut (Bangsaphan), I had to drive about 300 km to Dan Singkorn Immigration. Did that for 5 years.

• Like 1

Maybe the guy above provides enough detail about his previous encounters so that the KK IMM officer in question can say to self and compatriots: Here comes that guy again who is always bad-mouthing me on the internet.

BTW I've encountered that same IMM officer many times with zero confrontations.

Maybe the guy above provides enough detail about his previous encounters so that the KK IMM officer in question can say to self and compatriots: Here comes that guy again who is always bad-mouthing me on the internet.

Lucky you.
  • Like 2

Lucky you.

Unlucky you.

• 2 weeks later...

Wife always does my 90-day report at KK Imm, and went today mid-morning. Very crowded, so she only waited 30 min, then came back home -- easy to do since we're 15 minutes away. She will try again tomorrow.

She made some interesting observations during her wait.

- regular guy at 90-day desk wasn't working today

- one other man working -- 2 women working (one 'kind of young and talks quiet' and the older woman at the far right desk)

- her take on the older woman could be paraphrased as "mostly bark and very little bite"

- she mention seeing on older gent who came in alone with less documentation than he needed. The 'kind of young and talked quiet' officer went and made the extra copies that he needed.

Went for my 90 day yesterday morning, 27 August. 3 people on duty - the usual woman on the right, a young man and a new young woman who'd been there 3 months, she said. Not at all busy - got my queue ticket at 11:00 and was on my way by 11:20, which included making way for a Canadian bloke to complete his paperwork with the new young woman officer, who was very pleasant - I suppose she's the "kind of young & talked quiet" officer mentioned above.

Last 90 day report, the woman on the right wanted 2 copies of my passport. The report before that, no copies were required by the older man - he never smiled but was nonetheless very easy to deal with - who might now have been promoted & moved on. This time only one copy was wanted. Each time, I gave a TM 47, entries were made on the computer & the receipt section was pinned to my passport . Nothing unusual there but others have said that, at different offices, they now only need to present the passport & everything else is computer printed.

Bearing in mind the recent discussions about TM30s being needed now, I had a copy of mine from 2 years ago with me and asked the officer about it - it was clearly something she knew nothing about and she said she only needed TM47 & passport copies.

BTW, ever wondered what happens to your passport copies? Some time ago, the Captain at the back of the office wrote some notes for me on a scrap of paper from her desk. When I got home, I looked on the back of the paper & found the passport page of a Burmese woman .........

Lucky you.

Unlucky you.

well I've met that particular lady several times. She's no different from the others in that she has sticky fingers. I imagine they earn little and rely on hefty "tips" to boost their earnings. The only difference is that she has a continuous scowl. She's also very ungrateful for the extra money.

The only time she perks up is when she smells the pleasant whiff of cash. When I phoned her to help renew my visa, she was all over me like a rash. When I turned up to the office to sort it out, she ushered me over to the far desk and asked to see the agreed "tip". I had hidden it an envelope to be discreet (that's how the previous guy used to prefer it). "No", she said. 'Just take it out and hand it over." So right there, in front of all her colleagues and everyone else waiting, I handed over a big pile of 1,000 baht notes and she counted them in front of us. Having got the cash and shoved it inside her pocket, she resumed her normal scowl and I felt she treated me with no respect at all. She took a call from a friend and chatted with him/her for ages. She left the office and didn't return for some time. She spent several minutes chatting with others in the office. When she finally handed over my passport and visa, there was no "thank you" or smile. By the time I'd left I'd been waiting by that far desk for the best part of an hour, at least 45 minutes anyway. I wasn't any happier when I met a fellow farang the next day and he told me he'd just been through the whole process (retirement visa) with a friendly guy at the near desk for several thousand baht less and far more quickly. Hey it's corruption and it suits us as much as it suits them - but that doesn't mean you can't be pleasant about it!

• 3 weeks later...

I've had to deal with her 2 times in the last 2 years & both times I've been made to come back the next day with some stupid piece of paper that wasn't on the list that she seemed to invent just to annoy me... with a 400 odd Km round trip on my motor sai not impressed, nasty bitch made me do it with my 7 month pregnant wife last time I hope karma catches up with her soon...

Maybe it's your karma catching up with you.

You travelled 400 km with your pregnant wife on the back of a motorbike? Or was she driving? Unbelievable.

Edited by Neeranam

Got my retirement visa, a month ago.

Got served with a smile and courtesy.

Everything done in 1 hour.

I was served by the guy in the middle not the woman.

She was pleasant enough cracking jokes with the other 2 blokes.

When I finished, I asked for a certificate for my Yellow book.

I was told, this would have cost you 500Baht, but I will give it to you for free.

When we left, I asked my wife to pinch me.........are we still in Thailand?

Where is the horror stories I read on TVF?

It's always been free for me.

NOt sure where to look for acurate info about NON O A Retirement long stay visa. the sources named in old publications on thaivisa with void links are scary because it is hard to obtain all these docs....but also not what is being said by most people now. The government source Immingratin Buearu has little to help.

Is there an official Thai source for what is required to get this visa? The one thing I am shy of is my passport will expire Aug 1015....not the 18 months some are saying is needed for the one year visa. I have two weeks to do something about it, but not sure how long it takes the US Embassy to issue a new passport. It take months to get a passport in the US...not sure how long to get one here.

The few I have read about recent visa of this type only says they have 800000B, docs from bank, etc. Some say not medical doc needed. I was told by a man in Khon Kaen Immigration Office the cost is 26000 if no money in bank, and need medical cert from doctor.

I have the medical cert, money in bank. Contract to show purchase of condo. and Passport until 2015 Aug.

Any help appreciated.

The info may have been somewhere buy my old eyes can not read everything...thanks.

The cost is NOT 26,000 baht. This is an illegal activity. Money straight into his pocket. Maybe you should take a tape recorder or better sill a hidden camera and expose this bent officer.

Just for information.

Yesterday (18.9.) did my third one year extension based on retirement (and 90 day report) at KK.

Arrived early (8:45h), quite empty, only two officers on duty.

The "infamous" lady on the right: friendly, well mannered, even caught a smile.

What has happened biggrin.png

Grabbed TM7 and TM47, my passport, bank statement from the day before, passbook updated the day before and the misc copies.

(I had my yellow housebook lying on the table, not sure whether she even looked for it).

I used a "Fixed Deposit Account" (Bangkok Bank) with 800k+, due date Dec 2014.

One of the type where the money would be fully accessible anytime (loosing interest only).

No TM30 discussion or the like.

In and out in about 20 min completely seamless.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

went in for a 12 month extension last week and no problem put the papers on the desk. the conversation was asking for the fee and look at the camera. I was in and out in 20 minutes. the thing I wonder about now is why I need to supply a picture of myself if they are taking one now when you submit the form.

Picture: yes, forgot to mention. Same to me.

Why?

Obviously immigration has upgraded their IT systems and they want to have it electronically in a simple way.

Application form goes to the old style filing cabinet.

Maybe they will even introduce fingerprint scanner some time soon (as was announced a while ago for border control).

• 2 weeks later...