Are Wireless Routers Reliable....

jingjingna

I am thinking of getting a wireless router but before I part with my cash, I'd appreciate some help/feedback.

I will need to connect upto two/three desktops at any given time as well as phone/fax machine. I have read that Linksys routers are quite good but should I be looking at a particular spec to meet my requirements?

Thanks! :o

I have used a few, currently the D-link G604.

Well worth a look at 3000 baht

I also have the G604 and can recomend it as wireless modem/router.

The DI-524 is also good as wireless router, without the adls modem

Hey

I have used Linksys for the past 3 years. I like their equipment because the technical support is excellent. I have just purchased the WRTP54G, it is a 4 port wireless G router. Great range, I can connect the laptop from the pool deck, which is approx. 120 feet line of sight from the router. Cost here in the USA $ 99 - $ 110. I am sure Linksys will have a similar model available in the LOS.

Regards

Peter

I am using a COMPEX Netpassage 28G with the free modem from True.

I posted earlier that the router was junk, as it was, but I upgraded the firmware, and its a great peice of gear. It comes with 4 USB ports and I run the printer, a Web-Cam and a USB storage device shared with all computers on the home network.

It also supports WEP and WPA security, and the firewall is good also.

It was about 2,200 Baht and now, after the firmware upgrade, I would recommend it.

DLink 604 user here as well. Using it almost 2 years now and its great. I've been having trouble lately though with both my 604 and my DLink Access Point 2000+. Occassionally it drops my connection, the 604 signal usually comes back but the AP usually needs a hard reboot. Anyone seen this?

thanks

I have been using an SMC 7904 wireless/modem for the last year with no problems, 24 hours a day. The fax/phone would be on your normal phone line from your splitter rather than the modem I suspect.

DLink 604 user here as well. Using it almost 2 years now and its great. I've been having trouble lately though with both my 604 and my DLink Access Point 2000+. Occassionally it drops my connection, the 604 signal usually comes back but the AP usually needs a hard reboot. Anyone seen this?

thanks

do you have zonealarm running as well?

if so put your home iprange in the trusted zone, had the same probem, but found out that it was zonealarm who caused the problem

There is an article at Tomshardware on a linksys wireless router. Go and have a read.

I've had Zyxel and two D-link wireless routers. The Zyxel one works, but not as good as I would like. It doesn't work very well with wireless-B (11mbps) notebooks. The D-links have no wireless problems, but one of them doesn't like one of my switches (will have erratic connection).

And how does a fax machine connect to a wireless router?

thanks

Yes, I have the DWL 2000AP+ and have to hard boot it two or three times a week also. For exactly the same reasons.

Edited by jsat