From Khon Kaen to Chiang Rai

Hi guys

I need to move my motorcycle (New Honda PCX 150) I was thinking to drive from Khon Kaen to Chiang Rai but I dont know if this trip is advisablle I mean what are the conditions of the roads? dangers?

Advices and information are welcome

Thanks

no problems, lots of people are touring all over South East Asia on 100 cc honda waves.

roads up North are not that bad of course take it easy if you are not jaded on Thai roads.

good luck!

Sounds like a great trip, I did Phitsanulok to Nan (on the 11/101) to Chiang Rai (on the 1148) in December. Might not be the best time of the year in terms of rain though...

Good what about the roads?

I went Bangkok --> Phetchabun --> Phitsanulok --> Nan --> Chaing Rai so a bit different to your route (never done it but I've heard Khon Kaen to Phetchabun isn't bad). The only bad bit was highway 12 between Phetchabun/Lom Sak and Phitsanulok where there was quite a stretch of roadworks, might be finished by now though.

I really enjoyed the ride from Phitsanulok to Nan and the 1148 from Nan to Chiang Rai is well known as a great road. Just take it easy, roads can wash away in the wet season so you never know what's around the next bend.

Sounds like a great trip, I did Phitsanulok to Nan (on the 11/101) to Chiang Rai (on the 1148) in December. Might not be the best time of the year in terms of rain though...

Thailand has some of the best riding roads in Asia. Due to my age, I can't keep up with the young guns anymore in terms of speed thrills. Instead I get my thrills from not knowing what's around the corner, be it a pothole, gravel patch, oncoming pickup or even a police block.

Unless you are an experienced or adventurous rider, you might want to consider riding with a friend or an alternative mean of transporting the bike. Also, I believe this journey is over 700 km and on the PCX, you would only be averaging around 60-80 kmh (you might hit top speeds of over 100 kmh but whenever you pass through a town or mooban, the speed comes down) which means you need to split your trip over two days.

Having said that, I wish I had such an errand to run. Some of the roads that you will be taking are breathtakingly superb, fantastic scenery and lovely coffee shops with pretty young things. So all in all, go for it, but make sure you are wearing appropriate gear, tyres at the right pressure (I presume they are still fairly new) and don't rush (not that you can on a PCX).

Good luck and safe riding

• Like 1

I went Bangkok --> Phetchabun --> Phitsanulok --> Nan --> Chaing Rai so a bit different to your route (never done it but I've heard Khon Kaen to Phetchabun isn't bad). The only bad bit was highway 12 between Phetchabun/Lom Sak and Phitsanulok where there was quite a stretch of roadworks, might be finished by now though.

I really enjoyed the ride from Phitsanulok to Nan and the 1148 from Nan to Chiang Rai is well known as a great road. Just take it easy, roads can wash away in the wet season so you never know what's around the next bend.

Thanks, I saw on Google Maps there is a road 12 between Khon Kaen and Philsanulok I think this road should be ok but not sure

Thailand has some of the best riding roads in Asia. Due to my age, I can't keep up with the young guns anymore in terms of speed thrills. Instead I get my thrills from not knowing what's around the corner, be it a pothole, gravel patch, oncoming pickup or even a police block.

Unless you are an experienced or adventurous rider, you might want to consider riding with a friend or an alternative mean of transporting the bike. Also, I believe this journey is over 700 km and on the PCX, you would only be averaging around 60-80 kmh (you might hit top speeds of over 100 kmh but whenever you pass through a town or mooban, the speed comes down) which means you need to split your trip over two days.

Having said that, I wish I had such an errand to run. Some of the roads that you will be taking are breathtakingly superb, fantastic scenery and lovely coffee shops with pretty young things. So all in all, go for it, but make sure you are wearing appropriate gear, tyres at the right pressure (I presume they are still fairly new) and don't rush (not that you can on a PCX).

Good luck and safe riding

Thanks unfotunatly I have no friend riding with me, however my PCX have less than 1200 km on the clock so I think it is Ok sure I will have to follow you advice , split my trip at the least in 2 days even because i am not going to rush thamk you very much

I will ask you how much riding have you done, how many long trips? KK to Ploke a bit over 300k good ride for first day. Parts of Highway 12 are a mess but if you pay attention not dangerous but as I said pay attention as there are some sheer drop offs without a road shoulder, it will be a great road when done. From here to north I guess it would be the 11 get out a map and check your route. The roads north are all in fairly good shape most have a good shoulder, just pay attention not much time for rubber necking.

I have ridden all over Thailand except down into the deep south you will not have any problems unless they are created by you a good place for breaks is the PTT stations as they have the Amazon Coffee shop for a break and the toilets are clean.

Have fun it is a great ride, I usually ride my PCX 90 to 100kph KK to ploke a good 8 hours with stops. Ploke is about half way from Chiang Mai to Khon Kaen to Chiang Rai maybe a bit futher use google maps for a estimate on milage. Your butt will hate you

Edited by moe666

I will ask you how much riding have you done, how many long trips? KK to Ploke a bit over 300k good ride for first day. Parts of Highway 12 are a mess but if you pay attention not dangerous but as I said pay attention as there are some sheer drop offs without a road shoulder, it will be a great road when done. From here to north I guess it would be the 11 get out a map and check your route. The roads north are all in fairly good shape most have a good shoulder, just pay attention not much time for rubber necking.

I have ridden all over Thailand except down into the deep south you will not have any problems unless they are created by you a good place for breaks is the PTT stations as they have the Amazon Coffee shop for a break and the toilets are clean.

Have fun it is a great ride, I usually ride my PCX 90 to 100kph KK to ploke a good 8 hours with stops. Ploke is about half way from Chiang Mai to Khon Kaen to Chiang Rai maybe a bit futher use google maps for a estimate on milage. Your butt will hate you

it is a long time i dont drive long trips in the past when i was younger (58 y.o. now) I rode a lot (never in Thailand) but i had different kind of bikes and some bigger than this (Laverda,Ducati,Aermacchi, Kawasaki) maybe before to start this trip that I think it is challenging I will have to try a short trip just to test my endurance driving, however I am not in rush I can take my time and split the trip over 2 days

Thank you very much for your tips

Route 12 between Lom Sak and Phitsanulok is as bad as it has been with the current road works,the small sections that are partially finished are now 4 lane and very good.

it is a long time i dont drive long trips in the past when i was younger (58 y.o. now) I rode a lot (never in Thailand) but i had different kind of bikes and some bigger than this (Laverda,Ducati,Aermacchi, Kawasaki) maybe before to start this trip that I think it is challenging I will have to try a short trip just to test my endurance driving, however I am not in rush I can take my time and split the trip over 2 days

I am 68 age not an excuse hehehe. The only section I would call a challenge will be Highway 12 as in Mar. it has major construction, in some spots tearing half a mountain down to expand to 4 lanes. You will just have to be carefull in this area.As I said get out your map and plan a nice trip on some of the back roads much more fun than taking the main highway. I will always go for the secondary roads when ever possible just more fun and more to see. You may want to take 3 days if you haven't ridden that much on long trips

It's a little over 700km, two days with very early starts would be my method, stop the night in Uttaradit, we found a great new hotel for 450b. Plenty of coffee breaks to keep your wits at 100%, as the PCX is a pretty relaxing machine at 80kph, so about 6 hours of riding per day, means taking the afternoon off.

Think of it as a simple 700km round trip, as you ain't coming back.

Edited by AllanB

I am 68 age not an excuse hehehe. The only section I would call a challenge will be Highway 12 as in Mar. it has major construction, in some spots tearing half a mountain down to expand to 4 lanes. You will just have to be carefull in this area.As I said get out your map and plan a nice trip on some of the back roads much more fun than taking the main highway. I will always go for the secondary roads when ever possible just more fun and more to see. You may want to take 3 days if you haven't ridden that much on long trips

Great Moe! I wish you millions and millions Km riding your bike, thanks again for your tips

It's a little over 700km, two days with very early starts would be my method, stop the night in Uttaradit, we found a great new hotel for 450b. Plenty of coffee breaks to keep your wits at 100%, as the PCX is a pretty relaxing machine at 80kph, so about 6 hours of riding per day, means taking the afternoon off.

Yes Uttaradit is a litle bit over half way from Khon Kaen to Chiang Rai it depends how the weather will be I should be pleased if I can cover this trip on the first day

Thanks

Yes Uttaradit is a litle bit over half way from Khon Kaen to Chiang Rai it depends how the weather will be I should be pleased if I can cover this trip on the first day

Thanks

Yeah about 400 kms is doable by lunch time if you start early. Most I've done on a scooter was 600kms in a day (Yamaha Nouvo) and the last couple of hundred was really back breaking, I wouldn't recommend more than 400 per day on a scooter.

The early start is crucial IMO, I set off just before dawn, around 5am, ride for an hour and a half and then stop for breakfast and coffee, that first 100+km flies by and watching the sun rise is great.

After a good brecky and plenty of coffee, or M150, I do another 100+km, or whatever and even if I am not there by lunchtime, there are only a few insignificant km left and half the day to do it in. The mountain roads are my personal favourite and although the PCX won't fly up, you don't wanna do that anyway and be careful you don't cook your brakes on the way down.

Yes, Uttaradit is slightly more than half way, that means day 2 is easier, far better that way round, I am not sure there is very much before there anyway.

Edited by AllanB

The early start is crucial IMO, I set off just before dawn, around 5am, ride for an hour and a half and then stop for breakfast and coffee, that first 100+km flies by and watching the sun rise is great.

After a good brecky and plenty of coffee, or M150, I do another 100+km, or whatever and even if I am not there by lunchtime, there are only a few insignificant km left and half the day to do it in. The mountain roads are my personal favourite and although the PCX won't fly up, you don't wanna do that anyway and be careful you don't cook your brakes on the way down.

Yes, Uttaradit is slightly more than half way, that means day 2 is easier, far better that way round, I am not sure there is very much before there anyway.

Yes I think this is a reasonable travel plan

Thanks

Edited by Supertuktuk

If you want to add a bit of adventure to your trip on the second day go to Nam Pat and then over to the ferry across the big reservoir and then north to Phrae, then on up to Chiang Rai. You will go this way on the 11 and then cut off to the 1 the trip across the lake is fun and something different. Get your map out and check the route

• Like 1

Everyone is saying two days, I say take 4 or 5,,stop where you feel like on the way, buy a coke and sit it the roadside shop and watch life go past and see the scenery. If it rains stay the night, everywhere has rooms even if they are short term ones they are ok for the night with or without company.

• Like 1

If you want to add a bit of adventure to your trip on the second day go to Nam Pat and then over to the ferry across the big reservoir and then north to Phrae, then on up to Chiang Rai. You will go this way on the 11 and then cut off to the 1 the trip across the lake is fun and something different. Get your map out and check the route

It sounds interesting Moe

I was checking the map and I saw even some pictures , scenary really beatiful!

Thanks for your hint

Everyone is saying two days, I say take 4 or 5,,stop where you feel like on the way, buy a coke and sit it the roadside shop and watch life go past and see the scenery. If it rains stay the night, everywhere has rooms even if they are short term ones they are ok for the night with or without company.

Your advice is not bad especially if it rains, at the end i am not in rush

Your advice is not bad especially if it rains, at the end i am not in rush

Since you have not made any long rides lately I would think 3 days maybe a good Idea. It takes a lot of kilometers for your butt to go steel on you and really none of the scooters or motorcycles are all that comfortable. It just takes lots of rides to get your body in Shape.

You can miss a lot of the roadworks if you stay on route 12 until the turnoff for Nakhon Thai (after Lomsak). The 12 is busy and there is a lot of construction. Once off the 12 it is a peaceful diagonal line to Nakhon Thai and then Uttaradit. Then your back on the busy roads. I'm not fast, but constant and few breaks. KK to Nan is about 7.5 to 8 hours. A two day trip would be quite nice.

Thanks everybody

Since I am not in rush and I dont want to break my back or take any risk I will stop whenever I feel the need

This will be my first long trip in Thailand and I would like to enjoy everything it is possible

Thanks for your advices and tips I hope to read more and more

Edited by Supertuktuk

Thanks everybody

Since I am not in rush and I dont want to break my back or take any risk I will stop whenever I feel the need

This will be my first long trip in Thailand and I would like to enjoy everything it is possible

Thanks for your advices and tips I hope to read more and more

That's sensible, I never ride unless I am 100%.

It might be worth researching towns with hotels all along the route you are taking, then you can either plan how far you want to travel each day and book, or know how far the next hotel is. I wasn't looking too hard as I had decided to make it to Uttaradit, but didn't notice any on that first day.

There is nothing worse than getting tired, hoping there is somewhere to stay just up the road, especially on a bike.

Perfect planning prevents hiss poor performance.