7-10 Days Around Samui Area

Hi

I live in Chiang Mai and my sister is over to visit for 3 weeks in August. Now instead of staying in CM for the 3 weeks, I thought it would be better spent travelling with her to places I havent been before. Koh Samui and the islands is a excellent choice as she loves to snorkel. Now, whats the best thing to do,

base ourselves on Samui for 10 days and do daytrips to Tao etc or stay 3-5 nights on Samui and then move on to Phangan and Tao

we are both in our 30s and love outdoors,sightseeing, kicking back and the nightlife as well. Shopping is not high on the agenda as she would have been to CM first.

I have read that Chaweng Gardens on Samui is a good place to stay for a good price 1200B/night. Are there others that are recommended for Tao and Phangan for the same sort of price?

Any suggestions on a itenary would be good also, as you guys live there and are probably more honest than the guy in the travelshop on comission :o

oh, and any must sees and dos in the area or becareful ofs

thanks in advance

Hi

I live in Chiang Mai and my sister is over to visit for 3 weeks in August. Now instead of staying in CM for the 3 weeks, I thought it would be better spent travelling with her to places I havent been before. Koh Samui and the islands is a excellent choice as she loves to snorkel. Now, whats the best thing to do,

base ourselves on Samui for 10 days and do daytrips to Tao etc or stay 3-5 nights on Samui and then move on to Phangan and Tao

we are both in our 30s and love outdoors,sightseeing, kicking back and the nightlife as well. Shopping is not high on the agenda as she would have been to CM first.

I have read that Chaweng Gardens on Samui is a good place to stay for a good price 1200B/night. Are there others that are recommended for Tao and Phangan for the same sort of price?

Any suggestions on a itenary would be good also, as you guys live there and are probably more honest than the guy in the travelshop on comission :o

thanks in advance

I stayed in Chaweng Gardens I liked it because on beach, (go walk on beach early morning and hang out around sunset with a beernice bars though some a bit noisy for beach!) and across main street to Green Mangoe where most entertainment is, I have been in disco business and liked green Mangoe disco pretty world class, plenty of smaller places surounding it though all a bit insane with each pumping out its own sound. Also one disco/bar place on right on walk up to Green Mangoe Disco, and cheap noodle places bearing right after Green Mangoe disco. Could get tanked up on cheap vodka/red bull if so inclined then go in more expensive Green Mangoe.

Chaweng gardens gives a discount (reception by road) if you stay I think 4 nights and when I was there prices were about 800bht for nice 'hut' with air con hot shower and one big and one small bed, about 1000bht if you want cable TV and fridge in concrete block, there are two outfits in what looks like one hotel one reception on beach, one to right of property near main street. Look at rooms on offer.

From airport minibus about 150 bht each will take others, could go to road outside airport and catch Songtell pay 50 bht into Chaweng, goes to right outside airport so cross road to wait.

Chaweng Grdens is to right of Pizza Hut as you face sea, could ask for Pizza Hut as land mark.

Eat breakfast in cafe opposite Chaweng Gardens called 'The deck' has multiple choice farangish breakfast for I think 99bht and good. I did not enjoy cafe in Chaweng gardens expensive, also Thai food by side of Starbucks , turn right out of Chaweng Gdns about 300metres, ( and in Green Mangoe bear right towards back).

If esconced in Chaweng gardens and happy, I would not be tempted to visit Lamai nothing more to offer has big beach but nothing much on it. I also did not think Reggae pub worth the hassle over green mangoe.

Can't help you with diving and other islands I am afraid.

Hi

thanks in advance

I stayed in Chaweng Gardens I liked it because on beach, (go walk on beach early morning and hang out around sunset with a beernice bars though some a bit noisy for beach!) and across main street to Green Mangoe where most entertainment is, I have been in disco business and liked green Mangoe disco pretty world class, plenty of smaller places surounding it though all a bit insane with each pumping out its own sound. Also one disco/bar place on right on walk up to Green Mangoe Disco, and cheap noodle places bearing right after Green Mangoe disco. Could get tanked up on cheap vodka/red bull if so inclined then go in more expensive Green Mangoe.

Chaweng gardens gives a discount (reception by road) if you stay I think 4 nights and when I was there prices were about 800bht for nice 'hut' with air con hot shower and one big and one small bed, about 1000bht if you want cable TV and fridge in concrete block, there are two outfits in what looks like one hotel one reception on beach, one to right of property near main street. Look at rooms on offer.

From airport minibus about 150 bht each will take others, could go to road outside airport and catch Songtell pay 50 bht into Chaweng, goes to right outside airport so cross road to wait.

Chaweng Grdens is to right of Pizza Hut as you face sea, could ask for Pizza Hut as land mark.

Eat breakfast in cafe opposite Chaweng Gardens called 'The deck' has multiple choice farangish breakfast for I think 99bht and good. I did not enjoy cafe in Chaweng gardens expensive, also Thai food by side of Starbucks , turn right out of Chaweng Gdns about 300metres, ( and in Green Mangoe bear right towards back).

If esconced in Chaweng gardens and happy, I would not be tempted to visit Lamai nothing more to offer has big beach but nothing much on it. I also did not think Reggae pub worth the hassle over green mangoe.

hey thanks fisherd3 thats very helpful, I will look into it. It seems Chaweng Gardens is popular on TV. Hope someone can direct me for the other islands.

the best place for snorkelling on Koh Phangan is off of Mae Haad, at Koh Mah (the little island up at the top). The area is very accessible but I couldn't really recommend anyplace to stay there as I haven't been up there for a couple of years. Don't think there is much night life there tho.

Another option would be to stay in Ban Tai and travel out from there. Milky Bay is nice as is First Villa and around your price range (and both have pools, ac etc)

the best place for snorkelling on Koh Phangan is off of Mae Haad, at Koh Mah (the little island up at the top). The area is very accessible but I couldn't really recommend anyplace to stay there as I haven't been up there for a couple of years. Don't think there is much night life there tho.

Another option would be to stay in Ban Tai and travel out from there. Milky Bay is nice as is First Villa and around your price range (and both have pools, ac etc)

Koh Phangan

it looks like I might be there in time for the Full Moon Party on the 9th August !!

is it still running? And is it worth attending with all that crazyness going on?

Every month for at least 15 years. Well, I suppose if you like a big party and like the craziness then it is worth attending.

I guess its a "to do" before I die kinda thing, so why not? :o

sbk, so would Baan Tai be a good place to base ourselves for the FMP and daytrips or any place on the island is quite ok?

Is Koh Tao worth staying on for 2 whole days? Or better to get another 2 days on Samui/Phangan with nightlife?

thanks

:D

apparently, theres 2 places that are named almost the same. Is that the full name? Chaweng Gardens... or Chaweng Gardens Beach?

I guess it wouldnt matter as places wouldnt be full at August, would it?

I have stayed at Chaweng Gardens Beach every year for five and you can get a nice beach side room with a/c, shower, mini bar, tv for around 1000 baht. Nice friendly staff and rooms cleaned daily. About 15m from the beach. Also it is away from the main strip so is quiet, but still only a 5 minute walk.