Got a ticket today 1000 baht

yankee99

My question is ? If you have a net are you ok? Also is a net cover required for all cargo of a certain height?

First cover the load with a tarp....a cheap blue and white striped one will do. Then cover that with an elastic octopus net.

I have 2 elastic octopus net which can come in handy for higher loads.

The one in the pix isn't exactly what I have.....but I couldn't get a a pix of the ones I have!

attachicon.gifCropperCapture18.jpg

This is another one of those laws that I am forced to break. Back when I had both a big bike and a truck, I wouldn't dream of putting a tarp over the top of it so that it can flap in the wind (no matter how tight, it will flap in the wind) and wear the paint and plastics of the bike. Even a spider cargo net on top is not going to completely eliminate this.

• Like 1

Not difficult at all. My law would be if your load is oversize or improperly secured you get a violation. If all is secured properly you are on your way.

Define properly and how will the BiB decide if there are enough tie downs of sufficient tensile strength?

While I don't think the tensile strength of tie downs holding a motorcycle has ever crossed the mind of a bib, the tie downs ratchet straps I brought from home had the strain weight written right on them, kinda like this.

cargostrap.jpg

78627-RATCHET-STRAP-1024x693.jpg

It's not a weird law it's to stop fridges, fans, mattresses and all other sorts of crap flying off the back of pick-up trucks into your windscreen whilst the locals are traveling up and down the Country. Nets I believe are not allowed but why would you use a net when it could rain.

We are talking about a load which is secured by ratchet straps. Now we need to worry about a tarp blowing off and blinding a following car.
if you have a load like this

post-44962-0-78303300-1403149716_thumb.j

then a tarp held down like this

post-44962-0-33826200-1403149730_thumb.j

there would be no problem and no blowing off

The toll lady once stopped me from entering the highway because I had things sticking out the back of my hatch - even though the hatch was down and secured tightly with a bungy cord. I guess it was good that she stopped me before I got on the highway and into the police dragnet.

It's not a weird law it's to stop fridges, fans, mattresses and all other sorts of crap flying off the back of pick-up trucks into your windscreen whilst the locals are traveling up and down the Country. Nets I believe are not allowed but why would you use a net when it could rain.

We are talking about a load which is secured by ratchet straps. Now we need to worry about a tarp blowing off and blinding a following car.
if you have a load like this

there would be no problem and no blowing off

But he is not talking about a nice flat load.

He is talking about a bike

It is a dumb law & I agree there is more chance of tarp flapping causing multiple problems

with a tall ( above cab ) load than a nice flat load.

Common sense should prevail ( I know TIT so forget it )

But heavy machinery etc that has no chance of blowing out of a truck

if properly strapped down is not safer because it is covered by some plastic tarp

Quite the opposite.

It is what it is....extortion trumping common sense

Not difficult at all. My law would be if your load is oversize or improperly secured you get a violation. If all is secured properly you are on your way.

Define properly and how will the BiB decide if there are enough tie downs of sufficient tensile strength?

While I don't think the tensile strength of tie downs holding a motorcycle has ever crossed the mind of a bib, the tie downs ratchet straps I brought from home had the strain weight written right on them, kinda like this.

cargostrap.jpg

78627-RATCHET-STRAP-1024x693.jpg

Was intended to be tongue in cheek...

• Like 1

So after you payed the fine, you were allowed to drive on?

They didn't think that your loaded car was as dangerous after paying, as before paying?

(assuming that was what the fine was for)

Makes sense. When you pay for your fine for not having a helmet, they let you drive on. Please don't suggest that they should do an impound. Same with a broken taillight, or burned out headlight. Get a ticket, go fix the violation.

I drive BKK to Samut Prakan 3 times a week. Cops always pull trucks and bikes but in 4 years doing this route regularly I have never even been stopped in a sedan, let alone fined.

A farang in a truck carrying a bike must be like a dream come true for these muppets. 3 birds, 1 stone. Was tea money not an option?

Looks like the 1000 Bt was the tea money

All the suggestions of how you rope or cover your load are superfluous. Doesn't matter how good you've done it, if they want to fine you they will find something wrong, as most times they are making it up as they go along.

• Like 1

It's my understanding that the load needs to be covered and the tailgate up. Apparently you can't carry people in the bed either...have even seen them pull over a truck with a cap that had people in the back. Can't guarantee that was the actual infraction in that instance though.

This man is correct. On the motorway what he said. Covered load and no passengers in the back. Often I see the motorway police cars pulling over people in pickups before they get to the toll booth. I mention this just in case some here may think that the police do not do their jobwhistling.gif

Absolutely correct and nothing more to say!

I was stopped before with two uncovered scooters in the back.

200 Baht and the friendly cop explained me why (and has also showed me the pictures).

BUT, this is only valid on "toll-ways".

If you carefully observe the trucks (even the large ones) on the toll-way, you will notice that almost all cover their load, no matter what they carry.

Even a massive, 15 ton steel-cylinder needs to be covered....Sense of the whole thing? rolleyes.gif

TiT

Edited by Turkleton
  • Like 1

It's my understanding that the load needs to be covered and the tailgate up. Apparently you can't carry people in the bed either...have even seen them pull over a truck with a cap that had people in the back. Can't guarantee that was the actual infraction in that instance though.

Where you can seat people also depends on the color of your number plates.

If you have green plates, you can't even have passengers on a rear seat inside an 'extended' cab pickup.

Whats the rear seat and seat belts for then?Bib cant know that either,because while paying for other infractions,nothing said about 2 in the back.

A tarp is not going to stop a fridge or mattress. It certainly isn't going to stop a big bike. lol

A tarp is not going to stop a fridge or mattress. It certainly isn't going to stop a big bike. lol

Not in and of itself...but it could stop the wind from catching it and blowing it over/off.

Not in and of itself...but it could stop the wind from catching it and blowing it over/off.

Funny one would think a tarp would act more sail like & increase risk in many situations

Of course for small things such as gravel etc.... a tarp is 100% needed

On something like a fridge it is just increased sail area

On something like a bike which is well secured by strap & designed to move thru wind

anyway a non starter IMO

But at the end of the day TIT eh? Do as they say not as they do nor as common sense

suggests wink.png

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

I don't make the laws and if you want to drive around with no road -tax, probably no insurance and an uncovered load you're lucky it only cost you 30 bucks. Everyone always complains about Thai Laws but when they try do something to improve them everyone complains. Go figure.

Where you can seat people also depends on the color of your number plates.

If you have green plates, you can't even have passengers on a rear seat inside an 'extended' cab pickup.

Whats the rear seat and seat belts for then?Bib cant know that either,because while paying for other infractions,nothing said about 2 in the back.

The seat belts in the back are there for other markets that do allow people in the back. Do notice AnotherOneAmerican said "extended cab", that is a pick-up with two doors, not four. Four door pick-ups here are classified as passenger vehicles.

Interestingly, either way, only people in the front seat are required to wear a seat belt.

Section 123 (500B)

[The number of passengers sitting in the front row must not exceed two. The driver must wear a seat-belt, and let other passengers in the front row to wear a seat-belt.]

This law is only valid on the tollways.

Any other roads you can carry those things in the back without a tarp.

I have never heard that and I don't believe it to be true. I am sure I have read that section and it said nothing about toll ways. I remember a friend saying he got a ticket for uncovered load (big bike) on the way to Hua Hin from Phuket. No tollways there.

I will keep looking for that section and post it if I find it.

• Like 1

Nomads Joe, Just because you don't believe it to be true does not make it so. Take the advice/warning given. Sometimes we get away with it and sometimes we don't. Breathalizers, radar traps, speed signs, speeding, DUI's.

Sent from my A501 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You are required to secure all items and cover them securely This law has been in place for at least 7 years that I know of but it only applies to highways and tollways. You can carry around unsecured fridges, buffaloes and pigs to your heart's content on local roads. I believe the only exception to this law is animals which must be securely caged.

Nomads Joe, Just because you don't believe it to be true does not make it so. Take the advice/warning given. Sometimes we get away with it and sometimes we don't. Breathalizers, radar traps, speed signs, speeding, DUI's.

Sent from my A501 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks for that brilliant piece of logic in your first line. You must be a life coach. And here I thought all I needed for something to be true is believe in it. Nope, I'm Athiest. lol

I guess I wasn't clear. I am talking about the covered load law applying only to tollways. I don't believe that is correct. I think it applies to all public roadways in Thailand because I am pretty sure I have read this section of the traffic act, plus I know people that have gotten tickets for this while not on a toll road. I'll see if I can find the section. This unofficial source indicates the law applies to roads other than tollroads. http://www.asiatradingonline.com/carloads2.htm and same website http://www.asiatradingonline.com/carloads.htm

Edited by NomadJoe