Help with Malware? please

newatthis

Good morning,

Just a quick question

Have been having problems with this Avast pop-up for the last couple of days and it doesn't matter what site I'm opening [hotmail, Thaivisa, Bangkok Post, torrentday etc etc]. It reads:

Malware blocked

Object:http:/...ancbanner_general_728x90_264htn

Infection:URL:mal

Process:\Program Files (x86).....\firefox.exe

Can someone please help me to fix this problem.

Thanks heaps

Spybot search and Destroy seems to pick up Different Spyware than Malwarebytes too

I run Both programs and Have Avast

I don't run the Malwarebytes Anti Virus ( One virus program running in the background is enough)

Avast can run an Boot time Scan too If you do this allow plenty of time as it takes a while

Avast is very good

So Avast is pretty poor I guess.

Not really, been using it for years and it is rated quite well. It is intended primarily for viruses and not specifically malware and why you need more than one app. Haven't had a virus in many years using Avast.

I think it depends what version (paid or not ) of Avast you use as well To how well it finds and rids your computer of spyware

Delete Avast and install Comodo

I've used Comodo for years, it does protect against everything, email, the lot.

Excellent and free

I had an issue with a WiFi HP printer.

HP could not help, Comodo did.

In Firewall Settings, make sure to uncheck "Block fragmented IP traffic"

• Like 1

Not really, been using it for years and it is rated quite well. It is intended primarily for viruses and not specifically malware and why you need more than one app. Haven't had a virus in many years using Avast.

I think it depends what version (paid or not ) of Avast you use as well To how well it finds and rids your computer of spyware

The real time protection is the same, free or paid. The paid version offers ancillary functions such as automatic updating of other software when needed.

Spybot search and Destroy seems to pick up Different Spyware than Malwarebytes too

I run Both programs and Have Avast

I don't run the Malwarebytes Anti Virus ( One virus program running in the background is enough)

Avast can run an Boot time Scan too If you do this allow plenty of time as it takes a while

Avast is very good

Pay attention to this post, and never try to run two firewalls or two antivirus programs simultaneously. The Malware scanner is good and their antivirus is probably fine too, but it is a trial version and will hound you to buy after it expires. To resolve this, it is necessary to do a deep uninstall and reinstall only the scanner. To do a deep uninstall, download and install the free RevoUninstaller and choose the maximum removal option as you initiate it to remove a program.

• Like 1

Pay attention to this post, it is accurate.

• Like 1

Be careful what sites you visit, and always do "custom install" if you download free software. They like to dump junk extensions that will redirect etc as part of installation package, which many are too lazy to notice until too late. Check out any attachments BEFORE opening, and be double sure not .exe file!

Other than that, good recs regarding proactive protection.

Just a word of caution when downloading Malwarebytes anti-malware.

It's a good program which I use HOWEVER i noticed lately when downloading it from regular sites it defaults to install Baidu PC faster plus Hao123 during installation. Hao123 is a redirect which can be difficult to remove.

Pay attention to this post and avoid third party download sites. Even on their own sites you have to look carefully for an opportunity to uncheck options like Google Toolbar, Yahoo Toolbar, etc.

Yes this is true. When you enter set up you need to make sure to untick these programs or decline the offer otherwise you end up with that Baidu crap all over your computer. It happened to me but not with Malwarebytes. In the end I had to go into safe mode and delete a heap of entries in the registry to stop it coming back again. Note; if you dont go into safe mode it will either refuse permission to delete or reappear again in a few minutes.

• Like 1

I had this problem too and I cant say for 100% but it appears to have been Avast that was causing the problem. I say this as I finally got rid of it through a process of elimination.

1: Using Malwarebytes, which found the problems and eliminated them but they later reappeared.

2: Uninstalled Firefox and installed Slimboat and Green Browser.

3: Same problem with them and IE11.

4: Uninstalled Avast and installed 360 total security.

5: Ran Malwarebytes eliminated the problem

6 Ran Superanti spyware and 360 total security to double check

7 Unistalled Greenbrowser and slim boat reinstalled version 28 of Firefox (dont like the new version)

8 Ran CCleaner and Windows free registry cleaner.

9 Problem gone.

I have used Avast for a number of years and not had any problems up until now. It has become a bit resource hungry and is starting to nag all the time about upgrading to Premium.

360 Total Security seems to be running smoothly to date.

Be careful of advice like this. You do not and cannot delete Avast. It is a program and as such would have to be uninstalled.

Comodo does make a fine firewall but if memory serves, their antivirus is a paid application. You cannot go wrong with the Comodo firewall so long as you are judicious in how you use it.

Why are you concerned if Avast is blocking malware? Is that not what you expect it to do? That is what it is designed to do. There is nothing wrong with Avast or AVG, they are two of the leading free antivirus programs.

For regular maintenance, it is a good idea to install and run regularly the following free programs:

CCleaner

SuperAntiSpyware

Malwarebytes

None of the free antivirus programs are particularly strong at scanning and removal of malware. Their strength is in real time protection but if you click links in emails from unknown sources, routinely put your jump drive in public computers, or opt to visit web sites against real time warnings, it is hard for any free antivirus program to help you.

For scanning and removal, the second and third programs listed above are about as good as it gets. But, you have to keep the definitions database updated at least monthly, which is at least how often you should be running them.

The concern with Avast is that it appears that it is either a glitch in the program or malware/virus has somehow attached itself to Avast. When Avast is eliminated so is the problem including all the registry entries. I would stress that this is in my particular case, maybe others have different experiences. Read a blog on this particular Malware and it says that it has to be eliminated through the registry using regedit in safe mode, didnt mention anything about Avast there.

I use System Care 7 every 3/4 days (this is a free, full house suit that does most tasks you need to keep your pc tip top) I use malwarebytes and CCcleaner weekly in addition and never have any issues, get them all from freeware pics on Majorgeeks.com plus loads of other tips and advice thumbsup.gif

I've used Comodo for years, it does protect against everything, email, the lot.

Excellent and free

I had an issue with a WiFi HP printer.

HP could not help, Comodo did.

In Firewall Settings, make sure to uncheck "Block fragmented IP traffic"

Seems to make my PC run slow though