Help with Malware? please

newatthis

Delete Avast and install Comodo

Be careful of advice like this. You do not and cannot delete Avast. It is a program and as such would have to be uninstalled.

Comodo does make a fine firewall but if memory serves, their antivirus is a paid application. You cannot go wrong with the Comodo firewall so long as you are judicious in how you use it.

Why are you concerned if Avast is blocking malware? Is that not what you expect it to do? That is what it is designed to do. There is nothing wrong with Avast or AVG, they are two of the leading free antivirus programs.

For regular maintenance, it is a good idea to install and run regularly the following free programs:

CCleaner

SuperAntiSpyware

Malwarebytes

None of the free antivirus programs are particularly strong at scanning and removal of malware. Their strength is in real time protection but if you click links in emails from unknown sources, routinely put your jump drive in public computers, or opt to visit web sites against real time warnings, it is hard for any free antivirus program to help you.

For scanning and removal, the second and third programs listed above are about as good as it gets. But, you have to keep the definitions database updated at least monthly, which is at least how often you should be running them.

This was recommended by my IT manager

When I got a Malware I googled and installed some software that finds where the file is on your PC. If your PC is locked up then you can still run this program, you will need an external drive and two computers to download the software and transfer to the infected one. Run the software on the infected PC, software identifies where malware file is and then you can delete it via MS DOS, I googled on DOS commands as its 30 years since I used them. It worked for me and tip is that you may not be able to follow step by step the instructions of the software, some parts may work others not but as long as you can ID the file and delete it you should be ok, anyway thats what I did. Thank god for Google I would have been stuffed. My IT department would have just said I need a new PC or reimage = Lose all my work nightmare and two weeks cant work. I love Google and thanks so much to the IT geeks out there that develop these software programs to rid these disgusting viruses. Good always prevails over evil in the end - Something the elite in TH should take note of.

Spybot search and Destroy seems to pick up Different Spyware than Malwarebytes too

I run Both programs and Have Avast

I don't run the Malwarebytes Anti Virus ( One virus program running in the background is enough)

Avast can run an Boot time Scan too If you do this allow plenty of time as it takes a while

Avast is very good

Pay attention to this post, and never try to run two firewalls or two antivirus programs simultaneously. The Malware scanner is good and their antivirus is probably fine too, but it is a trial version and will hound you to buy after it expires. To resolve this, it is necessary to do a deep uninstall and reinstall only the scanner. To do a deep uninstall, download and install the free RevoUninstaller and choose the maximum removal option as you initiate it to remove a program.

Just install the freeware version of Malwarebytes in the first place. Schedule it in Windows scheduler to run once a week or month. Be sure to update the virus database before the scan.

When I got a Malware I googled and installed some software that finds where the file is on your PC. If your PC is locked up then you can still run this program, you will need an external drive and two computers to download the software and transfer to the infected one. Run the software on the infected PC, software identifies where malware file is and then you can delete it via MS DOS, I googled on DOS commands as its 30 years since I used them. It worked for me and tip is that you may not be able to follow step by step the instructions of the software, some parts may work others not but as long as you can ID the file and delete it you should be ok, anyway thats what I did. Thank god for Google I would have been stuffed. My IT department would have just said I need a new PC or reimage = Lose all my work nightmare and two weeks cant work. I love Google and thanks so much to the IT geeks out there that develop these software programs to rid these disgusting viruses. Good always prevails over evil in the end - Something the elite in TH should take note of.

What software are you referring to please?

RE:

"When I got a Malware I googled and installed some software that finds where the file is on your PC."

Also when you say file, do you mean the malware?

Edited by infinity11

Delete Avast and install Comodo

I've used Comodo for years, it does protect against everything, email, the lot.

Excellent and free

I had an issue with a WiFi HP printer.

HP could not help, Comodo did.

In Firewall Settings, make sure to uncheck "Block fragmented IP traffic"

Seems to make my PC run slow though

Quite interesting.

I have a Sony Vaio laptop with Windows 7, 8 Gb RAM, an i7 processor and 3D screen.

Firefox runs like a dog on it but Google Chrome is OK.

If only we knew why?

• Like 1

I got inspired and went full out.

I downloaded and used about four rootkit scanners.

And a bunch of software tools from/via majrogeeks.com.

Perhaps my two cents might now be worth three now.

I really ought to take my own computer advice which is change/update/tweak as little as possible.

But then you might never learn.

• Like 1

I got inspired and went full out. I downloaded and used about four rootkit scanners. And a bunch of software tools from/via majrogeeks.com. Perhaps my two cents might now be worth three now. I really ought to take my own computer advice which is change/update/tweak as little as possible. But then you might never learn.

Yup, if it ain't broke - don't fix it LOL

The trick is to do regular restore points.

At one time (XP) I used to make a regular image of the C: drive but as the bloating continues, this is less and less viable.

Do you ever think of using VMware?

If you have some suspicious software run it under VMware, if it does nasty things no harm done to the computer. Just reload the VMware clean system....

If it was OK, you can install it on the main OS.

Once, I had a trial database that allowed only 10 enquiries and then you needed to buy a license.

Under VMware, it started out as the first time it ran everytime. LOL After 10 enquiries, just reload the saved VM and enquire again.....

• Like 1

I have a Sony Vaio laptop with Windows 7, 8 Gb RAM, an i7 processor and 3D screen.

If only we knew why?

Try Firefox-compatible Palemoon or Cyberfox. I find Palemoon faster than FF--not to startup but to load pages. YMMV.

• Like 1

I got inspired and went full out. I downloaded and used about four rootkit scanners. And a bunch of software tools from/via majrogeeks.com. Perhaps my two cents might now be worth three now. I really ought to take my own computer advice which is change/update/tweak as little as possible. But then you might never learn.

Yup, if it ain't broke - don't fix it LOL

The trick is to do regular restore points.

At one time (XP) I used to make a regular image of the C: drive but as the bloating continues, this is less and less viable.

Do you ever think of using VMware?

If you have some suspicious software run it under VMware, if it does nasty things no harm done to the computer. Just reload the VMware clean system....

If it was OK, you can install it on the main OS.

Once, I had a trial database that allowed only 10 enquiries and then you needed to buy a license.

Under VMware, it started out as the first time it ran everytime. LOL After 10 enquiries, just reload the saved VM and enquire again.....

I DID have snadbox for a while, another VM program but it was a pain in the ass.

I get what you are saying, have a virtual program where you can test things without hurting the computer and also have back up points.

Lessons, like most good ones, i am leanring slowly.

I still wonder how safe ANY software is, though i did downloaded a bunch from majorgeeks.com.

Used and installed a few.

Noticed my system slowing down.

Best to have as little running as possible especially in firefox, best to disable most extentions/add ons.

Your results may vary.

OP there are a ton of 'good' anti malware tools at majorgeeks, i do like to beleive most of it is safe.

If only we knew why?

Try Firefox-compatible Palemoon or Cyberfox. I find Palemoon faster than FF--not to startup but to load pages. YMMV.

Thanks for the tip, I have installed Palemoon and it is great