Thai tourism industry leery of 'low-end' Chinese tourists

webfact

Tourism industry leery of 'low-end' Chinese tourists
By Coconuts Bangkok

chinese_0.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Maybe if they spent more money and didn't upset the better-heeled visitors from Europe, Chinese visitors would get some love from the tourism industry.

A proposal to offer free visas to Chinese visitors has been met with resistance from the ground up, with the ever-ebullient Tourism Authority of Thailand even weighing in against the idea.

The authority has publicized results of a "survey" which concluded Chinese arrivals are "low-end" and negatively affect the more profitable tourist-flows from Britain, France and Germany, according to Bangkok Post.

Cutting through the euphemisms, those opposing the idea seem to believe the unpopular guests from China are too cheap and chase away the more predictable guests with deeper pockets. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/06/19/tourism-industry-leery-low-end-chinese-tourists

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-06-19

• Like 2

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No shit? Little late now. You should have done your homework before. Now all the quality high end customers or most of them are gone and will never come back. Try charging the Chinese double for everything. Dosent work does it?.....No repair for this damage accept an exchange rate, may double what it is now.You will have to buy them back..........lol.....wink.png

What do you mean "try charging the Chinese double for everything. Doesnt work does it?" Actually isn't that already happening and expected to happen anyway?

I am not sure what you mean by that or even if I understand your meaning correctly that is what is needed. Low-end Chinese tourists are not appreciated by many in the tourist industry (and even by many who are not in the tourist industry) due to their lack of manners, screaming, spitting everywhere, and general behaviour as if they were still in some small city in Hunan or the backwaters of Yunnan or wherever. Stealing of blankets, pillows etc. from hotels, refusal to tip (although that's because in China no one tips) don't help matters either. As they generally come on pre-purchased package tours, they spend little else after arrival.

It's different for more high-end tourists who spend a ton on shopping, although they typically purchase goods that are sold for less in Thailand than in China, often luxury goods that have nothing to do with Thailand and simply enhance a major retailer's profit margins (think Central or Robinson) rather than the average Somchai on the streets.

I have met quite a few nice Chinese travellers (mainly in Laos and a couple in northern Vietnam though, but OK same thing it could just as well have been in Thailand) and while some of them were low budget, maybe because they were younger, travelling by themselves rather than in a package tour, some of them could speak some English (though I mostly spoke with them in Chinese) and in general acted much like their western counterparts they were respected by those around them from what I could gather. The funniest encounter was with a Chinese backpacker who hitchhiked everywhere he went in Laos, preferring the back of a local goods truck than a bus and sometimes attempting to camp in front of a hotel rather than staying in a room. I was driving in Laos and picked him up and we became good friends. Not surprisingly, he got a job working at a backpacker hostel in Kunming upon his return to China.

• Like 2

Chinese are cheap... and negatively affect other tourists... and chase away...

A news text from the other newspaper says the tourist inducxtry have actively called on the NCPO NOT to issue free visas to Chinese tourists fearing problems for the country if they flock here.

I have posted before that the Phuket Tourist Board has said in the past that many businesses there are totally dependent on the Chinese as they have ' chased ' away all other tourists both domestic and overseas and if the Chinese stop coming these businesses will go under. I wonder how many other areas in LoS could say the same if they were being perfectly honest.

• Like 2

What an completely obnoxious and arrogant OP, we don't want "these types" of tourist because they don't spend enough money.

yes but have you also encountered this attitude in china. $100/day is what is expected else you get the inquisition on reentry. spending this amount of money over months is just ludicrous near the china / loas border regions.

I am sure I read somewhere that The Chinese are the largest group of tourists in Thailand. Surely a better way would be to look at customizing tourism for them while protecting their other segments.

It would be a big potential market to ignore or destroy

• Like 2

Thailand: the final destination; for low end nose picking Chinese, poor classless hippies/students, sex pervs, non native speaking English teachers, drunks, various types of criminals including out right idiots, wannabe bar owners, oldies etc.

Edited by Hawk
  • Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You would hardly call the hordes of Englush.,Aussie,German etc tourists high end either - tourists come hear because it's cheap!

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Correction, they used to come here. Cheap is not what comes to mind these days. Two-tier pricing system, inflation which has rocketed has meant it has become expensive. I can eat (my own food), drink, and rent a place in Europe far cheaper than say Phuket. I also save on Parks which are free in Europe as with many other attractions. Churches are free (if you visit them), in Thailand the Royal Temple you must pay if your a foreigner (Thais not). Taxis in Phuket are the same prices in Europe, and there are many more examples.

If Thailand wants to attract more tourists (evidently they are not), then you must start changing your policies. Fair price restructuring would be a good start rather than penalizing the foreigners with dual-pricing.

Precisely.

The only end at which Thailand has some pricing advantage is the very top end. Some stunning 5 star beaches and resorts that ae cheaper than the rest of the world.

But then the visitor wants to step outside, and steps into what? A monstrous pothole and a mass of women screaming "hey yuuuu".

Hardly 5 star.

Lots of good points but there's another aspect to this.

I use two hotels regularly in Bkk, depends where my work is. Both are 4 star properties. Both have stopped accepting Chinese group tours because it was having a strong negative effect on their overall business.

A British acquaintance owns three X 4 star hotels in Phuket, he also says it's not worth it: damage, upsetting other guests, theft, continuous yelling from one end of the floor to the other end of the floor at all hours, asked to stop but 5 minutes later all starts again, arrive en masse for breakfast and sometimes they commandeer the food warmers, sometimes even take them to their tables, all adding to cost to ensure all guests get the breakfast they are entitled to.

He discovered that on many occasions other guests who had paid for breakfast in the room rate were going outside and at there own additional cost eating at other local restaurants. He had someone from a local Chinese tour agency make some signs which he put in rooms and in the dining room, all totally ignored.

A friend in one of the low cost airlines, in Thailand, also tells me they dread large Chinese tour groups because they refuse to follow safety instructions, upset other passengers with their behaviors, etc.

Not trying to just be negative about Chinese, just raising some wider points. And let's be honest there are plenty of tourists from all countries whose behavior is not all that wonderful.

At last count I think I'd visited China over 70 times so I am well aware.

Just look at the pricing for the groups out of China. Hardly high end. They are pretty demanding and not very worldly or considerate.

Junguo hao

• Like 1

What about the nationalities that brow beat the the street vendor down to save 20 baht on three pairs of cheap socks for 99 baht.!

Or the three I encountered in a thai massage where the price is 100 baht an hour and wanted to pay 50 baht an hour because they were bringing their wives and demanded a group discount .

I remember a few months ago the thai tourist operators protesting about the Chinese and Russians running them out of business.

Well how about getting a reputable tour operator who doesn't steer them into scams to make a commission!

The Chinese who much prefer a Chinese tour guide to one of theirs to avoid the scams that unfortunately is renowned for.

Of cause they are not going to tip if they have been overcharged and ripped off by someone else.