Romantic dinner for non hi-so couple in Bkk?

banglassie

TON-THONG THAI RESTAURANT (www.ton-thongrestaurant.com) off Petchabury Rd. near Klong Tan.

Beautiful garden setting with small ponds and waterfalls. Architecture is traditional Thai country style; individual high sided booths set on many levels...really lovely.

Inch thick menu of Thai specialties, I went there for the first time last week with a friend and his GF who had recommended it. I had lived in the area for years and had never heard of it. I was stunned with how beautiful it was.

The food was all excellent. We ordered a large selection of Thai foods: Plah Manow, Gai Yang, Crispy Pork ribs, several vegetable dishes, rice and fruit drinks. Bill came to just over B1500.

My only complaint is there is a very good female singer who sings old standards accompanied by electronic keyboard. Our booth was too close to the bandstand and it was too loud...we finally asked to move and were cheerfully accommodated.

All in all, a hidden gem that I will visit again.

Sorry, I forgot the name of the road it is on and it is in Thai on the card I got but if you are on Petchabury Rd. going towards Klong Tan (Suk. 71 intersection), there is a Mosque on the left just at the start of the overpass. Take the left just before the mosque and it is about 1/2 km on the right. Most taxi's will know it.

Edited by dddave
  • Like 1

If it's the place I'm thinking of I've been here a couple of times. There's a small row of about 4 or five restaurants. It has a large Karaoke room with singer/band?

The food was cheap, very good BUT incredibly spicy.

I had tears rolling down my face laugh.png

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

If it's the place I'm thinking of I've been here a couple of times. There's a small row of about 4 or five restaurants. It has a large Karaoke room with singer/band?

The food was cheap, very good BUT incredibly spicy.

I had tears rolling down my face laugh.png

RAZZ

I know exactly where he means.

If heading east towards klong tan just before the overpass, its the road on your lh side that you take to go to pra ram 9, the one with the railway tracks on it..

Yes you are correct there are various restaurants there.

If he had taken the overpass and turned left at the next set of traffic lights there is another area just like the one above, the road that has the underpass you take to head to the football stadium.

• Like 2

Two more places I should have mentioned in my original post:

Kin Lom Chom Saphan, 11/6 Samsan soi 3, Phra Nakhorn 02 628 8382

One of my favorites; an outdoor terrace on the banks of the Chao Phraya with a beautiful view of the Rama-8 bridge and river traffic passing by...quite casual but excellent food at reasonable prices...about B500/person. There is often a band playing and there is always a festive atmosphere as many Thai families come here for special celebrations. Weekend nights are always full.

Definitely call in advance to book a riverside table...worth it!!

It's in a tough to find location but most taxi's will know it. Bring the phone number just in case and they will give directions

There is a very similar though somewhat pricier riverside restaurant called "Baan Klang Nam" which also has excellent food. The atmosphere is a bit more formal.

288 Soi 14, Phra Ram 3, Tanon Tok 02 292 0175 Call for reservations and directions

Edited by dddave
  • Like 1

Street food gets my vote over any restaurant any time, but if it must be a restaurant, Cabbages and Condoms, Soi 12 Sukhumvit, is a good place, if a bit touristy these days.

I wouldn't praise street food as being something special when its hard to find a Thai person that has a passion for cooking local foods with some pride.

Two more places I should have mentioned in my original post:

Kin Lom Chom Saphan, 11/6 Samsan soi 3, Phra Nakhorn 02 628 8382

One of my favorites; an outdoor terrace on the banks of the Chao Phraya with a beautiful view of the Rama-8 bridge and river traffic passing by...quite casual but excellent food at reasonable prices...about B500/person. There is often a band playing and there is always a festive atmosphere as many Thai families come here for special celebrations. Weekend nights are always full.

Definitely call in advance to book a riverside table...worth it!!

It's in a tough to find location but most taxi's will know it. Bring the phone number just in case and they will give directions

There is a very similar though somewhat pricier riverside restaurant called "Baan Klang Nam" which also has excellent food. The atmosphere is a bit more formal.

288 Soi 14, Phra Ram 3, Tanon Tok 02 292 0175 Call for reservations and directions

Some of those terrace places around Samsen can catch a bit of a whiff of sewage every now and then though