What's so great about Luang Prabang?

edwardandtubs

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I worked in Luang Prabang last year as interim Headmaster of the new international school.

It was my first visit since 1985, but the town hadn't changed in appearance that much, due to the UNESCO status.

LP is very chilled out, but fairly boring if you're living there.

Plus points for me:

- I bought an off-road motorbike to travel on the mountain trails at the weekend

- I could do my ham radio without hassles, (unlike my previous employment location = Myanmar).

- A cold beer Lao down by the river

- Lao food

- Best hookers in Laos (if u know where to look...)

It is an OK place to visit, but you would go mad with boredom if you had to live there, (unless you are 110 years old).

I was glad when my job was completed :)

"Feeding" the monks is actually the thing I hate most about LP, it is like a zoo.

I agree, the Monks don't even want to do it but the Government said that its a tourist attraction and if the monks won't do it they will dress people up as monks to do it.

There were also reports of some unethical Laoations selling sub standard food to the tourists to give to the monks.

If you do visit Luang Prabang be sure to spent a few days in Vang Vieng as its located in the most stunning scenery and has plenty of outdoor activites & places to visit.

I have been there twice and the charm of the city still draws me back, you could try to rush thru it like a tourist packed bus or you could do it really slow

I recommend no more than a week combined with a few side trips ...there are some places in the world where you go there just to rest and not have to tick off a guidebook worth of tourist attractions ...Luang Prabang is one of those

Step back into time, slow your breathing down and have a book next to the river and enjoy

The other place I like are the temples ...this one depicted the tree if life and the tapestry on it was amazing detailed post-160540-14066676853186_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPod touch using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1