Uruguay 2 England 1

Jonathan Fairfield

Uruguay 2 England 1

000_DV1775197.jpg

Luis Suarez made a sensational return to action by scoring a brace to lift Uruguay past England with a 2-1 victory at the World Cup in Sao Paulo on Thursday.

The victory resurrects Uruguay's last 16 hopes following the 3-1 defeat to Costa Rica in their Group D opener.

England, for whom Wayne Rooney scored his first World Cup goal, are now on the brink of World Cup elimination with two defeats out of two.

Including their 4-1 defeat to Germany at the last tournament, it's the first time England have lost three World Cup games in a row.

Unsurprisingly given both sides knew a defeat would all but end their hopes of reaching the knock-out stages, this game took its time to catch fire after a nervous opening.

Rooney headed a Steven Gerrard cross against the woodwork from point blank range after dipping a free-kick just past the upright, while at the other end Cristian Rodriguez flashed a sizzling drive just over the bar.

Cavani created the opener on 39 minutes despite being crowded by England players, looking up and spotting Suarez peeling off behind Phil Jagielka to head home.

For a moment England were on the rocks but in the second half they gradually turned up the heat.

Rooney had a shot from 12 yards saved by Fernando Muslera, who also denied Daniel Sturridge.

But he could do nothing when Sturridge played in Glen Johnson to cross for Rooney to tap home into an empty net at the back post 15 minutes from the end.

Yet Suarez had the last laugh five minutes from time, gambling to latch onto a flick on and thrash the ball high past Joe Hart in the England goal.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-06-20

Bummer that England can't seem to get it together for the World Cup. So much talent

that they could lift the World Cup to even more exciting level of play but alas, another

disappointment.

Bummer that England can't seem to get it together for the World Cup. So much talent

that they could lift the World Cup to even more exciting level of play but alas, another

disappointment.

The youngsters looked good though, so next time out IMO they will be a force to be reckoned with.

So much talent that they could lift the World Cup---AfterLOS

I suppose a good measure of talent--(or lack of it) would be how many world class foreign clubs chase English Players......we certainly chase them, many of our top teams have more foreign Players then English.

So there's Bale...... oh sorry he's Welsh ...... so real talented English Players playing for top European Clubs,,,,,that will be none then.

• Like 1

If England don't start making the player pool available for the national coach, much bigger, you will never really be a force.

Always an "almost there team".

The 20 previous coaches already said that, and you keep importing foreigners.

lol

If England don't start making the player pool available for the national coach, much bigger, you will never really be a force.

Always an "almost there team".

The 20 previous coaches already said that, and you keep importing foreigners.

lol

England....$h1t at football..

...but very good at marketing.

Once you are out in the real world, you are always getting pummeled.

The horrible truth guys.

And you are from which highly successful country?

The point made is that England allows too many foreigners to play in the premier league, attracted by the money. You won't find such a high % in other countries.

Time to revisit - and maybe look at the ridiculous salaries that turn some of these so called super stars into experts on everything, apart from being able to play.

Defence is the worst back 4 I have seen since Keegan took a load of old lags to euro 2000. Though in their defence, those old lags did once have the ability to play a bit. Baines-Cahill-jagielka-Johnson is a Everton type back 4. Serviceable in the PL but at the highest level they are what they are, sub par. None of those are elite level

Also Hodgson, now I do see he has tried to play it a different way this time. But it's not his game. Him trying to add fluidity to his rigidity is like Camilla Windsor putting on a Louis Vuitton frock. Or lipstick on a pig

Just depresses me that there are seemingly no other alternatives to do the job.

What is the population in England?

or

How many play active football (total on all levels)?

How many players do the coach have to choose from (upper level)?

It is not even a pool, it is a bath tub.

Even Australia had players with higher pace and better technique.

If Suarez is truly World class or not remains to be seen (and it looks like he will get the opportunity to prove that he is).

What has been demonstrated is that England's football is not world class, or at least it is near the bottom of the class....

• Like 1

Spain's 'golden era' appears to be over but it was based on a predominance of Spanish players leading Spanish teams to success in international club competition. However, the window of player maturity, national league and international club competition success needs to overlap with the 4-year circus that is the World Cup. Although there are a few notable exceptions, a good player may get 2 or 3 bites at that apple at best.

Looking at England's club competition where owners are only interested in revenue and would rather have foreigners lead them to club glory and apart from isolated events, mostly disappoint at international club competition level. The makeup of the latest England team to underwhelm the world does indicate the end of the 'old guard' with Gerrard past his peak, Terry sidelined, Ferdinand not even making the plane. Some exciting young players in there with stamina, speed and agility... and a total lack of any real experience outwith the EPL which is full of flashy foreigners that for the most part, didn't get selected for their own national teams.

Rooney got his first World Cup goal in three attempts so that monkey is off his back. But the fawning press are suddenly pretty unanimous in saying that he's a good player but never will be a great. However, if he had managed to slot away just two of his other three chances, he would be the hero reborn, the great white hope for mother England and Hodgson's poor choice would have been vindicated. How fickle is that?

Germany looks like assuming the mantle from Spain, having at least 3 teams with formidable, home grown talent that have already established fear and respect in European club competition.

For the England fans? How does it feel to be like a Scottish fan?

• Like 2

If Suarez is truly World class or not remains to be seen (and it looks like he will get the opportunity to prove that he is).

What has been demonstrated is that England's football is not world class, or at least it is near the bottom of the class....

This must be a Troll post, right?

wink.png

I hate Suarez' guts, I think he is a <deleted> moron, but surely he is a world class striker.

I prefer the term "thought provoking"... tongue.png

so far, I'm happy with all results in the world cup, all the PIIGS got their deserved results.

just waiting for Japan to win right now...

PIGS???? WITH wrong spelling too. how can anyboy treat you serious, when you cannot spell a 4 letter word, unless you are 3 years old, then we forgive you.

Defence is the worst back 4 I have seen since Keegan took a load of old lags to euro 2000. Though in their defence, those old lags did once have the ability to play a bit. Baines-Cahill-jagielka-Johnson is a Everton type back 4. Serviceable in the PL but at the highest level they are what they are, sub par. None of those are elite level

Also Hodgson, now I do see he has tried to play it a different way this time. But it's not his game. Him trying to add fluidity to his rigidity is like Camilla Windsor putting on a Louis Vuitton frock. Or lipstick on a pig

Uruguay ranked 7th in the world

Italy 9th

England 10th

2 tight/ tough games, but i thought the other teams showed more will to win,and defence better.We didnt play as a team and the back 4 is woeful, compared to other top 10 ranking countries.

No need for doom and gloom, we were never going to get out the group of death

• Like 1

Uruguay ranked 7th in the world

Italy 9th

England 10th

2 tight/ tough games, but i thought the other teams showed more will to win,and defence better.We didnt play as a team and the back 4 is woeful, compared to other top 10 ranking countries.

No need for doom and gloom, we were never going to get out the group of death

I think Italy are a good well organised outfit with a solid mentality.

Uruguay I think Suarez and to a slightly lesser extent Cavani polish some ropey team mates. But in Suarez their best player is a level or two above our own versions. I think their ranking is inflated by the achievements of a younger, better side a few years back. We needed to get something from that and we couldn't do it

Agree on the defending. Most of those fellas would be nowhere near the squad 10 years ago. Cahill might be a bench option, rest would be on the beach. Not up to standard

2 terrific finishes from Suarez turned the game for Uruguay. They were lucky the ref bottled it when he should have sent off the defender who took Sturridge out late in the 1st half when he was already on a yellow card.

• Like 1

I feel sorry for English fans who were disappointed with the outcome. I personally didn't pass England from groups on my bet. England has a weakness playing with Latin- American or southern European teams for a long time, so I didn't see any surprises here. Wish you good luck next time and I agree with the comments that say English premier league is full of foreign players without giving a chance in promoting local English players. That's true!

so far, I'm happy with all results in the world cup, all the PIIGS got their deserved results.

PIGS???? WITH wrong spelling too. how can anyboy treat you serious, when you cannot spell a 4 letter word, unless you are 3 years old, then we forgive you.

555 you think I am a compleat idiot and can't spell ?

Nothing wrong with my spelling, best to google it...

But Ireland aren't in it. So maybe it should be PIGS biggrin.png

But Ireland aren't in it. So maybe it should be PIGS biggrin.png

Fair enough!

BTW, Ghana tonight was just WOW, hat off.