Thai food the best in the world?

Grateful farang

On 10/18/2022 at 5:22 PM, spidermike007 said:

It is the only food in the world I can eat nearly every day, without getting sick of. I love Japanese and Italian. I could not even eat it 3 days in a week. Same applies to Chinese, Vietnamese and Indian. Good Thai food is sublime. 

For me that would be Chinese. I find Thai boring in comparison. China offers an amazing breadth of regional variations. If you're talking about what most westerners thing of as Chinese standards, well that's about one percent of it.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

On 6/20/2014 at 12:43 AM, AYJAYDEE said:

i judge food by how it tastes, not which national label it goes by

Can not dismiss quality food world wide, but I have to say Thailand is one of the few countries I have been to, where I can travel all over and find a decent local cheap restaurant, and I will most likely enjoy some few of their dishes on the menu. 

Never been to Iran but those Persian reataurants I have come by world wide, and especially Malaysia and Dubai, have given me a very positive impression. Very pure, tasty and delicious. I also enjoy home coocked norwegian food, especially fresh seafood catch by myself, or raindeer, moose, deer, lamb and our own slow grown vegetables of course ecological grown. But the norwegian restaurants, gets my thumbs down unfortunate. To few expensive restaurants, really deliver what they should and what I expect them to deliver. 

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

For me that would be Chinese. I find Thai boring in comparison. China offers an amazing breadth of regional variations. If you're talking about what most westerners thing of as Chinese standards, well that's about one percent of it.

I enjoyed Chongqing kitchen, spicey and pure

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, Hummin said:

I enjoyed Chongqing kitchen, spicey and pure

Yes, I know and love that food, but are you referring to a specific restaurant? 

14 Essential Sichuan Eats (Beyond Hot Pot) in Chengdu and Chongqing (seriouseats.com)

Though Chongqing Province and the city of Chongqing itself are no longer part of Sichuan Province (they split in the '90s), they share a culinary and cultural backbone. It's a foundation built on the slow, smoldering burn of dried chiles, the pungent bite of raw garlic, and mouth-numbing handfuls of citrus-scented Sichuan peppercorns, all balanced with dashes of black vinegar and more peanuts than you ever thought you could eat.

I travelled Chengdu and Chongqing for a project we had, so had a month total spread out in the city and country side. Absolutely adored the country side as well, hitting the restaurants who run out after your order and pick what they needed from the marked. Or the morning ambulant street kitchens. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I do not eat beef, pork or lamb. So, that eliminates most Chinese dishes. Not the case with Thai cuisine. 

• Like 1

Definitely not in my opinion.

Very unhealthy.  Lots of sugar, fat, oil, salt.

Vegetables and fruit usually covered in pesticide. 

Home cooked Thai food is healthier as you can control the ingredients.  My wife still uses tons of sugar and MSG in her cooking.