Thai food the best in the world?

Grateful farang

@haley sabai

Good speech!

I agree with you

Also how can anyone truely appreciate the subtleties and piquant flavour of thai cuisine

When they are drunk and have a cigarette hanging out of their mouth!

The image of the westerner is a drinking, smoking

Spendthrift.

First time I went to thailand the hotel staff must of thought me very odd.

I was training every other day, didnt drink or smoke.

The hotel staff found me amusing.

I dont smoke so I can taste more than chilli and heat.

I hate celery but the thais cook it and it taste very nice in chicken dishes.

Also in london the thai restaurant I frequent is never empty.

Even the delivery guy on the moped said he has to eat this food everyday.

Most people never eat from the food establishments they work for!

Thai cuisine forever; hamburger and fries never!

!

Bonefish I accept your comments and I too would be worried if all my wife's relatives had died from a young age of liver cancer. But I would still have an enquiring mind. For example are you so sure however, the causation solely falls on the shoulders of the fermented and/or undercooked fish, rather than fluke contaminated drinking water or high levels of alcohol consumption in some sectors of Thai community?

If reason for liver cancer and flukes is from poor sanitation, so it follows where you have poor sanitary provisions, you'll likewise have risks from poor quality non-mains drinking water supplies in rural areas. I would hope, that there comes a time when there is widespread fluke screening for infection in high incident areas. If Thai authorities cannot afford this, why do not international aid Agency's step-in?

And no, there is no ulterior motive, other than an enquiring mind. My wife stocks jars of commercial pickled Gouramy fish. Would you say these commercial supplies are treated to kill the parasites before being distributed? I'm glad you cook at home, a good choice.

!

Bonefish I accept your comments and I too would be worried if all my wife's relatives had died from a young age of liver cancer. But I would still have an enquiring mind. For example are you so sure however, the causation solely falls on the shoulders of the fermented and/or undercooked fish, rather than fluke contaminated drinking water or high levels of alcohol consumption in some sectors of Thai community?

If reason for liver cancer and flukes is from poor sanitation, so it follows where you have poor sanitary provisions, you'll likewise have risks from poor quality non-mains drinking water supplies in rural areas. I would hope, that there comes a time when there is widespread fluke screening for infection in high incident areas. If Thai authorities cannot afford this, why do not international aid Agency's step-in?

And no, there is no ulterior motive, other than an enquiring mind. My wife stocks jars of commercial pickled Gouramy fish. Would you say these commercial supplies are treated to kill the parasites before being distributed? I'm glad you cook at home, a good choice.

Somtamme, please check the following link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/26/world/asia/26iht-thailand.html?_r=0

It gives a fairly good overview of the situation regarding liver flukes and uncooked fermented freshwater fish in Thailand.

Also a Google search for "Liver fluke Thailand" will come up with many publications regarding this subject.

!

Somtamme, please check the following link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/26/world/asia/26iht-thailand.html?_r=0

It gives a fairly good overview of the situation regarding liver flukes and uncooked fermented freshwater fish in Thailand.

Also a Google search for "Liver fluke Thailand" will come up with many publications regarding this subject.

Thanks @Bonefish, even though it's tasty I won't be eating 'ba-lah' (bplaa-raa) ever again. It takes 6 months of fermentation to kill the flukes.

!

Being involved in hospitality, opinions are like A$$holes, everybody has one

The cause of thebcancer may be this particular fish however there is like 100 other possibilities so definitely saying it's fish is a bit silly

How many internet reviews so you see with people saying "I got food poisoning from this restaurant, I was feeling sick by the end of the meal and I know it was the medium rare steak, rare meat gives me food poisoning! "

Newsflash! Food poisoning occurs anywhere between 8-36 hours after the meal, there is no way you could get food poisonibg during the meal,

Maybe the food was laced with some kind of cyanide?? Then chances are youd be dead, and chances are every other person who ate the same steak from the same batch would get sick on the spot

Unless its the only thing you ate in the last 48 hours you can only narrow it down slightly

!

The cause of thebcancer may be this particular fish however there is like 100 other possibilities so definitely saying it's fish is a bit silly

How many internet reviews so you see with people saying "I got food poisoning from this restaurant, I was feeling sick by the end of the meal and I know it was the medium rare steak, rare meat gives me food poisoning! "

Newsflash! Food poisoning occurs anywhere between 8-36 hours after the meal, there is no way you could get food poisonibg during the meal,

Maybe the food was laced with some kind of cyanide?? Then chances are youd be dead, and chances are every other person who ate the same steak from the same batch would get sick on the spot

Unless its the only thing you ate in the last 48 hours you can only narrow it down slightly

Staphylococcus aureus Staphylococcal food poisoning 1-6 hours Sudden onset of severe nausea and vomiting. Abdominal cramps. Diarrhea and fever may be present. 24-48 hours Unrefrigerated or improperly refrigerated meats, potato and egg salads, cream pastries

http://www.fda.gov/food/resourcesforyou/consumers/ucm103263.htm

Seems you can if you are not a fast eater.

!

Yes there might be 100 possible causes but we only have anecdotal evidence to go on so until proven otherwise I'll be avoiding it.

Agreed about food poisoning though, but as I understood food poisoning can have incubation period of up to a few days with a peak around 48 hours. In hospitality too and been accused a few times over the last 10 years - usually people got sick overnight and as you say thought it was from their last meal. Council health inspector comes and takes curry samples for the lab, but always negative. Once they understand about the incubation period they attribute it to some other source.

!

Staphylococcus aureus Staphylococcal food poisoning 1-6 hours Sudden onset of severe nausea and vomiting. Abdominal cramps. Diarrhea and fever may be present. 24-48 hours Unrefrigerated or improperly refrigerated meats, potato and egg salads, cream pastries

That's one strain out of the 15 or so mentioned on the fda website, plus it's more the uncommon one!!

!

Yes there might be 100 possible causes but we only have anecdotal evidence to go on so until proven otherwise I'll be avoiding it.

Agreed about food poisoning though, but as I understood food poisoning can have incubation period of up to a few days with a peak around 48 hours. In hospitality too and been accused a few times over the last 10 years - usually people got sick overnight and as you say thought it was from their last meal. Council health inspector comes and takes curry samples for the lab, but always negative. Once they understand about the incubation period they attribute it to some other source.

At least those people wait overnight, I've seen many a people scream black and blue during the meal that everything they touch is laced with poison because the customer didn't like the taste of a particular dish and immediately felt nauseaous

The comments regarding other forms of infection are not relevant here.

The issue is eating food like som tam pla-ra, a favourite of both my wife and mine. The control would appear to freeze the pickled fish if quality from manufacturer cannot be assured. Cooking the pla-ra will also work, but I guess it would affect the taste.

!

That's one strain out of the 15 or so mentioned on the fda website, plus it's more the uncommon one!!

Yeah that's Staph Aureus - otherwise known as Golden Staph and in its antibiotic resistant form as MRSA. Nasty bug that one, and not that common in food poisoning.

Thai food is delicious, but if you go to most restaurants and slip behind the counter to the dirty cooking areas which are disheveled messes of piled up plates and unsanitary conditions, stagnant water in tubs and dirt and grime everywhere, you will recoil in revulsion at this "delicious" source of tourist food. I'm referring to most of the street vendors, and in many seemingly respectable restaurants. If Thailand wants to become a "world class" country, there needs to be a uniform health and safety commission to regularly inspect every restaurant, especially in tourist areas, for health and safety standards.

Edited by me313
  • Like 1

@me313

True!!! But all eating establishments are the same

Every country in the world.

Food is just business for money

Does a brick layer care about everyone of his bricks?

When residing in the uk I eat 99% at home

I cook in a clean enviroment.

But when in thailand I have to eat out.

Like in the uk last we they anounced on tv stop washing your chicken before you cook it.

The uk health authorities believe when its cooking the salmonella and listetia bugs will be killed so dont wash it! ( personally I dont trust these people anymore, cancer, dimentia and diabetis agents)

So people started to ring the radio show

A top chef rang up; when asked if he washes the chicken before he cooks it? He pompously replied of course I do not.

Apparently 2/3 of uk chefs dont wash the chicken before cooking it. (dirty! Filthy! Disgusting!)

So now not washing chicken will become law.

Then all of a sudden people will be sick, falling down dead everywhere.

Superbugs emerging apparently from nowhere

Then the government will act like they dont know why. Satanic demons!

I've never been sick eating in thailand and love the street vendours!

Partly because we can see the whole cooking operation.

Laa gon

@me313

True!!! But all eating establishments are the same

Every country in the world.

Food is just business for money

Does a brick layer care about everyone of his bricks?

When residing in the uk I eat 99% at home

I cook in a clean enviroment.

But when in thailand I have to eat out.

Like in the uk last we they anounced on tv stop washing your chicken before you cook it.

The uk health authorities believe when its cooking the salmonella and listetia bugs will be killed so dont wash it! ( personally I dont trust these people anymore, cancer, dimentia and diabetis agents)

So people started to ring the radio show

A top chef rang up; when asked if he washes the chicken before he cooks it? He pompously replied of course I do not.

Apparently 2/3 of uk chefs dont wash the chicken before cooking it. (dirty! Filthy! Disgusting!)

So now not washing chicken will become law.

Then all of a sudden people will be sick, falling down dead everywhere.

Superbugs emerging apparently from nowhere

Then the government will act like they dont know why. Satanic demons!

I've never been sick eating in thailand and love the street vendours!

Partly because we can see the whole cooking operation.

Laa gon

So do you wash your chicken? Do you wash your minced beef? Do you wash your salami or your sausages? Rinsing your meat with a bit of water does nothing. Cooking kills all the bugs, and not keeping food sitting around at 5-60 deg C where bugs can proliferate. Superbugs are caused by oversubscribing and overuse and incomplete courses of antibiotics, not lack of rinsing food with a bit of water.

Me too never ever been sick in Thailand and I eat anything and everything. My only rule, derived from experience, is never eat in an empty restaurant.

• Like 1

@shadm063

Thanks for your reply

No I never wash minced beef coz I dont eat minced beef, lol!

But i've seen people washing minced beef.

It all comes down to basic hygiene and trust

I could never take meat or poultry out of packaging and not wash it before I put it in a pot, pan, oven to cook.

Trust

I dont trust these uk food industry to give me good advice

They used to give dead cows for live cows to eat

Then we had the b.s.e madcow disease problem and all the other food health problems.

They are only interested in saving money.

They can feed us anything including dead people.

Last year princess anne said we have to start eating horse meat.

Are these horses farmed and grown for human consumption or horses that are put out of their misery at different horse racing meetings and show jumping events?

You need to lighten up mate....the advice regarding an empty restaurant is the best you will get here.

Oh and I've never washed a chicken either and am still here....never eaten one with pink meat either....common sense required at all times not more dumb regulations.

Edited by smokie36
  • Like 1

@smokie36

Thanks for your reply.

Yes common sense is indeed needed.

But suppose the people we trust are not our friends?

Suppose the people who give advice wish us harm?

All I hear in the uk is by 2020 47% of the population will have cancer.(whats 47% of 65 million?)

By 2020 5 million people will have diabetis (thats actually on the news today)

By 2020 35% of the population will have dimentia.

I never hear what "they" are doing to prevent these calamities.

Then there was a report about giant rats that will swamp the uk this year.

Then by some miracle I read on big brother tv show, giant rats invaded the house!

Coincidence or deliberate?

@smokie36

Thanks for your reply.

All I hear in the uk is by 2020 47% of the population will have cancer.(whats 47% of 65 million?)

Then by some miracle I read on big brother tv show, giant rats invaded the house!

I* think you need to review your sources of information.......better still review tour entire outlook on life.

Washing chickens.

the advice not to wash your chickens is longstanding. The U.S. Department of Agriculture has been cautioning against the practice for many years, and food safety experts widely agree it's a bad idea, because it raises the risk of spreading dangerous bacteria found on raw poultry all over your kitchen. As we told you before, food safety researchers say cooking your bird until it reaches an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees is the only thing you have to do to kill the bacteria found on raw birds.

Washing chickens.

the advice not to wash your chickens is longstanding. The U.S. Department of Agriculture has been cautioning against the practice for many years, and food safety experts widely agree it's a bad idea, because it raises the risk of spreading dangerous bacteria found on raw poultry all over your kitchen. As we told you before, food safety researchers say cooking your bird until it reaches an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees is the only thing you have to do to kill the bacteria found on raw birds.

@wilcopops

My source of information is the british media

They tell us these things but the ordinary innocent people dont understand or really know how to process the information they hear and read.

Like over and over we have been told for the ladt 3 years that there will be power outages in the uk.

British people are utterly unable to process this information.

We in the uk will start getting power cuts in 2015.

Probably after the 2015 elections the country is really going to be hit by "austerity"

Under the unesco treaty we in western europe are going back into the dark ages under this "green" agenda.

Agenda 21

But you'll read this and probably just call me a nut.

Take my advice, buy some candles.

Have you got your new smart meter yet mate? Lol!

@wilcopops

The u.s department of agriculture???

I wouldnt trust them!

What about the chemicals found in the plastic wrap the chickens come in, isnt it a good idea to rinse off those chemicals?

The usa has a huge obesity problem!

Caused by organisations like the department of agriculture.

What about gm food and hormone injected cattle.

The cattle get unatrually big and the people who eat the meat get grotesquecally big too.

Monsanto corn and fructose corn syrup.

The corn is sprayed with mercury to kill the bugs.

Then when humans eat the corn we get organ problems?

Thai food?

The old saying is that you will eat a peck of dirt before you die, but surely not in one day??

I avoid thai food at all costs, im even loathe to eat fresh fruit and veg from the market, because of the overuse of chemicals, but i do, ive got to eat,!!

Years ago, on a visit to a thai resturant, i needed a pee, the toilet was in the middle of the kitchen and it stank, it was a stand and deliver with no cleaning things, on the way back to the table i cancelled the order and we left, now if we go out, i have a home cooked meal first, the Mrs is ok, like most Thais, she has a bovine stomach,

@lickey

Bovine stomach, lol!

You sound very bitter; like you hate everything about the country.

When people love money too much they can cut any corner to get that money.

Also they never want to spend on the business but just make huge profits.

Like a hotel i stayed in.

When I paid them 7000 baht in advance for my stay they the women were fine.

But ask them for anything you wonna see the horrible look on their face.

They didnt even have a kettle in the room.

Also at a money exchange place a young girl tried to rob me of 200 baht! (probably thought let this farang pay for my new shoes)

I cursed her in thai language she was shocked but

Had a little smerk on her greedy bitch face

Laa gon

@smokie36

Thanks for your reply.

I've watched the proliferation of Dominos pizza places and takeaway joints of every description invade the UK.

Also the huge use of ready meal rubbish in supermarkets.

Yes its disgusting stuff I agree.

But I've also witnessed the introduction of Farmers Markets all over the country selling good quality food to people who are careful about what they put in their mouths.

All in all I see more choice...not less happily.

@smokey36

Fast food outlet?

Personally I dont believe the story about giant rats because they are eating lots of fast food.

I believe "they" specially breed them in the laboritory and then unleash them on the public.

I know it sounds crazy but thats just what I believe.

All of a sudden uk citzens can no longer afford food, or to heat our homes, or to put petrol in our cars, or to afford to buy a house, all of a sudden they are closing down maternity wards, all of a sudden police officers are not needed anymore, fire stations are being closed down, midwives will soon start doing abortions???, all of a sudden we will have power outages, all of a sudden the school leaving age has gone to 18 years old,

The passport fiasco? Seems like they are doing everything they can to keep uk citzens from leaving the country, are we prisoners or something? People cant get their passports, channel tunnel closed down, then they started a campaign for holidaying in the uk.(coincidense?)

Sorry for the rant!