No problems encountered on first day of checkpoints against bad taxi behavior: Bangkok

webfact

I have never had a taxi use a meter from the taxi stand. They always tell me no meters for trips out of Bangkok. My 1 hour journey costs 700bt + tolls; i have never had any cause for complaints.

i have never taken a taxi from the airport but for me they always use the meter no matter where i take the taxi, including sukhumvit. even the taxis that i've hailed at khaosan road use the meter. but i've never tried to speak a word of english and i dress normally (normally for thais)

I have also like a few others never had a problem with this but I suspect I am not the targeted tourist customer as I generally know where I am going and how much it costs.

Occasionally when I pick up visitors to they airport I have to block a few limo touts. As the taxi rank is on a different level from arrivals it creates opportunity for touts.

Clear information including pricing information may be a better cure than anything else here, I did also notice that in Chang Mai they now do fixed price to downtown, it is a bit of an inflated price but you know exactly what you are getting.

Touts at many airports around the world and difficult to police. And yes, they are annoying.

When they ask me, I find a direct look in their eye, a smile on your face and a firm and clear "mai ow krab, khop kun krab" is the best solution.wai.gif

I'll remember that the next time I'm at Heathrow or LAX

Pleeaaaase, NCPO, come to KohChang and KohSamui, loads of Mafia here, much work to do (KohChang: 4km Songthaeuw-ride with 5 pax.: 2500 (!) Baht - (500 Baht p. person)). Please help us tourists out here!

Depending on how many of you there are, hire a motorbike about 200bt a day.That's what we done earlier this year, or a car for around 1000bt a day. Songthaew, on route 50bt each. This was Samui.

Sorry Jack they saw you coming.

jb1

Edited by jimbeam1

Guess I've been one of the lucky ones. Very, very lucky few I guess. I fly in and out of Swampy almost on a monthly basis, and have been doing so since 2008. Every time I just go to the counter, tell the clerk where I want to go, and the next cab driver in line collects the coupon, leads me to his cab and that's it. Only ONCE, and really... it happened only ONCE, did a cab driver tried to ask me to pay a flat fare once we were on the way. I said no, told him to stop, he said we are on the expressway already and I said never mind I'll walk back to the airport if I had to (and I would if he had stopped) and he relented and turned on the meter. Some drivers were quite unpleasant (like they were forced to do the job, grumbling all the way etc.), while others are just genuinely nice. By and large, it has been trouble-free for me and I have personally never seen a cab driver choosing his passenger, at least none that I can personally see.

Edited by outsider
  • Like 1

Been coming to Thailand regularly for the last 15 years and never had a problem with taxis at either airport I just ask for meter if they say no I just go to the next one and always come into town with the meter but I always pay the tolls.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I have never had a taxi use a meter from the taxi stand. They always tell me no meters for trips out of Bangkok. My 1 hour journey costs 700bt + tolls; i have never had any cause for complaints.

You are very smart, we know that well, but an "1 hour journey" 's price is around 200 - 230 B. But you are satisfied, and this is pretty good.

The driver once left the meter running to check the fare; it was 400bt. But, I don't complain about the extra charge because the driver does not have a return fare.

Been coming to Thailand regularly for the last 15 years and never had a problem with taxis at either airport I just ask for meter if they say no I just go to the next one and always come into town with the meter but I always pay the tolls.

They aren't allowed to say no - by having to take another taxi you HAVE had a problem with taxis: it might not be a huge inconvenience, but it's still a problem nontheless.

I can never get them to use the meter when going to Pattaya from Bkk, they usually charge 1200 baht. Compared to the Australian price for a taxi its cheap as chips so I don't mind to much. Around Bkk and from bkk to the airport I always insist on a meter though.

Can't see a problem I arrived at swampy this morning 11am went to the 4 th floor walked outside grabbed a taxi off meter 350 baht to Asoke with tolls . The driver was great chatted all the way and picking me up tomorrow to go back to the airport same price . After going the exact same distance from Joondalup to the international airport in Perth and on the meter for 2,700 baht plus the driver couldn't speak English it does put things into perspective .

I land at swampy I go down to the first floor I walk over to the taxi queue the lady asks me where am I going how many are travelling I get in the taxi and get to my destination.

Never had a problem even when I have a few travelling with me with golf clubs a suitable vehicle is always found.

No problems at anytime as a matter of fact I find the system terrific.

Agreed. Why fix what ain't broke? Are there no real problems needing attention?

I don't use taxis as a rule because of the drivers attitudes, however to do a comparative perspective on swamppee thing. Has anybody arrived in Manila recently? Because that place used to be terrifying to arrive at. Female passengers in Vietnam are at a substantial risk of being sexually assaulted by drivers. A few years ago there was stories of Brit tourists being robbed at gun point in Miami by taxi drivers. A mate of mine was robbed at gun point in Birgmingham U.K airport. Not to condone the lousy rip off behavior of drivers here but it seems to be same in quite a few other places.

What is the basis of your statement about female risks in Vietnam taxis and which city are you talking about? Please substantiate or retract.

I land at swampy I go down to the first floor I walk over to the taxi queue the lady asks me where am I going how many are travelling I get in the taxi and get to my destination.

Never had a problem even when I have a few travelling with me with golf clubs a suitable vehicle is always found.

No problems at anytime as a matter of fact I find the system terrific.

Agreed. Why fix what ain't broke? Are there no real problems needing attention?

I'm with you guys from the customer side. I like the system at Swampy.

But I think the drivers go through all kinds of shenanigans from the guys controlling how they're let into the bullpen. There's a parking lot a few km off the airport where I have seen what look like hundreds of taxis lined up waiting their turn to get released into the airport pickup zone. I think control of the movement in that lot is the root of the problem the army is trying to address. It's transparent to us, but I imagine it takes its toll on hard working taxi drivers.

If a little "enforcement" can improve the quality of their lives by keeping them from having to pay up or sit for extra hours, I'm all for the fix.

Edited by impulse

I flagged down a taxi near Phloen Chit by Lumphini park and (asked in Thai) to go to Pantip Plaza, we wanted 500฿ for a 50฿ trip. I said no thanks and walked to flag down another, he backed up, presumably to make me a better offer but I ignored him. When I left Siam Paragon the taxi maître d' gave me a feedback slip to report drivers who don't use the meter.

It seems like they're trying to clean up the taxi service here.

• Like 1

Army and Police please go to Soi 11 Sukhumvit and shut down the TAXI...TUK TUK MAFIAS.

I'm sure many Thai visa posters would happily volunteer to be used as shills to catch them.

Edited by IAMSOBAD

an one hour trip in traffic maybe, but you wane say with a meter taxi you could get to Pattaya for 550 bath?? wake up......

At present the ladies at the taxi stand in Swampy (you know, the ones with the huge welcoming smiles...tongue.png ) annouce a flat, non negotiable 1500 for Pattaya (including toll, wich is only 60 baht anyway) and that's overpriced, especially when you end up in a rickety smelly dirty sticky car, of which there are plenty. If you observe what goes on from there you'll see your driver discreetly slipping a 100 baht note in the greasy palm of a, how shall we call him... 'supervisor'.

I'd say that 1500 is too much for a 1h30' (and 125 km) trip, but then 550 would be ridiculously low considering the price of LPG.

Also, once in Pattaya, taxis don't have much of a problem finding a customer going back towards Bangkok, unless it's a very unusual time, although they don't get much money from that return fare because of the local taxi mafia and they sometimes have to wait for quite a while (but it's the same in Swampy).

I feel that 1000-1200 (including toll) would be fair for both passenger and driver. What do you guys think ?

Edited by Yann55
  • Like 1

message for BARNEY R so you came through from level 4 today ? so what about the barriers running the length of the arrivals and the swinging gates are they still there, ?? and how did you get past them ?? thanks KC

message for BARNEY R so you came through from level 4 today ? so what about the barriers running the length of the arrivals and the swinging gates are they still there, ?? and how did you get past them ?? thanks KC

Unless you are on the large side, you can pass the barriers very easily.

Your friendly taxi driver will even come and hold it in the right position to make it as easy as possible :)

No dramas

I've lived in Bangkok (Silom) for nearly 10 years.....A few times they quote a price as we are leaving airport and try not to use the meter. I just tell them I'm not a tourist and turn on the meter. Once earlier this year I could tell the meter was running too fast because it changed before we left the airport....when I got home the meter was 100 B too high...I gave him choice to accept normal fare or I would report him (which I should have done anyway)- He accepted the normal fare.

I never saw any trace of the mafia problem but maybe this would be visible to only those traveling outside of Bangkok.

To everyone in this post: The problem is, us who live here know the rules and how not to get ripped off, when the taxi drivers, within a few seconds, smell a newbie, shit happens...

Easy just pulled the swinging gate back a little and walked straight through . No one seemed to care .

I arrived at swampy Friday morning, taxi counter downstairs wanted 1500bt flat rate to Pattaya. I declined and walked away, they tried calling le back to negotiate but I ignored them.

So I went to the taxi drop-off at departures, 1000bt plus tolls. I handed over 1200bt to the polite driver upon arrival.

Not always that simple, on two previous occasions this year the taxi handed me over to an unmarked car for 1200bt trip to Pattaya. I prefer taximeter cabs but am willing to risk these 'black' cabs.

Another taxi at departures started saying "Pattaya district, Bangkok" once on slip road leaving airport. I ended up paying 1200bt as usual but the hassle is wearing.

I hate taking taxis but bite the bullet when the next bus to Jomtien is too long to wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

They are cracking down on the wrong group. I have rarely had issues with taxis in Bangkok. Now, in Samui and Phuket, that is a different matter. Even Pattaya. But not Bangkok. Samui needs the most help. The taxi situation in Samui is completely out of control. They charge 100-200 baht for a 1 km. trip. They are super rich as a result. Ridiculous behavior, and shame on the authorities for not even making an effort to do anything.