Thai Post mysteriously loses 42,800 lottery tickets

webfact

Thai Post mysteriously loses 42,800 lottery tickets
By Coconuts Bangkok

lotterytickets_0.jpg?itok=SDr_MKwb

BANGKOK: -- Thai Post already has a sub-wonderful reputation for damaging, throwing, folding and smashing packages into the worst condition, but this time eyebrows are on the rise over 42,800 lottery tickets which mysteriously vanished in the mail.

The Government Lottery Office is not happy about a batch of new tickets sent to Ayutthaya for distribution to sellers which vanished on their way to delivery, it announced yesterday. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/06/20/thai-post-mysteriously-loses-42800-lottery-tickets

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-06-20

Reading in the other newspaper

The package containing the tickets was sent by Thailand Post, addressed to the governor of Ayutthaya province.[/quote]

Now I understand why there is no true love for the electronically automated (#7, tangcoral) draw.

If the governor catches only 5 Baht per ticket then there will be a monthly "allowance" of 42.800 x 5 x 2 (2 times monthly) = 428.000 Baht. rolleyes.gif

The Thai GLO is a little bit shy to publicise the revenue of each draw. It's hard to find some reliable reports about how many tickets have been sold per draw. Let me think of 20 million - and I believe that's an understatement - then there are 100 million bath running into the pockets of some well connected people, 200 million within 1 month.

It seems to be very interesting job to be a governor. Why do the tickets go to a governor, as here in this case, and not to a lottery agency or a vendor. sad.png

That's the real reason why the drawing maschine will be banned for ever. But not for ever, if Gen. Ochoa is going on to clear out the Augean stables.

Edited by puck2
  • Like 1

Simple, publish the serial number and offer a 50,000 Baht reward leading to arrests.

The reward will never be claimed as those who have these tickets will burn them straight away, end of problem, now wait for improved security at Thai Post, and the resignations from the Board of Directors.

I have mail and received 100's of letters and package both in country and out and never losss a damn thing. Now tell me how was this sent? Sure the hell should be registered mail. Somehow they should be able to track it.

Oh, I forgot the General told us we are Happy smile.png

42,800 tickets isn't going to increase the chances of winning the jackpot by very much, believe it or not.

If you have 42800 numbers you've got a 1 in 24 chance... pretty good odds actually. Even of they're duplicate numbers in packs of ten that's still 1 in 240-much better than the 1 in 999999 that you get when buying a single ticket.

Edited by SABloke

MISSING NUMBERS
Lottery tickets go missing

BANGKOK: -- A total of 42,800 lottery tickets for the July 1 draw went missing earlier this month while being transported from a post office to the city hall in Ayutthaya province.

Authorities have filed a complaint with police and suspended the missing numbers. They also promised a reward of Bt10,000 for each pack of lottery tickets returned.

Worawat Promyu, 25, driver of the pickup told police that on June 5, he left the post office with 16 packs of lottery tickets at 1.45pm. Each pack contained 21,400 tickets.

"In line with normal procedure, the lotteries were being transported to the City Hall for later distribution by officials," he said.

However, as he drove past Chaimongkon Temple, he noticed in the back mirror that the doors to the container were open. He stopped the vehicle and checked the contents.

He found two packs of 42,800 lottery tickets had gone missing. He retraced his steps but was unable to find them. His office was alerted about the disappearance and filed a report with police.

Police said that anyone who had picked up the tickets must return them at once or face legal action. Those who have already bought one or more tickets for the July 1 draw should check if these are among the missing numbers.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-20

I have used Thai post for sending and receiving items for years....personally, I reckon they are pretty good. Sent a parcel by EMS the other day and arrived in the UK 4 days later. Nothing wrong with that service!

My experience with Thai postal service is that it is unreliable at best. Many "lost" i.e. undelivered items/mail. Certainly not trust worthy IMO.

My experience with Thailand Post is that they are reliable, deliver to my home, leave a card for any parcel to be picked up and never lost anything sent to me. 8/10.

Next........................whistling.gif

While my experience has been:

1 of 3 International Driving permits delivered,

1 of 2 Credit Cards delivered,

1 of 2 Airline "Frequent Flyer" cards delivered, and

0 of 4 Birthday cards delivered.

However it does appear that they are 100% as far as delivering my Telephone, Internet and other bills ! blink.png

• Like 1

In this case it appears to have been a theft by outside party rather than a loss. And agree post office here is very reliable - unlike in some countries - last two letter from sister in Texas took 10 months and 2 months respectively to arrive - last one (yesterday) and admission "missent to Jamaica".

All lottery tickets should be sold only by the 7-11 stores in this country.. 7-11 stores are more prevalent than bicycle vendors....No more markup of ticket price face value, less robberies of vendors, distribution of tickets by armored car armed guards to stores via current monetary deposit system. Lottery Commission should look to future computerized computation and distribution system to be put in place. Time to get out of the past which has lot of problems and move to the future. This could open up more revenue for the Lottery and offer greater prizes and opportunities. Just Sayin'! This could be a realization with the new movers and shakers scrutinizing everything that concerns money, corruption and current problems with the systems that are in place.