American family moving to Bangkok, many questions.

DExpatWife

Hi all,

Glad i found this forum. My husband got an offer to move to Bangkok (same company he currently works for). We are Americans and have three kids, all school age. We have lived as expats and visited many countries before, never been to Thailand though, so excuse my ignorance in advance smile.png?v=1.0
We were told we can pick any school and the company will cover the expenses. We would like to keep them in the American System so we would like to enroll them in an American school unless the American school there is horrible in which case, we would consider a school with an IB curriculum or similar. Is the American International School in Bangkok a good school? Is there a long waiting list for schools and when does the school starts there? Suggestions and feed back on schools are highly appreciated.

What kind of a house budget are we going to be looking at? Which areas should we consider? We would like a nice 4 bedrooms house/apartment in a decent area (preferably where other American and expat families live). Are there expat compounds there? How's the medical system there, decent doctors/hospitals? They said they will provide a car and a driver so i am assuming driving there is a bit of a challenge.

How's the expat community (events, play dates, gatherings....etc)? We have been living in Houston for 3 years and we will be leaving many beloved friends behind, but are very much looking forward to making new friends and be exposed to a new wonderful culture smile.png?v=1.0
Anything we should bring with us we may not be able to find easily there? Company will ship our belonging so if there are things we'd need to buy and ship it won't be an issue.

All your feed back, suggestions and advise are greatly appreciated as i am a bit nervous about all of this, but very excited at the same time.

Thank you

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of the above is good advice.

I'd reiterate that Nichada Thani does a fairly good job in replicating a gated American suburb with lots of tropical features and the school is one of the top three in Bangkok.

The biggest pro is that the school is where you live.

The major downside is that it is in the middle of nowhere (by Bangkok standards) making it that little bit harder to enjoy what Bangkok has to offer.

There are plenty of high grade (and huge apartments) in the downtown area and a good moving company will know where to take you.

In terms of schools we send our daughter to NiST which is an IB school and fees run to about $20k per year when you add most things in. In terms of top tier schools in there is ISB, NIST and Bangkok Pattana, being run on the US, IB and British systems respectively.

The American school of Bangkok doesn't really rate and has very tiny facilities.

Expat community is great. If you have little ones check out Bambi. Not sure about the Americans but the Australia and New Zealand women's group is open to all commers and they produce the definitive expats guide to Bangkok which is worth buying when you arrive.

Bangkok is a pretty schizophrenic place with rich and not so rich living pretty much side by side. There are preferable areas for expats to live (sukhumvit, Silom, sathorn) in the downtown area but there are no 'good neighbourhoods' per se.

All the best with the move and how you enjoy Bangkok as much as we do!

Edited by samran
  • Like 2

Everything Charles said is good. AS to where to live, before making any choices I would find out where you husband office is going to be. Traffic in Bangkok is a nightmare

going just a few miles can take an hour or more at times. He might even consider taking the Subway or Skytrain instead of having a driver taking him to the office, again all depends on where you will be living. There are some really good international schools. Will your company have someone to show you around help find a place to live, school, shopping etc? If not ask about this service as there are few companies in Thailand that offer this and it helps. Thailand / Bangkok is a great place to live, cost of living is lower than the US however some food products that are imported can be expensive almost double the price that you would pay in the US. It does take time to get accustom to Thailand. I really suggest in getting a maid. A live in maid will cost you about $200-$300 US per month and is well worth it, as you will always have a babysitter at hand. She can buy stuff at the fresh market each day and get things done that you might find difficult.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the reply! You guys are awesome!

kblaze- i will check the Nichada Thani community and school there, thank you so much for all the pointers, if you think of anything else, please share.

Samran- Thank you for your reply. Do you think it would be more important to be closer to the school or hubby's work? I guess i'll have a clearer picture when i get there. I'll check out NiST although i'd really rather have them in a school that offers an American curriculum, it'll be easier for them to adjust moving there then back to the States (at some point). The American curriculum came a long way especially in the past few years, it used to be a joke honestly, i am very impressed by how far it came. I hope that change carried on @ the American Schools over-seas as well. What matters most to me is that they get an excellent education.
I will check out Bambi as well, thank you!

CharlesHH- Thank you for the hospital advise, hopefully we won't need it, but if we do, i now know where to go smile.png I don't think the company has a beach place to use, but man, sounds nice! They might need to look into that wink.png Regarding the maids, there are part times ones, right? Like cleaning agencies? I lived in Abu Dhabi before moving to Houston, everyone and their mother had a maid, good for them! I just can't do it, i can't get my family used to that (i'd imagine i'd have to pay for it later when we move back to the States or anywhere without our beloved maid). I don't know, might change my mind smile.png That being said, even now in the States, i get a house keeper to come out once a week, sometimes every other week, to help me with deep cleaning, would like to have that there as well. As you can tell, i have a mind of my own. I have seen people suffer and life destroyed because they were "keeping up with Jones" or letting negativity take over, i like making lemonade, well, i have my moments but for the most part, i'll be making lemonade smile.png I have met amazing people during my moves and some became life-long friends , can not wait for that part of the experience smile.png

Suradit69- Thank you for your reply! A big part of why we are doing this, is so our kids can experience different cultures and meet amazing people from different parts of the world. Both my husband and i had that growing up and we want that for our kids. So i agree with you, i am not going to isolate myself smile.png We are looking forward to making new friends both "Westerners" and Thais. Appriciate the feed back, if you can think of anything else, please share smile.png

ericthai- Good point, i have no idea where his office is going to be, i doubt he does yet either. Ugh! I was hoping traffic would be on the okay side, we have pretty brutal traffic jams in Houston. I think the company will provide us with a real estate agent but that's about it (if it's going to be anything like all the other International moves), we usually ask questions ahead, see if we know people already living in the country we are moving to, or have lived there, get on forums and ask wonderful people like yourself questions and suggestions then get there and discover on our own.

Here's a silly question regarding food, i know most countries have better quality food than the US but while in the US, i like to buy everything i can organic (including junk food lol), how's the food quality in Thailand? I'd imagine crazy selection and very fresh, but is it organically grown/raised?

Thank you all for your time again, you have no idea how much i appreciate it.

Edited by DExpatWife
  • Like 1

Just be aware that the electrical system here is 220V/50HZ, so don't bring electronics/appliances that can not support the power. Check all the power transformers first. You can buy literally everything you can possibly need (there are some exceptions). You can rent houses fully furnished, partially furnished, or not furnished. Pack your household stuff for both storage and for shipping clearly labeling them and make your self a record of it.. Once you get here then after you find a place to live, its an easy matter of having your states side contact ship only the boxes or items you really need. The rest goes into storage. Some planning goes a long way.

• Like 1

A great opportunity. It would be a good idea to indicate roughly where your husband's office is as this would get you better targeted answers on accommodation and schools. Traffic in Bangkok is really, really bad so it really, really needs to be taken into consideration if you are using the roads. :)

Good luck.

• Like 2

Just be aware that the electrical system here is 220V/50HZ, so don't bring electronics/appliances that can not support the power. Check all the power transformers first. You can buy literally everything you can possibly need (there are some exceptions). You can rent houses fully furnished, partially furnished, or not furnished. Pack your household stuff for both storage and for shipping clearly labeling them and make your self a record of it.. Once you get here then after you find a place to live, its an easy matter of having your states side contact ship only the boxes or items you really need. The rest goes into storage. Some planning goes a long way.

Oh thank you! I didn't even think about that. Dealt with it in Abu Dhabi and got around it by buying electrical transmitters/converters from 110 to 220. I still have some of them, i will bring them with for sure. Since company will be paying to ship belongings, i will be looking at not furnished, just easier and cheaper than having to buy ev everything all over.

A great opportunity. It would be a good idea to indicate roughly where your husband's office is as this would get you better targeted answers on accommodation and schools. Traffic in Bangkok is really, really bad so it really, really needs to be taken into consideration if you are using the roads. smile.png

Good luck.

I'll have hubby find out, i think we are pretty set on ISB for school though, it just seem to make sense, things may change once we find out more and get there of course. Sucks about the traffic, i was hoping to move away from all of that since we have pretty bad traffic here as well *sigh*, thanks for your reply :)

Many items you find plentiful and cheap in the US, can be either hard to find here or very expensive. Quality bed sheets, pillows, towels, cutlery, dishes, etc. Are all quite expensive here. Cheap stuff is easy to find, but it's just that...cheap. Same goes for clothes. Easy to find cheap clothes here, but they are just that. Quality clothing is expensive with a limited selection. At least compared to what you have in larger cities in the US.

Stereo equipment is another one. Unfortunately, you need transformers to run electrical appliances brought over from the US. I've found stereo equipment here to be about double what you'd pay in the US.

I also found computers to be cheaper in the US, and many more options. Plus, you'll get a proper OS. Same with cameras...cheaper in the US and many more options. Musical instruments is another one. Kitchen appliances is another, but again, have that electrical issue to deal with. I'd love to get a nice espresso machine. What I had back in the US is at least double what you'd pay here.

There are some pretty good hospitals here, but if there is anything you can get done before you leave, probably best to do so.

• Like 1

A great opportunity. It would be a good idea to indicate roughly where your husband's office is as this would get you better targeted answers on accommodation and schools. Traffic in Bangkok is really, really bad so it really, really needs to be taken into consideration if you are using the roads. smile.png

Good luck.

I'll have hubby find out, i think we are pretty set on ISB for school though, it just seem to make sense, things may change once we find out more and get there of course. Sucks about the traffic, i was hoping to move away from all of that since we have pretty bad traffic here as well *sigh*, thanks for your reply smile.png

Yeah, about that...traffic in Bangkok is indeed horrendous. My parents have lived in the Houston area for years and that traffic is nothing compared to what you might expect in Bangkok. As you will find out, the public transportation system in Bangkok is very, very good - unlike in Houston. It's all going to depend upon where you live but I wouldn't, if I were in your situation, plan on doing a lot of driving in Bangkok or rely upon car transportation. (You do know that it's driving on the "other" side of the road?) Once you adapt to the idea of taking the BTS or the MRT to wherever you go, it's faster and much less stressful. Again, depends upon where you'll be living. Good luck and enjoy your time in Thailand. Lots to like and challenges too.

Edited by Diplomatico
  • Like 1

Public transport in Bangkok is pretty good...but only if you live near one of the stations. Otherwise, it's pretty bad. We lived in Bangkok for a few years but always within walking distance of a station. It will take you some time to get use to driving here...

• Like 1

Many items you find plentiful and cheap in the US, can be either hard to find here or very expensive. Quality bed sheets, pillows, towels, cutlery, dishes, etc. Are all quite expensive here. Cheap stuff is easy to find, but it's just that...cheap. Same goes for clothes. Easy to find cheap clothes here, but they are just that. Quality clothing is expensive with a limited selection. At least compared to what you have in larger cities in the US.

Stereo equipment is another one. Unfortunately, you need transformers to run electrical appliances brought over from the US. I've found stereo equipment here to be about double what you'd pay in the US.

I also found computers to be cheaper in the US, and many more options. Plus, you'll get a proper OS. Same with cameras...cheaper in the US and many more options. Musical instruments is another one. Kitchen appliances is another, but again, have that electrical issue to deal with. I'd love to get a nice espresso machine. What I had back in the US is at least double what you'd pay here.

There are some pretty good hospitals here, but if there is anything you can get done before you leave, probably best to do so.

Thank you! Very helpful :)

"Here's a silly question regarding food, i know most countries have better quality food than the US but while in the US, i like to buy everything i can organic (including junk food lol), how's the food quality in Thailand? I'd imagine crazy selection and very fresh, but is it organically grown/raised?"

Biggest misconception about Thailand is the 'crazy and very fresh' food thing.

Expect organic to be hideously priced and being Thailand how could you be sure it was organic?

Supermarkets often offer damaged, old rotten fruit, simply wouldn't be for sale in the West.

Best to put that image of healthy living Thailand out of you mind so you won't be disappointed.

Oil (lots of it) and sugar are the stables here, jesus they deep fry omelets!

Oh no sad.png I guess i am going to have to do a lot of cooking, not looking forward to the no organic options though sad.png

Edited by DExpatWife

Welcome to Thailand. Here's my advise:

1. Buy a little hand book and learn some basic Thai etiquette, customs and culture.
  2. If you Company is paying for school, enroll at ISB (International School of Bangkok). Its an American curriculum school situated in a gated western style community (expensive if you have to pay your self however). You should contact the school directly to see about fees, waiting lists etc. http://www.isb.ac.th/default.aspx. Other schools with American curriculum are Berkeley International School http://www.berkeley.ac.th/ (my child attends), American School of Bangkok http://www.asb.ac.th/index.php and some others you can internet search.
  3. Housing budget: Nichada Thani which is where ISB will be most expensive but is a very nice safe community. You need to do some internet searching to see prices as they vary significantly. Check with the schools to recommend some places. In my area a 4 bedroom fully furnished condo rents for about $1,600/month. You may want a maid which runs about $300-400/month.
  4. Medical hospitals (private) are many and top notch. Cheap too. Samativej, Bumrungrad, Bangkok Hospital, BNH most popular among expats.
  5. If your a socialite, go live at Nichada Thani and send kids to ISB. Many activities and clubs in there. Or join AMCHAM or other organizations for Americans and expats.
  6. Just about anything you can buy in America you can buy here and usually cheaper. Electronics slight more here however, but if you bring your own stereo etc remember power here is 220V 50Hz and plugs sometimes different. I made the mistake of bringing my stereo from Canada and had to have all the transformers placed or rewired for 220V, and they never sounded the same.

I have been living in Thailand for 19 years (originally from Canada) and never looked back.

Thais for the most part are very friendly and helpful but do take time to learn basic customs and their culture which the Thais will appreciate very much.

Best of luck.

• Like 1

You and your family are about to embark on a great experience but be warned - those experiences will be good and bad. I love Thailand and have been here for 10 years and can relate to you countless stories that would make you laugh and make you cry. Westerners [tourists and expats] tend to congregate in certain areas and that attracts the low-life of Thailand as well because because to the Thais foreigners mean money. Be prepared for the "sexpats", a type of person you will quickly become acquainted with and disgusted by.

Where to live. Try to live close to the BTS [the overhead suburban train system] or the MRT [underground system]. The traffic is a true nightmare so if your husband works close to one of those lines then that is a priority. The Sukhumwit or Sathorn areas are quite smart especially Thonglor off Sukhumwit but my personal choice would be Sathorn which is very close to good supermarkets and a wonderful public park called Lumpini which is great for jogging or a picnic on the grass. It is also not far from the Chao Phraya river with all of its interesting sights cultural centres and restaurants etc.

Food Don't be afraid to try the street food. It often looks terrifying but is mostly delicious and fresh. I have had 5 bouts of gastro and all were after eating out at very high class restaurants. I have a theory about it. Restaurants have refrigerators and therefore store food for some periods of time whereas the street vendors do not have refrigeration and therefore buy fresh in the morning markets and cook and sell it on the same day.

Safety I would never hesitate to walk home through Bkk's streets at 3 AM. I always feel secure and have never been threatened. I would not do that in Sydney or New York or Berlin.

Scams You are going to be ripped off and it cannot be avoided - taxis, motorcycle taxis, hard luck stories about sick buffaloes and dying grandmothers. A friend once asked me to pay for his father's funeral and I did so. 2 years later he again asked me to pay for his father's funeral. He had forgotten that he had already used that line on me.

Language Learn a few words and the Thais really appreciate it. It will also indicate to the scammers and rip-off people that you are a bit familiar with the country and will be less likely to pick on you.

Face Be very aware of "face" as you can very easily offend and make an enemy of a Thai by not understanding this Asian cultural phenomenon. It is especially important for your husband to be aware of this while doing business here. Do some research on it.

The People In Bkk the people often tend to be "hi so" [high society] or at least try to be or think they are. They are very into brand names and all that nonsense. Thais tend to tell lies very often. Sometimes just because they want to tell you what they think you want to hear and therefore protect your feelings. Sometimes it is to protect their face or yours. Very often it is to rip you off. Just be wary. The beautiful and famous smile is usually not there because they are pleased to see you - there will be another reason behind it. BUT do get out into the country and the further the better. Joy and interest await you and it is where most of the nice Thai people live. Go and meet them and interact with them - even and the highway sales stalls dotted everywhere.

Driving - This is very important and will possibly save your life. If you go driving in the countryside do the driving yourselves. Do not use a Thai driver. Double lines going up a hill usually means that a big bus is about to appear over the crest in front of you on your side of the road. If you have a Thai driver he will probably do the same thing with your family in the car. I am serious. 30,000 people die on Thai roads each year. It can be 300 - 400 just on a long weekend. And many people say that 30,000 figure is for those that die at the scene and does not include people that die in hospital over the next few days. Always be prepared for vehicles coming down the road towards you on your side - particularly motorcycles.

In spite of all that I have written you will have a great and interesting time and best of luck to you and your family.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Okay, found where hubby's office will be, Rangsit Road, Kwaeng Jompol, Khet Chatuchak Bangkok, 10900. Hope this will help narrow things down.

ISB, Nichada Thani is not too far from Rangsit, Chatuchak. That's you best bet.

• Like 1

Okay, found where hubby's office will be, Rangsit Road, Kwaeng Jompol, Khet Chatuchak Bangkok, 10900. Hope this will help narrow things down.

It will be equidistant from downtown (where many expats in your situation live) and nichada Thani estate where ISB is.

Traffic wise if living in town your husband will be going mainly against the traffic to get to work and going home. Opposite at nichada Thani, but I assume he'll have a driver so that probably won't be as big as deal as it sounds.

To my mind the pros and cons of nichada Thani are this:

PROS

- schooling that you want and one of the top three in BKK

- your kids won't have to commute to school (other international schools have mini bus pick ups between 6.00 and 7am to get in for a 7.30 start)

- nichada Thani is pretty self contained with the supermarkets you want

- it is very nice and will have a ready made community to fit in

CONS

- distance from town which will become an issue once you have settled in and gotten your bearings. You will need a second car. Downtown you can rely on public transport and taxis are plentiful and cheap.

- you aren't really living inthailand out there. Comforting for some, not others. Bangkok is a great place and despite the apparent chaos is actually quite and easy place to live. To my estimation about 80% love it the other 20% struggle. All of what will be available at nichada will be available outside of there, in much better quantities and qualities. I live in mid Sukhumvit and we are surrounded by great restaurants bars and cafés with cuisine from all over the world.

Having said all that, we chose to live here cause I can get my daughter to school for 15 mins! So life does revolve around your kids!

Anything else, let us know!

• Like 2

They have venting for dryers here. We didn't have one initially, but do now. They are fantastic, especially during the rainy season.

As for food quality, it's a big issue here. Always soak your veggies:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/706792-thai-health-ministry-warns-of-increasing-use-of-formalin-by-vendors-at-fresh-markets/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/587524-dangerous-levels-of-pesticides-will-poison-thailands-food-plan/

Be careful with street food. There are no health inspectors here. This is an opinion piece, but it's pretty spot on. My wife and I rarely eat street food...unfortunately. She can cook much better, and use better ingredients.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/660695-why-bangkok-street-food-sucks-opinion/

Just saw this...one reason I warned about "cheap" stuff here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/636915-thai-medical-sciences-dept-warn-consumers-of-threats-from-low-quality-plasticware/

Wow...you got a lot to think about! But don't stress too much. Thailand is a great country and Bangkok is a fantastic city. Lots to do and see. And from here, it's a short trip to many other fantastic places. We love it here. Enjoy it while you can.

• Like 1

Since you say you've already lived overseas you may do this already, but since the company is shipping things over, go to your local warehouse store (costco or such) and stock up on your favorite paper products, paper towels, toilet tissue, etc. You can buy in bulk much cheaper than the same items in Thailand, and better quality. Same goes for any non-perishable things the kids might enjoy. Many things are available as noted in above posts, but you'll pay to live that western lifestyle. LIving thai is cheap, trying to live a western lifestyle, not so much.

• Like 1