American family moving to Bangkok, many questions.

DExpatWife

I will repeat what several others already said. Nichada Thani is a good choice for expats with families. It is about 30 minutes from downtown depending on traffic and time of day. There is a mix of houses and condos with more than 45 sub communities inside the gates I think. There are two international schools, ISB which has a beautiful campus and Rose Marie Academy which is a much smaller school but with a good teacher to student ratio. There is a nondenominational church for Christians and the largest Villa Grocery store inThailand is located there too. Villa is an international grocery store. There is also a Bumrungrad clinic on site and the new New World Medical Center is just a few blocks outside the gate.

• Like 1

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the maid, yes you can get part time. Over the years I have had live-in and part time. Live-in is nice when you have kids as you always have a baby sitter available (if she is good with kids) I would say most Thai's are good with kids. Part time was not bad she came 3 days a week, this was when I was single so it was good for me, I paid her 200B a day (minimum wage at the time was 150B a day) I paid her more than minimum wage because she would be there more than 10hrs a day and did everything each day, mop floors, dust, dishes, clean bathrooms, etc not just tidy up. If you want a part time maid figure about paying minimum wage which is now 300B a day ( a little under $10 USD)if it is going to be full days. If less than a full day then adjust.

I had a maid for awhile that came every day, mop, dishes and took my laundry home to wash and iron. I paid her 4000B a month (about $125.00 USD) She worked about 2-3hrs a day plus however long doing laundry.

Full time live-in maid I paid 8000B a month (about $250) she had one day a week off, which was Sundays, she did most of the food buying. I would give her how much I thought she needed to buy food and most of the time there was money left over which I would always give to her. (50-100B) So she did make a little extra money each month. She was from Burma honest and great worker and the kids loved her. She would help them with homework pick them up after school wake them up in the morning and have breakfast ready for everyone. It's not easy to find a good maid you might need to go through 2-3 before you find the one that fits in.

There are plenty of things to go and see and do. Hua Hin beach is less than 2hr drive from Bangkok which is always nice for the weekend. If you are going to go somewhere on the weekend get away and use the driver then you will need to give the driver some cash for him to find a place to stay. There is no need to get him a hotel room. I used to give my driver 500B this would let him get a room, have a meal or two and maybe a few beers. Most of the time my driver would know someone and stay with them and pocket the cash. So many places to go and see just too much to list.

Some information on visa's your husband will be able to get a non-B visa, he should check into getting his Non-b from a consultant or embassy in the US before coming to Thailand.

This will make things a little easier. If not then when you get here you will get a visa exempt stamp then when the paper work is ready he will need to travel to Laos or Malaysia to get a visa, same for you. In the US he should he able to get a 1 year visa. He will need a letter from his employer stating that he is being transferred, most of the time the letter is all that is needed, sometimes they want more taxes payments, corporation papers etc., best to call and ask what is needed. You should be able to get a non-O from his Non-B. As for the children you don't really need to worry about them if they are under the age of 12, if not then get them a Non-O. When coming to Thailand if the children dont have a visa they will get a visa exempt stamp. Thailand does not impose any penalties for children under the age of 12 for not having a visa or for overstaying. If your husband's employer will take care of the children's visas then let them do it, if not and it becomes a hassle then as stated if under the age of 12 don't worry. My one friend was transferred to Thailand for 3 years and his children were 4 and 6. They were on over stay as he never did anything with their visa. He knew the laws and when they left no problem at all.

When you and your husband get your visa and you enter into Thailand you will get stamped-in for a permission of stay for 90 days, no matter how long your visa is valid for you will only get a 90 day stamp. At the end of 90 days you have a choice which will depend on what type of visa you have.

If you have a multi-entry Non-O or Non-B then you have two options. Do a visa run which would mean traveling to a neighboring country (Burma, Laos, Cambodia) by land or air. Most people in Bangkok choose Cambodia but it is about 3-4hr drive. You leave Thailand and turn around and come right back in. You can fly out and back in one day also. Other option is go to immigration and get an extension to stay, if you do this you need to report to immigration every 90 days, however this can be done via mail. This is your easiest, unless you plan to visit near by countries for holidays. There is allot of information on Thaivisa about visa's. When you do arrive and get stamped-in, check the stamp right away. They sometimes make mistakes and use the wrong stamp so make sure it is correct before you leave the airport so you can get it corrected easily. If you notice this later then you need to go to immigration to get if fixed and most days immigration in Bangkok is packed.

Hope all of this helps. Good luck and enjoy Thailand!!!

How do u get to hua hin in less than 2 hours?

As for the maid, yes you can get part time. Over the years I have had live-in and part time. Live-in is nice when you have kids as you always have a baby sitter available (if she is good with kids) I would say most Thai's are good with kids. Part time was not bad she came 3 days a week, this was when I was single so it was good for me, I paid her 200B a day (minimum wage at the time was 150B a day) I paid her more than minimum wage because she would be there more than 10hrs a day and did everything each day, mop floors, dust, dishes, clean bathrooms, etc not just tidy up. If you want a part time maid figure about paying minimum wage which is now 300B a day ( a little under $10 USD)if it is going to be full days. If less than a full day then adjust.

I had a maid for awhile that came every day, mop, dishes and took my laundry home to wash and iron. I paid her 4000B a month (about $125.00 USD) She worked about 2-3hrs a day plus however long doing laundry.

Full time live-in maid I paid 8000B a month (about $250) she had one day a week off, which was Sundays, she did most of the food buying. I would give her how much I thought she needed to buy food and most of the time there was money left over which I would always give to her. (50-100B) So she did make a little extra money each month. She was from Burma honest and great worker and the kids loved her. She would help them with homework pick them up after school wake them up in the morning and have breakfast ready for everyone. It's not easy to find a good maid you might need to go through 2-3 before you find the one that fits in.

There are plenty of things to go and see and do. Hua Hin beach is less than 2hr drive from Bangkok which is always nice for the weekend. If you are going to go somewhere on the weekend get away and use the driver then you will need to give the driver some cash for him to find a place to stay. There is no need to get him a hotel room. I used to give my driver 500B this would let him get a room, have a meal or two and maybe a few beers. Most of the time my driver would know someone and stay with them and pocket the cash. So many places to go and see just too much to list.

Some information on visa's your husband will be able to get a non-B visa, he should check into getting his Non-b from a consultant or embassy in the US before coming to Thailand.

This will make things a little easier. If not then when you get here you will get a visa exempt stamp then when the paper work is ready he will need to travel to Laos or Malaysia to get a visa, same for you. In the US he should he able to get a 1 year visa. He will need a letter from his employer stating that he is being transferred, most of the time the letter is all that is needed, sometimes they want more taxes payments, corporation papers etc., best to call and ask what is needed. You should be able to get a non-O from his Non-B. As for the children you don't really need to worry about them if they are under the age of 12, if not then get them a Non-O. When coming to Thailand if the children dont have a visa they will get a visa exempt stamp. Thailand does not impose any penalties for children under the age of 12 for not having a visa or for overstaying. If your husband's employer will take care of the children's visas then let them do it, if not and it becomes a hassle then as stated if under the age of 12 don't worry. My one friend was transferred to Thailand for 3 years and his children were 4 and 6. They were on over stay as he never did anything with their visa. He knew the laws and when they left no problem at all.

When you and your husband get your visa and you enter into Thailand you will get stamped-in for a permission of stay for 90 days, no matter how long your visa is valid for you will only get a 90 day stamp. At the end of 90 days you have a choice which will depend on what type of visa you have.

If you have a multi-entry Non-O or Non-B then you have two options. Do a visa run which would mean traveling to a neighboring country (Burma, Laos, Cambodia) by land or air. Most people in Bangkok choose Cambodia but it is about 3-4hr drive. You leave Thailand and turn around and come right back in. You can fly out and back in one day also. Other option is go to immigration and get an extension to stay, if you do this you need to report to immigration every 90 days, however this can be done via mail. This is your easiest, unless you plan to visit near by countries for holidays. There is allot of information on Thaivisa about visa's. When you do arrive and get stamped-in, check the stamp right away. They sometimes make mistakes and use the wrong stamp so make sure it is correct before you leave the airport so you can get it corrected easily. If you notice this later then you need to go to immigration to get if fixed and most days immigration in Bangkok is packed.

Hope all of this helps. Good luck and enjoy Thailand!!!

How do u get to hua hin in less than 2 hours?

Well I guess I should have said Cha am as that is where I usually go and it take me a little under two hours.

I usually go at night 1 or 2am no traffic so I average about 120-130 kmh

Let me just add that if you shop at Foodland you will have a heart attack at some of the prices of imported stuff!

A team of Heinz beans was x6 what they are in the UK.

Have a look in Tesco like normal people wink.png

RAZZ

Oops...meant "tin" of beans.

RAZZ

buy the little pocket book will fit in shirt pocket lonely planet just says "THAI" on front cover tells about Thai culture and is great for introduction to Thai language. Buy a few for your family. Good as a ready supplement to an immersion culture. Learn as much Thai as possible. Your neighbours will respect you. but only as much as you respect them.

have fun.

Drop the American. It is ugly. try to live like the locals do. When I go to USA I live like an American. When I go to China I live like the Chinese as much as I can and when I live in Thailand i try to drop all my national pretexts and go to the temple. I converse as much as possible in Thai. I travel, eat and sleep like a Thai.

I practise the traditions of the holidays with thai friends

I attend a Thai funeral

I attend Thai weddings

I participate in the spirit dance

I throw water at Song kran

I shop at the farmers markets

Live like a Thai and you will learn a lot

Find out about the Buddhist religion

Attend ceremonies at the Buddhist temple. do as they do.

I am guessing when you go to LA you become a crip as well. Could you be a little less pretentious? Nobody needs to live how you are saying. Many Thai people live how they live because they have no other choice. How exactly does a Thai eat drink and sleep? It is a one size fits all blanket policy for all Thais doing these activities? You will find Thais that shop at western markets, visit western style cinemas, eat at fast food places, stay in good hotels, play golf and do all the things westerners also do. Now if you mean you live like a poor farmer because that is what you are capable of in your budget, while then I am utterly impressed by your noble lifestyle. Where I go I do the things I like, and most people I assume are the same irrespective of their nationality.

Please OP, do not go to live in a nice place, send your kids only to a Thai public school, make sure every meal you have has ample MSG, and ride on local buses even though you have a driver provided with car at your disposal included in your expenses. Make sure you go third class on the train with your children on trips as well because that is what this guy would do as would every other Thai given money wasn't an issue of course.

• Like 2

buy the little pocket book will fit in shirt pocket lonely planet just says "THAI" on front cover tells about Thai culture and is great for introduction to Thai language. Buy a few for your family. Good as a ready supplement to an immersion culture. Learn as much Thai as possible. Your neighbours will respect you. but only as much as you respect them.

have fun.

Drop the American. It is ugly. try to live like the locals do. When I go to USA I live like an American. When I go to China I live like the Chinese as much as I can and when I live in Thailand i try to drop all my national pretexts and go to the temple. I converse as much as possible in Thai. I travel, eat and sleep like a Thai.

I practise the traditions of the holidays with thai friends

I attend a Thai funeral

I attend Thai weddings

I participate in the spirit dance

I throw water at Song kran

I shop at the farmers markets

Live like a Thai and you will learn a lot

Find out about the Buddhist religion

Attend ceremonies at the Buddhist temple. do as they do.

I am guessing when you go to LA you become a crip as well. Could you be a little less pretentious? Nobody needs to live how you are saying. Many Thai people live how they live because they have no other choice. How exactly does a Thai eat drink and sleep? It is a one size fits all blanket policy for all Thais doing these activities? You will find Thais that shop at western markets, visit western style cinemas, eat at fast food places, stay in good hotels, play golf and do all the things westerners also do. Now if you mean you live like a poor farmer because that is what you are capable of in your budget, while then I am utterly impressed by your noble lifestyle. Where I go I do the things I like, and most people I assume are the same irrespective of their nationality.

Please OP, do not go to live in a nice place, send your kids only to a Thai public school, make sure every meal you have has ample MSG, and ride on local buses even though you have a driver provided with car at your disposal included in your expenses. Make sure you go third class on the train with your children on trips as well because that is what this guy would do as would every other Thai given money wasn't an issue of course.

Classic. Spot on. Funniest post I've read in ages!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Traffic is bad in the rush hours, but is OK when the kids are at school and people are at work... Unless you like driving in traffic and intend to have two cars - either live somewhere that your husband can get to work easily without a car, or somewhere that the kids can get to school easily without a car. (or look forward to early mornings getting the kids ready for the school minibus - and them getting home late, and with lots of homework).

We did the school run for years, but then I worked from home so I could split the driving between me and my wife. (It helped that they extended the expressway that went past the school out to near our house...). Can't help on the American schools though as my kids went to a British one.

The biggest problem with the international schools is the cost, but if your husband's company is picking up the tab, ISB is definitely the way to go - especially as the expressway near there goes to near Chatuchak.

Thank you all for your replies, this forum and members are beyond awesome! I am sad to announce that the company changed location on us, it looks like we are going to Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam :(

I am completely lost as i can't find much information on the new location (was able to find couple of forums, not as active as this one), still in the process of researching though, if any of you have been or have an advise please contact me. Meanwhile, hoping to find more info on HCMC, keeping fingers crossed they change their mind again and send us to BKK instead :)

Thank you all for your replies, this forum and members are beyond awesome! I am sad to announce that the company changed location on us, it looks like we are going to Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam sad.png

I am completely lost as i can't find much information on the new location (was able to find couple of forums, not as active as this one), still in the process of researching though, if any of you have been or have an advise please contact me. Meanwhile, hoping to find more info on HCMC, keeping fingers crossed they change their mind again and send us to BKK instead smile.png

Well that is disappointing. I lived in HCMC for a year about 5-6 years ago. I'm sure allot has changed since that time. There are some good international schools in HCMC. HCMC is not as exciting as BKK. It is clean, safe place to live. However not so many supermarkets, movies are very seldom in English.

The good things are HCMC is cheaper than BKK. Beer and wine are much cheaper, food about the same rent a little cheaper. But shopping is not even close to what BKK. I could be wrong and all of this has changed as I said I have not been there in about 5-6 years. There is a small American community, I'm sure if you check with the US chamber of Commerce they can help allot. Wish you all the best in HCMC. You might need to make some trips top BKK for shopping. I know my one friend his wife comes to BKK for shopping from HCMC. Good luck to you!

• Like 1

Never let your husband out of your sight for more than an hour at a time.

I am sure he is a good man, but many good men before him have sunk in the sticky quicksand of Bangkok.

Otherwise, eat the street food, catch the BTS and MRT, live near the BTS or MRT, send your kids to ISB or NIST, get a maid/nanny and pay them well, get a car so you can escape on the weekends, carry an umbrella between July and November, carry a parasol at other times, throw away any fake tan cream you have, buy the ANZWG book, have a massage every other day, leave your jackets and warm clothes in the USA, buy some flip flips, and get excited about living in the best (and worst) city on Earth smile.png