Should I get a rabies vaccine while I'm in Bangkok?

benj005

I just touched down in Bangkok. I forgot just how many stray dogs roam the streets. Although most are friendly I'm positive there are a few that would bite you if given the chance.

I didn't get the rabies vaccine while I was in America. Should I get this done, or is it unnecessary? Have you guys had it done? Finally, has anyone been bitten by a stray dog? What's the best action to make sure that a bite doesn't happen to me.

Thanks...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

You are being a little paranoid. Packs of wild dogs will not be there to greet your incoming flight. Been here 16 years, seen plenty of stray dogs, never been bitten or had a rabies jab. In the unlikely event you do get bitten, then you would have a course of rabies jabs as soon as possible after the bite. Enjoy your stay and try and think about something else.

• Like 1

You are being a little paranoid. Packs of wild dogs will not be there to greet your incoming flight. Been here 16 years, seen plenty of stray dogs, never been bitten or had a rabies jab. In the unlikely event you do get bitten, then you would have a course of rabies jabs as soon as possible after the bite. Enjoy your stay and try and think about something else.

I was reading something about Bangkok and this issue was brought up. To be honest I didn't even think about it until I read someone's post on stray dogs in Bangkok.

Thanks.

If you run or ride a bicycle in small sois early or late when the dogs stop being lazy and want to chase you, you have a greater chance of getting bitten and the 5 rabies shots post the event are far more unpleasant than the 2 pre the event jabs

But up to you....

Have a great stay.

People get bitten here all the time, do a search for "dog bite" on this forum.

And rabies in endemic here.

If you get the pre-exposure vaccine you will need fewer injections if bitten and not require the immunoglobulin (the most dangerous of the post-bite treatments in terms of potential adverse effects) at all.

Personally I would advise it.

• Like 1

I just got my first shots today. I got the rabies and tetanus shot. I need to go back for more to complete the package.

Its funny that you guys mentioned how the dogs will chase you if you're on a bike. I was walking into the dentist office and sure enough a big dog went after a woman on a bike. I thought she was going to get bit for sure. When I got out of the dentist office i walked down a dark street w/ my girlfriend. I was sure that we were going to see some dogs. Luckily, we didn't see any.

I noticed that most of the dogs are on the side street and not on the main drag.

What's the alternative? Maybe I can wear shin pads in case of an attack? Lol.. The Thais don't fear these dogs. My girl thinks I'm crazy for even getting the shots.

Also, I looked at the CDC website for Thailand and they don't make a big deal about the dogs. They only recommend that you get the shots if you're working around animals.

That's about it.

Aren't Americans obsessive. It really is to do with their superiority complex. I remember my mother being a tour guide 50 years ago in Africa handling cruise ship American passengers, and they would not touch anything and some would not even get out of the tour bus. Totally paranoid!

The worst thing that can happen here is getting crabs or herpes or getting stung by some taxi or jet ski mafia. Forget the dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Aren't Americans obsessive. It really is to do with their superiority complex. I remember my mother being a tour guide 50 years ago in Africa handling cruise ship American passengers, and they would not touch anything and some would not even get out of the tour bus. Totally paranoid!

The worst thing that can happen here is getting crabs or herpes or getting stung by some taxi or jet ski mafia. Forget the dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

It wouldnt take long to extend your list of the worst things that can happen here- which includes getting bitten by a rabid dog. Traffic accidents, hiv, cholera at songkran- or even racial abuse on Thai Visa.....