What do you know about Thailand?

Somsrisonphimai

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know everything. Ask me.

Why the elderly Thai ladies chew betel nut?
It is a drug. Have you tried it? My mate was into them for a while.

No I have not nor I have a desire to try one, but they think it is cool to chew betel nuts.

who thinks its cool?

I know everything. Ask me.

Why the elderly Thai ladies chew betel nut?
It is a drug. Have you tried it? My mate was into them for a while.

No I have not nor I have a desire to try one, but they think it is cool to chew betel nuts.

They just like the resultant red teeth. It attracts the discerning Thai men

I don't understand this thread, What do I really know about Thailand?What does the OP mean by "What do I really know about Thailand"

Does this imply that what we know is not really true?

I know some things about Thailand, and many others I don't,

same as every one else.

I am learning more every day. and one day I will die and stop learning,

same as everyone else.

Oh wait, I know that dogs in Thailand don't bark Woof Woof, but they bark Khoon Khoon , tongue.png

It is very simple question but it is difficult to answer and you don't know how to answer it smile.png.

Where I come from, when some one asks " what do you really know about something" the implication is that you really don't know anything

There are many things I really know about Thailand,

the list is too long to post, I am sure there are many others that know even more than me.

and there are many things I don't know. Some of which I hope to learn, others I probably never will.

I still don't understand the OP, should I list all the things I really know about Thailand.............

Is it like a quiz?

• Like 1

I don't understand this thread, What do I really know about Thailand?What does the OP mean by "What do I really know about Thailand"

same as every one else.

same as everyone else.

Oh wait, I know that dogs in Thailand don't bark Woof Woof, but they bark Khoon Khoon , tongue.png

It is very simple question but it is difficult to answer and you don't know how to answer it smile.png.

Where I come from, when some one asks " what do you really know about something" the implication is that you really don't know anything

the list is too long to post, I am sure there are many others that know even more than me.

and there are many things I don't know. Some of which I hope to learn, others I probably never will.

I still don't understand the OP, should I list all the things I really know about Thailand.............

Is it like a quiz?

No, you don't need to list them. You can summarize them in one sentence.

same as every one else.

same as everyone else.

Is it like a quiz?

can you?

• Like 1

same as every one else.

same as everyone else.

Is it like a quiz?

can you?

I know that Thailand is like every place in this world, without money, education, and basic healthcare, life will be a struggle.

I know not to buy a truck and put it in my girlfriends name

Yeah, I don't get why you guys do that. In your country do you buy your girlfriend a car, house and everything else?

I understand you are a thai woman, but I understand too that you don't know thai women ( maybe you have plenty of money )

I wish I have plenty of money so that I don't have to get up and go to work.

I can understand if they are married, but even then, I don't think the men would put a house or a car only in his wife name in their country. I guess it is must be love.

Yeah, I don't get why you guys do that. In your country do you buy your girlfriend a car, house and everything else?
Yes, they do. Going to Thailand doesn't make them any smarter, or dumber.

I know Thailand gives me a lot more freedom here to live my life as I choose to, not by lists of rules regulations licences and permits.

I am not pursued and hounded to pay taxes at every opportunity by regulation or stealth.

The quality and standard of life here in Thailand, with all its many issues is far superior in my opinion to my "western" origins.

But why are there so many bashings?

Somewhere something seems to be wrong, isn't it?

Maybe a misunderstanding?

Or Cultural Differences?

Or Superiority complex?

Or just human weakness?

• Like 1

Its more what I don't know that counts.

In Thailand, unless I have verifiable first hand knowledge of someone I meet or communicate with, then I can never be sure they are what they present themselves to be.

That goes for Thailand and very much so for Thaivisa. wink.png

• Like 2

Foreigners buying trucks, or indeed property in the name of spouses and girlfriends dumb?

I suspect that in many cases the foreigner is excluded from obtaining credit to purchase a vehicle via bank loans/hire purchase in Thailand and therefore places the credit contract in the name of a girlfriend or his wife.

Its easy to point the finger at the foreigner and call him dumb, but he may have had no other viable option and he may have been acting in what he thought where the best interests of himself and a person he trusts.

If we criticise the individual, then we might also criticise a legal system which allows a foreigner to guarantee a loan, allows a foreigner to provide the payments to the loan but provides little if any recourse to recover money in the event of a breakdown of the relationship.

Edited by GuestHouse
  • Like 2

Foreigners buying trucks, or indeed property in the name of spouses and girlfriends dumb?

I suspect that in many cases the foreigner is excluded from obtaining credit to purchase a vehicle via bank loans/hire purchase in Thailand and therefore places the credit contract in the name of a girlfriend or his wife.

Its easy to point the finger at the foreigner and call him dumb, but he may have had no other viable option and he may have been acting in what he thought where the best interests of himself and a person he trusts.

If we criticise the individual, then we might also criticise a legal system which allows a foreigner to guarantee a loan, allows a foreigner to provide the payments to the loan but provides little if any recourse to recover money in the event of a breakdown of the relationship.

You made great points. I have never thought of these before and your right about the legal system.

I know Thailand gives me a lot more freedom here to live my life as I choose to, not by lists of rules regulations licences and permits.

I am not pursued and hounded to pay taxes at every opportunity by regulation or stealth.

The quality and standard of life here in Thailand, with all its many issues is far superior in my opinion to my "western" origins.

But why are there so many bashings?

Somewhere something seems to be wrong, isn't it?

Maybe a misunderstanding?

Or Cultural Differences?

Or Superiority complex?

Or just human weakness?

I say all of the above.

There's nothing wrong with the legal system.

It makes it clear that the foreigner has no place in the transaction. I sometimes wonder if some people are so thick that they cannot see that the Thai legal system is very fair to foreigners. It tells them in no uncertain terms, don't buy stuff you can't own in your own name.

Oh? you thought you'd be a smart-ass and try to wheedle round the law? So sad, too bad - who's the <deleted> now?

It's time farangs started to understand their place here, and stop whining like stuck pigs when they get it wrong.

I understand you are a thai woman, but I understand too that you don't know thai women ( maybe you have plenty of money )

I wish I have plenty of money so that I don't have to get up and go to work.

I can understand if they are married, but even then, I don't think the men would put a house or a car only in his wife name in their country. I guess it is must be love.

I put the family house in my wifes' name in my home country. At the end of the day, doesn't really that much difference in whose name. If there is a dispute on division of assets / money is adjudicated by Court ruling that is enforced.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

These are always funny questions. What do we have to know? What is there to know? By the way, what does a Thai know about Thailand???

Surprisingly very little. I don't think history is taught at school. Someone told me they study mythology but not history. Could someone more familiar with Thai school program please confirm (or not) ?

• Like 1

There's nothing wrong with the legal system.

It makes it clear that the foreigner has no place in the transaction. I sometimes wonder if some people are so thick that they cannot see that the Thai legal system is very fair to foreigners. It tells them in no uncertain terms, don't buy stuff you can't own in your own name.

Oh? you thought you'd be a smart-ass and try to wheedle round the law? So sad, too bad - who's the <deleted> now?

It's time farangs started to understand their place here, and stop whining like stuck pigs when they get it wrong.

Here we go: Just like a Turkey celebrating Christmas.

Let's throw a common reality into the discussion and see if you can work out where your arguments start to fall apart.

A foreigner marries a Thai woman and they start a family.

Like most people he wants to provide a secure environment for his family, so he he guarantees a mortgage in his wife's name to buy a home, he does so in full knowledge of the law and places - the loan he is guaranteeing, the final property exchange are in the name of his wife.

Now things go sour.

Was he a smart ass? Or was he a husband taking care of his family?

You just blew your own argument apart.

He was a smart-ass that thought he could wheedle his way around the laws and hey, wow, epic fail.