Thai kids with expired Thai passports, cannot leave Thailand. How to renew their Thai passports?

I'd liaise with New York to see if they can fix it quickly.

In the meantime I'd transfer my family to another house book in another district and try to get the child registered there.

• Like 1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"How would they do that with an expired passport."

I don't follow your thought here.

Did I say something that would require a valid Thai passport? Unintentional if I did.

In my scenario a new Thai passport wouldn't be applied for until they went back home, after leaving on the USA passport.

Since the child would get a Thai tourist visa, enter the country using it, they could then exit Thailand on the USA passport, the same one they recently entered the country on.

"How would they do that with an expired passport."

I don't follow your thought here.

Did I say something that would require a valid Thai passport? Unintentional if I did.

In my scenario a new Thai passport wouldn't be applied for until they went back home, after leaving on the USA passport.

Since the child would get a Thai tourist visa, enter the country using it, they could then exit Thailand on the USA passport, the same one they recently entered the country on.

They did not enter on their USA passport, so they can't exit on it as well. They have to exit on their Thai passport.

Edited by stevenl

read what Terry said. He advised exiting Thailand with a BORDER PASS to Laos then asking if they can switch/use both BP and US passport in Laos then come back on US passport.

Edited by parryhandy

read what Terry said. He advised exiting Thailand with a BORDER PASS to Laos then asking if they can switch/use both BP and US passport in Laos then come back on US passport.

Might work if the Laos immigration officer doesn't notice that they don't have any Thai departure stamps in the US passport. They usually make sure that you have been properly stamped out of Thailand before they let you in when crossing by land.

Update today, OP here : A friend in BKK sent a helper to smooth things out with the officer. Pretty much, I would say, a fixer guy. Case for my younger one was re-opened, and they restarted the process to put her name into the house book again. Will see if this will work.

Wife was told that without this fixer guy, officers would not like her enough and would give her a hard time (like what had happened). Wife asked, why?, do I look like a criminal to you? They simply said that she doesn't appear like a softie, no deference and pretty much summing it up to not begging them to do their job. Perhaps, you live abroad too long and forgot the Thai way? They asked.

Wife appeared too modern, and too educated? (but she forgot to renew her kids' passports!). Speak fluent northern Thai, fluent middle Thai and fluent English, with zero accents on any of these languages. She was told to switch from middle Thai to northern Thai in the middle of some conversation (when she deemed that speaking middle Thai would get things done faster). And, the officers seem uncomfortable with these abilities.

Tough going.

Difficult, isn't it? All we want was just something so simple, adding a name of our children as their birth right, it seems like the right wasn't really there.

How can you let the passports expire in the first place. Never ceases to amaze me how people let important things just slip. Good luck anyway.

Send from my Galaxy S4 4G LTE

They were Thai passports and he came prepared to renew them in Thailand. He's just had an <deleted> official.

Just want to give an update, OP here. Our young one finally got registered into the house book after much agony. We were helped by an official in BKK who sent us a fixer guy. The guy managed to pressure the higher up official and our daughter's name was finally registered. We went to renew her passport and should be getting it in a few days.

• Like 1

Just want to give an update, OP here. Our young one finally got registered into the house book after much agony. We were helped by an official in BKK who sent us a fixer guy. The guy managed to pressure the higher up official and our daughter's name was finally registered. We went to renew her passport and should be getting it in a few days.

Party tonight :)

Excellent news.

Excellent news.