TP Link Modem

wayned

I have a TP LInk wireless modem from TOT and can usually check the status by entering 192.168.1.1 and putting in "admin" for user name and password. The entire network went down yesterday and when it came back up I now get a message saying Protected Object and re asks for user name and password. I've run network scan and the IP address hasn't changed, Ive reset the modem and turned it off and back on but every time I try I get the same message, from three computers connected to it. Any suggestions as the net works fine! Just interested as I've been tracking SNR and CRC readings as there have been problems in the past with the connection at the TOT line extender amp

If the modem is older I would replace it, often they get strange when they get older.

If it is new and even after a factory reset acts the same than it is broken.

But check with the guide if the IP is correct. I got strange problems when my computer was 192.168.0.32 and the modem 192.168.1.1. Changing the computer to 192.168.1.32 and I could access everything.

Ip is correct and modem is fairly new. I suspect that something in the modem just went "tits up". Getting a new one from TOT will be a real treat!

Edited by wayned

Sounds like it may be time to Reset the modem.....press the reset button for approx 15 seconds which resets it to its default firmware settings and firmware logon User ID/password. But you'll also need to know any specific TOT settings to get it to reconnect to the TOT network to include the TOT User ID/password issued for your account.

• Like 1

I know all of the TOT settings as this is my 4th modem. I've tried the reset and held it for over 30 seconds and it does absolutely nothing so I think the box is at fault. Fortunately all the box connects to the internet and works fine, just the access to the network info doesn't work.

I never had a problem with my TP Link modem from TOT until a few days ago. Then I had a CCTV system installed and their engineer was having problems linking it to the internet. He eventually phoned TOT and explained the problem to them. They advised him to reset the modem. After doing this he couldn't access the modem at all via the IP address and, after a further call to TOT, they said the modem was faulty.

They gave me a new modem free of charge at their local office the following day and everything worked fine with the new modem.

Just strange that I could still access the internet before and while the CCTV engineer was trying to set up the website. I only lost the internet after TOT told him to do a reset.

I know all of the TOT settings as this is my 4th modem. I've tried the reset and held it for over 30 seconds and it does absolutely nothing so I think the box is at fault. Fortunately all the box connects to the internet and works fine, just the access to the network info doesn't work.

TOT engineers had to replace our TP-Link modem as well after less than a week's use. They told us that they've been busy driving around town replacing many of them, a bad batch.

Posted Yesterday, 07:54
[...] I have a TP LInk wireless modem from TOT and can usually check the status by entering 192.168.1.1 and putting in "admin" for user name and password. The entire network went down yesterday and when it came back up I now get a message saying Protected Object and re asks for user name and password.
[...]

Protected Object is the normal response to a blank/failed login attempt.

You might want to try reflashing the firmware.

Though, if the reset button doesn't want to cooperate... I still recommend getting it swapped out.

the only thing I can think of is that someone hacked into your modem and changed the login, the first thing you do is reset it then using a LAN cable direct to you PC - change the SSID and password then change the admin admin to something else - you mention you have 3 PC's connected - it could be another known user or someone living near by has been using your internet - hardly a surprise since admin admin is easy to exploit