Suggestions for a decent half-day ride?

BKKBike09

Interested in hearing suggestions for quick trips when you just want to get out of Bangkok for a couple of hours. From Chonburi onwards there seem to be some decent bits of road like the one that skirts the Bang Phra reservoir (as per the pic). Surface is good, road is quite wide and there are some good corners. I wish they'd hurry up and finish digging up the Bangna-Trat highway though. Going east suits me because I'm starting from Phrakhanong.

post-212467-0-50030900-1403414432_thumb.

The BangNa-Trat highway is a nightmare at the moment. Outbound, large sections of the road beneath the elevated expressway are under construction forcing everyone to use the frontage road. Inbound is a little better, but not much. Horrible for bikes. Fighting ten-wheelers for lane space isn't fun.

From Prakhanong, you can hop over the Bhumipol bridge onto Suksawat and head south but most highways leaving Bangkok are poor rides, whether it's BangNa-Trat, Rama 2, Vipawadee-Rangsit etc.

You can't get too far out of Bangkok on a half-dayer. Full day trips to either Khao Yai or Kanchanaburi are recommended.

Suzuki GSX-R1000 L3 182 hp in-line 4 Superbike

The BangNa-Trat highway is a nightmare at the moment. Outbound, large sections of the road beneath the elevated expressway are under construction forcing everyone to use the frontage road. Inbound is a little better, but not much. Horrible for bikes. Fighting ten-wheelers for lane space isn't fun.

From Prakhanong, you can hop over the Bhumipol bridge onto Suksawat and head south but most highways leaving Bangkok are poor rides, whether it's BangNa-Trat, Rama 2, Vipawadee-Rangsit etc.

You can't get too far out of Bangkok on a half-dayer. Full day trips to either Khao Yai or Kanchanaburi are recommended.

Thanks. I've been riding on and off here for 25 years so know all too well how crap the main roads out of Bangkok can be.

On Bangna-Trat I wouldn't mind so much if it was 'only' 10-wheelers. Yesterday morning it was thick with 18-wheelers and buses. Thought I was doing okay inbound till I hit a pothole and bottomed out the forks :(

Try the new circuit around Suwannaphum Airport or one of the many routes through Phraphadaeng.

Thanks. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it just a bicycle track around the airport? I've cycled in Phraphradaeng in the past and it was great on a bicycle. I suspect however that large motorcycles hooning around wouldn't be very popular.

Try the new circuit around Suwannaphum Airport or one of the many routes through Phraphadaeng.

Thanks. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it just a bicycle track around the airport? I've cycled in Phraphradaeng in the past and it was great on a bicycle. I suspect however that large motorcycles hooning around wouldn't be very popular.

My apologies, I had thought you were interested in a bicycle ride. For a motorcycle ride, you should definitely steer clear of the track around the airport!

Yup, half day rides sucks in Bkk. unless you go on a sunday very early but that is not suited for everyone :)

If I want to spend just an hour or two I go by rama 3, living in Sathon that is the best way out of the city and from there see where I end up, mostly taking a big loop to the left and back to rama 3 again by bhumibol 1 brigde (not allowed for bikes same as the many fly overs on rama 3 but Never saw them checking there). So maybe choose your times slightly. around Nakon panthom are also some semi decent roads

• Like 1

A couple of us are trying to get a ride organized for this weekend. A lot of riders are busy with work though.

We prefer overnighters and are looking at leaving for Kanchanaburi Friday afternoon (after work 4.30ish) and then Hua Hin Saturday. Or maybe just sat/sun if people can't do Friday afternoon.

Mostly 600/litre sportsbikes and fairly fast riding, but not crazy fast.

Anyone interested, (or just for future rides) drop me a pm and I'll add you to our Line group. Got 12 riders so far.

• Like 1