Penalty for riding on the expressway?

Nayet

Going back to Bangkok from Pattaya yesterday, I was trying to find a safe route where I could legally ride back to Bangkok via Samut Prakahn, and the next thing I knew I was on the expressway. Knowing that riding a motorbike on the expressway is illegal, I took the next exit but was asked by a toll booth attendant to pull over, and her colleague came over, jotted down my license plate number and then let me go.

I asked them why they had to write down my license place number, but I only understood the part where they said that motorbikes aren't allowed on the expressway. Has this ever happened to anyone of you guys? Do they just give the info to the police so they can track me down and fine me?

Yeah, I got caught out coming back from Pattaya just after they'd installed the toll booths. I managed to sneak through a gap between gate and booth and jump off at the next exit.

Coming back from Pattaya, you have to do a left at the Chonburi exit. You can't miss it as there's a big flyover there. Strangely, there're no toll Booths going to Pattaya from Bangkok.

Suzuki GSX-R1000 L3 182 hp in-line 4 Superbike

I had the same thing happen to me.

They told me to wait and then the highway police came.

Wanted 500 baht, cash in hand or they would take the bike.

Settled on 200 baht. I could continue on the tollway but had to leave at the next exit.

First mistake was stopping.

Second was waiting.

Remember, you're dealing with the Thai Highway police here. They're not the NYPD or the London Metropolitan police.

• Like 2

First mistake was stopping.

Second was waiting.

Remember, you're dealing with the Thai Highway police here. They're not the NYPD or the London Metropolitan police.

Agree. You get on one of those ramps (accidentally) & you're committed. You can apologize all you want but they only see it as a pocket inflating opportunity.